I could use some intro articles

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2012
      It has come to my attention in talking to Christine, from this list,
      that I really could use some short, simple articles for the NEWCOMERS
      section in the Florilegium about various SCA activities.

      Just a quick description of some of the details of what is done in a
      particular SCA activity. Something that might give folks an idea of
      whether they might wish to look into a particular SCa activity further.

      I have several articles which describe what kinds of things we do,
      crammed into a few pages, and have I have a lot more detailed articles
      for individual activities, but I think something in-between would be
      nice. I'm thinking about a page or a couple of pages.

      Ideas:
      Archery (combat and target archery)
      medieval cooking (individually and for feasts, research?)
      scribal arts (calligraphy and illunination)
      Armored combat (the basics)
      Rapier combat (again, the basics)
      A rundown of various crafts done
      Pets?
      Children?
      brewing? (we brew beers, meads, wines and make cordials. We make some
      non-alcoholic drinks etc.)
      We study and make clothing

      As on all articles, the author keeps the copyright and can update or
      ask for removal, at any time. And multiple articles from different
      authors are welcomed as different people have different opinions and
      approach things differently. And I have no problem with an article
      being published elsewhere from the Florilegium, either before or after
      it appears there. So you might wish to submit it to your local
      newsletter as well.

      Comments? Suggestions?

      New folks? What do you think should be covered which isn't being
      covered? What do you wish you'd have more information on when you were
      new (newer?) to the Society?

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Linda hightower

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2012
          Greetings Stefan,

          There are a couple articles on the East Kingdom Chatelaine website that I
          wrote, which you are welcome to use. I will adding a few other articles I
          wrote as well. They are about attending your first event, first feast etc.
          Http://chatelaine.eastkingdom.org/newcomer.html

          Alison Wodehalle
          East Kingdom Chatelaine
          On May 31, 2012 12:42 AM, "Stefan li Rous" <stefanlirous@...>
          wrote:

          > **
          >

          > It has come to my attention in talking to Christine, from this list,
          > that I really could use some short, simple articles for the NEWCOMERS
          > section in the Florilegium about various SCA activities.
          >
          > Just a quick description of some of the details of what is done in a
          > particular SCA activity. Something that might give folks an idea of
          > whether they might wish to look into a particular SCa activity further.
          >
          > I have several articles which describe what kinds of things we do,
          > crammed into a few pages, and have I have a lot more detailed articles
          > for individual activities, but I think something in-between would be
          > nice. I'm thinking about a page or a couple of pages.
          >
          > Ideas:
          > Archery (combat and target archery)
          > medieval cooking (individually and for feasts, research?)
          > scribal arts (calligraphy and illunination)
          > Armored combat (the basics)
          > Rapier combat (again, the basics)
          > A rundown of various crafts done
          > Pets?
          > Children?
          > brewing? (we brew beers, meads, wines and make cordials. We make some
          > non-alcoholic drinks etc.)
          > We study and make clothing
          >
          > As on all articles, the author keeps the copyright and can update or
          > ask for removal, at any time. And multiple articles from different
          > authors are welcomed as different people have different opinions and
          > approach things differently. And I have no problem with an article
          > being published elsewhere from the Florilegium, either before or after
          > it appears there. So you might wish to submit it to your local
          > newsletter as well.
          >
          > Comments? Suggestions?
          >
          > New folks? What do you think should be covered which isn't being
          > covered? What do you wish you'd have more information on when you were
          > new (newer?) to the Society?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Stefan
          >
          > --------

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2012
            On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 23:32 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
            > It has come to my attention in talking to Christine, from this list,
            > that I really could use some short, simple articles for the
            > NEWCOMERS
            > section in the Florilegium about various SCA activities.

            One possible source for finding these:

            http://www.scatoday.net/newcomers

            (Full disclosure: I am the publisher of SCAtoday.net. I don't normally
            plug our site here, but it's directly relevant to your question.)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Genoveva von Lubeck
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012

              > It has come to my attention in talking to Christine, from this list,
              > that I really could use some short, simple articles for the NEWCOMERS
              > section in the Florilegium about various SCA activities.
              >
              > Just a quick description of some of the details of what is done in a
              > particular SCA activity. Something that might give folks an idea of
              > whether they might wish to look into a particular SCa activity further.

              Ask and ye shall receive! I've written a short article called, "Children in the SCA: In Introduction for Newcomers" at:
              http://honorbeforevictory.com/children-in-the-sca-an-introduction-for-newcomers/

              The article covers some of the ways kids can get involved in the SCA, and how parents can encourage it (and why they should). I think the SCA is a wonderful opportunity for children!

              If you'd like to use the article, e-mail me at genoveva.von.lubeck (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll send you a signed release form.

              Genoveva von Lubeck

              Chatelaine for the Barony of Cynnabar - http://www.cynnabar.org

              My SCA Blog: http://HonorBeforeVictory.com
              My A&S Site: http://GermanRenaissance.net
            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
                Siobhan replied to my request with:
                <<< stefan.. My name is Siobhan. I am a crewman to the Free Ship
                Briar Rose, Wolf of Shadow Legion, and Member of the Gleann Abhann
                Brewers Guild. I will see what I can come up with. I am fairly new
                ( only been playing 5 years) and I would like to pass on some knoledge
                of what I have learned. >>>

                Wonderful! "Fairly new" is playing for 5 years? Lol. I can remember a
                Rialto discussion years ago about "When are you no longer a
                newcomer?". There wasn't a concensus then, either. :-)

                I have been a bit longer now, since I joined in 1988, but I'm not
                completely sure what a "Ship" is? Is it just a nautically oriented
                household? Or something more/else? And what makes it "free"? It's too
                rundown to sell? :-)

                <<< Right now a friend and I are doing an A&S project about fiber arts
                called From Sheep to Garb. We are raising our own sheep for wool,
                going to dye it , spin it ,weeve it and sew it. going to take years to
                complete.. it is going to be fun..>>>

                That's hardly a short file for beginners. :-) But yes, I would
                eventually like to have an article or series of articles on this.
                More on your personal experiences and what you learn along the way as
                I do have a few files on various aspects of what you are likely to be
                getting yourself info. If you haven't looked at them, they might be of
                use.

                If you decide to give up on this project early, see this file: :-)
                lamb-mutton-msg (160K) 7/15/11 Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/lamb-mutton-msg.html

                There are several files in the TEXTILE ARTS section which might let
                you learn from other's mistakes and successes.
                wool-clean-msg (26K) 4/ 7/08 Cleaning wool before spinning.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-clean-msg.html

                wool-combing-msg (12K) 4/15/10 Wool carding and combing. History.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/wool-combing-msg.html

                There are also some files on dyeing and spinning as well.

                I have heard of "sheep to shawl" competitions done at various large
                SCA events, although I've never had the patience or been willing to
                spend that much of my time at a single event on even watching such a
                competition.

                <<< Anyway. I will write some stuff about what i have learned in the
                SCA.>>>

                Your project is a good example of the different kinds of things one
                can do in the SCA, even in just a small corner of what we do.

                Thanks,
                Stefan

                --------
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris