Hi there - New and a bit overwhelmed

  • ravenslake12
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
      Greetings everyone!
      Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she does not get enthusiastic very easily.
      So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange, wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very contradictory. I think I live in Shire of Ravenslake in the Middle kingdom.
      I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably just post one question at a time. haha

      I look forward to getting to know some of you :)
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
        Hi, welcome.

        Yep, overwhelming. Even when you have been there for 18 years. ;)

        Step back. Pennsic is not the day-to-day SCA.

        Can I assume you have been here -- http://www.ravenslake.org/welcome.html

        Contact Jenna at the bottom of the page.

        And feel free to ask away.

        Liam
        East Kingdom

      • Bambi TBNL
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
          First things first. Contact your local sensual. Me please even have ew comers meeting so you can begin fro seeing stuff hands on. You cn go to local filter practices, grocery practiced artsabd sciences days and ask away . This here group id a great place ro start bury if you have never attend rvrn ance meeting brfotrehou can get a lot of inspiration from folks who've does it befor ya. And welcome !!!!
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
            Liam gave you excellent advice! If you haven't already, visit the website
            for your local group that he mentioned, and get in touch with the
            chatelaine (person who helps newcomers).

            There is an awful lot of info on both the SCA, and Pennsic online. The
            Midrealm's chatelaine, Lady Phillipa keeps a website with information for
            newcomers, there are very good resources there as well.
            http://www.midrealm.org/chatelaine/newcomer.php

            Best of luck!
            Alison
            East Kingdom

            --
            ~Alison

          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
              On 6/6/2012 4:29 PM, ravenslake12 wrote:
              > Greetings everyone!
              > Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she does not get enthusiastic very easily.
              > So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange, wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very contradictory. I think I live in Shire of Ravenslake in the Middle kingdom.
              > I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably just post one question at a time. haha

              Ask away! And one at a time (or at least on related topics) might be
              best -- it will be easier to follow the questions and answers! :-D

              > I look forward to getting to know some of you :)

              I live in south Georgia (in Meridies). Never done Pennsic, but I do
              adore Gulf Wars! (and I'll over the fiber stuff [needlework and costuming])

              Jerusha Kilgore
              --
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
                Greetings.
                Contact with others having your interest, is the key.  Tell the Chatelaine where your interest lies, he/she will put you in touch with others of that interest, and they will all be most helpful.  When I joined about a year ago, I contacted our local Chatelaine, told her I was interested in archery, and she gave the the ph# for the local archer's group.  Each week at practice I asked questions.  The other archers, some of whom have been doing this for 20+ years, have all kinds of helpful info.I would also suggest that, if possible, you attend the monthly barony/shire business meetings.  There you will get to meet others from other interest groups, and you will pick up a lot of info about how things work and what is happening around your barony/shire.

                GwilymEK - Barony Beyond The Mountain

                Liam gave you excellent advice! If you haven't already, visit the website
                for your local group that he mentioned, and get in touch with the
                chatelaine (person who helps newcomers).

                There is an awful lot of info on both the SCA, and Pennsic online. The
                Midrealm's chatelaine, Lady Phillipa keeps a website with information for
                newcomers, there are very good resources there as well.
                http://www.midrealm.org/chatelaine/newcomer.php

                Best of luck!
                Alison
                East Kingdom

                On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM, ravenslake12 <athomas0042@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Greetings everyone!
                > Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping excursion she
                > called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family go with next year.
                > I knew it must be something special because she does not get enthusiastic
                > very easily.
                > So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange, wonderful
                > world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my head is
                > spinning. Some of the info I have found is very contradictory. I think I
                > live in Shire of Ravenslake in the Middle kingdom.
                > I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the arts,
                > fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably just post
                > one question at a time. haha
                >
                > I look forward to getting to know some of you :)

                --
                ~Alison

              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
                  "Ravens Lake" asked:
                  <<< Last year my best friend came home from some crazy camping
                  excursion she called Pennsic. She pretty much insisted that my family
                  go with next year. I knew it must be something special because she
                  does not get enthusiastic very easily. >>>

                  Pennsic IS special.

                  Realize that no other SCA event is like Pennsic. It is the largest SCA
                  event held and at two weeks it is the longest SCA event around,
                  although Gulf Wars is now a week long. But you can have 13,000 people
                  at Pennsic and, I think, the next biggest is Estrella or Gulf Wars
                  with *only* 4000. Local events tend to be smaller and only a weekend.
                  Usually say 30 people to 800. But they are closer, at least for most
                  of us. Pennsic is a 27 hour drive each way for me from Ansteorra,
                  which is the SCA kingdom that includes most of Texas and all of
                  Oklahoma.

                  I've been to somewhere around a dozen Pennsics, starting at Pennsic
                  21. And it's kind of silly, I guess, but that last bit of road turning
                  off the interstate makes me think "I'm coming home". For one thing,
                  having just left Texas, it is much greener and cooler, in August. :-)

                  <<< So I stared looking into Pennsic and discovered the strange,
                  wonderful world of the SCA. Wow! There is so much information that my
                  head is spinning. Some of the info I have found is very
                  contradictory.>>>

                  Likely. Two different people may give you different answers, not only
                  because they are two different people, but there are regional and
                  kingdom differences throughout the SCA.

                  For some more ideas and details and sometimes just interesting info,
                  take a look at the PENNSIC section in the Florilegium. See the
                  address in my signature block below. Here are a few of the files which
                  I think you might find the most useful or interesting.

                  New-2-Pennsic-msg (56K) 7/15/11 Information for those new to Pennsic.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html

                  Pennsic-leter-art (8K) 1/29/06 "A letter from Pennsic" (in persona)
                  by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-leter-art.html

                  Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
                  Prep"
                  by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

                  P-Thngs-To-Do-art (8K) 11/20/11 “Things To Do At Pennsic” by Lady
                  Katharine of Caithness.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-Thngs-To-Do-art.html

                  <<< I have so very many questions regarding SCA membership, the
                  arts, fighting, participating in events... I think I should probably
                  just post one question at a time. haha >>>

                  The SCA is a place you can do LOTS of things. You may be tempted to
                  try to do everything. Don't. I've been in the SCA almost 23 years. I
                  know a number of people who have been in longer. There has to be quite
                  a bit of "depth" in an organization to keep people interested and
                  doing something for that long.

                  To give you an idea of the depth of the SCA, my Florilegium site now
                  has 2300 different files on a wide variety of subjects and I'm still
                  adding material as I can. But there is still a lot of stuff left to
                  research and do.

                  People participate and stay in the SCA for different reasons. At the
                  risk of overloading you more, check out the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section of
                  the Florilegium some time for things such as:
                  magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
                  SCA.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/magic-moments-msg.html

                  And to help a bit with your newness, I would recommend that the first
                  section you look at in the Florilegium is the NEWCOMERS section, with
                  files like:
                  clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
                  clothing.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html

                  Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
                  Newcomers"
                  by Dietmar Reinhart von
                  Straubing and
                  Malachias von Morgenstern.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

                  courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
                  period.
                  Hand-kissing and bowing.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

                  Feast-Basket-art (7K) 10/18/00 "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket: a
                  guide for
                  newcomers" by Lady Jehanne de
                  Huguenin.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html

                  There is a lot of info available online these days, but I would still
                  recommend buying a copy of the latest Known World Handbook from SCA-
                  Inc in California. Some groups even buy batches of these to resell to
                  newcomers. While up a bit in price from when I bought my first copy,
                  it is still a rather good price for all the info that is in it.
                  KW-Handbook-msg (12K) 11/25/10 Comments about the Known World
                  Handbook.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/KW-Handbook-msg.html

                  Oh yes, you don't have to be a paid SCA member to participate, even to
                  fight. However if you are going to attend more than a few events a
                  year, it is actually cheaper to go ahead and buy a membership and
                  avoid the non-member surcharge that is required at each event you
                  aren't a paid member. The SCA has usually had around 25,000 paid
                  members and one to two times that number of participate as unpaid
                  members. So while it sounds like you are going to like the SCA, we're
                  not here just to take your money. You can play for a while and then
                  decide if it is for you without committing to an annual membership.

                  Please feel free to ask more questions here or to email them to me.

                  Stefan
                  --------
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                • ravenslake12
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2012
                    Thank you to everyone for all the info and warm welcome!!

                    My schedule for most of this month is quite busy so I may not be able to attend many events or meetings just yet.

                    However, that should give me some time to read read read about my interests so I don't come off as a complete newbie. And of course there are all the nice people here to help me out :)
                    Thanks again :)