Re: I could use some intro articles

  • Genoveva von Lubeck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012

      > It has come to my attention in talking to Christine, from this list,
      > that I really could use some short, simple articles for the NEWCOMERS
      > section in the Florilegium about various SCA activities.
      >
      > Just a quick description of some of the details of what is done in a
      > particular SCA activity. Something that might give folks an idea of
      > whether they might wish to look into a particular SCa activity further.

      Ask and ye shall receive! I've written a short article called, "Children in the SCA: In Introduction for Newcomers" at:
      http://honorbeforevictory.com/children-in-the-sca-an-introduction-for-newcomers/

      The article covers some of the ways kids can get involved in the SCA, and how parents can encourage it (and why they should). I think the SCA is a wonderful opportunity for children!

      If you'd like to use the article, e-mail me at genoveva.von.lubeck (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll send you a signed release form.

      Genoveva von Lubeck

      Chatelaine for the Barony of Cynnabar - http://www.cynnabar.org

      My SCA Blog: http://HonorBeforeVictory.com
      My A&S Site: http://GermanRenaissance.net
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
        Siobhan replied to my request with:
        <<< stefan.. My name is Siobhan. I am a crewman to the Free Ship
        Briar Rose, Wolf of Shadow Legion, and Member of the Gleann Abhann
        Brewers Guild. I will see what I can come up with. I am fairly new
        ( only been playing 5 years) and I would like to pass on some knoledge
        of what I have learned. >>>

        Wonderful! "Fairly new" is playing for 5 years? Lol. I can remember a
        Rialto discussion years ago about "When are you no longer a
        newcomer?". There wasn't a concensus then, either. :-)

        I have been a bit longer now, since I joined in 1988, but I'm not
        completely sure what a "Ship" is? Is it just a nautically oriented
        household? Or something more/else? And what makes it "free"? It's too
        rundown to sell? :-)

        <<< Right now a friend and I are doing an A&S project about fiber arts
        called From Sheep to Garb. We are raising our own sheep for wool,
        going to dye it , spin it ,weeve it and sew it. going to take years to
        complete.. it is going to be fun..>>>

        That's hardly a short file for beginners. :-) But yes, I would
        eventually like to have an article or series of articles on this.
        More on your personal experiences and what you learn along the way as
        I do have a few files on various aspects of what you are likely to be
        getting yourself info. If you haven't looked at them, they might be of
        use.

        If you decide to give up on this project early, see this file: :-)
        lamb-mutton-msg (160K) 7/15/11 Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/lamb-mutton-msg.html

        There are several files in the TEXTILE ARTS section which might let
        you learn from other's mistakes and successes.
        wool-clean-msg (26K) 4/ 7/08 Cleaning wool before spinning.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-clean-msg.html

        wool-combing-msg (12K) 4/15/10 Wool carding and combing. History.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-combing-msg.html

        There are also some files on dyeing and spinning as well.

        I have heard of "sheep to shawl" competitions done at various large
        SCA events, although I've never had the patience or been willing to
        spend that much of my time at a single event on even watching such a
        competition.

        <<< Anyway. I will write some stuff about what i have learned in the
        SCA.>>>

        Your project is a good example of the different kinds of things one
        can do in the SCA, even in just a small corner of what we do.

        Thanks,
        Stefan

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris