Stefan's Florilegium article for May

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2012
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Happy 46th Birthday to the SCA!

      It's hard to believe I've been playing this game for half that time!

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May detailing what is new
      in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      --------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ANIMALS section:
      British-Sheep-art "A History of Sheep Breeds in Britain" by
      Maistreas Siobhan nic Dhuinnshleibhe, OL
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      The-Yule-Log-art "The Yule Log" by Lady Katharine of Caithness.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      Mk-Pole-Lathe-art "Making and Using a Pole Lathe" by Lowrens
      Wilyamson.
      In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
      Cards-a-Dice-art "Some Cards and Dice Games" by mistress
      katherine kerr.
      In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
      Trestle-Table-art "A Trestle Table for Under $35"
      by Lady Genoveva von Lübeck.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      SCA-Feasts-art "Orts It All About, Alfred? - (Attending your
      first year or two of SCA Feasts)" by Lady
      Caterina della Pieri.
      In the PEOPLE AND PLACES section:
      Braveheart-art "The Real Braveheart" by Lady Marion of
      Heatherdale.
      In the PERSONAL CARE section:
      M-Aprodisiacs-art "Medieval Aphrodisiacs" by Baroness Anastasia
      Alexandrovna Andreeva, OL
      In the SCRIBAL ARTS section:
      Beg-C-Pntng-art "Getting Started - A $25 Materials Guide For
      Beginning Charter Painters" by Rose the
      Obnoxious.
      In the STRUCTURES section:
      On-Pavilions-art "Things I've Learned the Hard Way" by Lady
      Isabelle LaFar.
      In the WEDDINGS section:
      Mdvl-Weddngs-art "Weddings in Medieval Times" by Lady Katharine
      of Caithness.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      liver-msg Medieval cooking of liver. Recipes.
      nuts-msg Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
      Poland-msg Medieval Poland. References.
      rattan-msg Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
      rabbit-dishes-msg Period rabbit and hare recipes.
      shields-msg SCA and period shields.
      shoemaking-msg Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
      tent-care-msg Care of tents. waterproofing, washing.
      vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
      ---
      Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Unless you are an editor in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, where
      the kingdom chronicler has declared it can not be used unless it comes
      with a copy of the kingdom's release, which happens to be impossible
      to include in an email to the lists. Email me if you need a more
      explicit release and we will work something out. Removing any of the
      updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited
      publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be
      edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • mamadobble
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2012
        I just saw your Florilegium yesterday, after I posted my request. Over the last twelve hours, your Florilegium has been invaluable. Thank you very much for keeping it up. It has made my searches for sources 1000x easier!

        Thank you very much!
        -Christine

> [...]
        > shoemaking-msg Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
        > tent-care-msg Care of tents. waterproofing, washing.
        > vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
        > ---
        > Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
        > publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
        > unchanged. Unless you are an editor in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, where
        > the kingdom chronicler has declared it can not be used unless it comes
        > with a copy of the kingdom's release, which happens to be impossible
        > to include in an email to the lists. Email me if you need a more
        > explicit release and we will work something out. Removing any of the
        > updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited
        > publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be
        > edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      • Tisha elf
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2012
          Christine
          I was told to go to this site
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/%c2%a0and look up names. This is one of the sources they use for documentation and it is what i  used to get my name, Abbatissa ingen Iohn. My Family history traces one branch to 1645 on the isle of Arran in Scotland. The history of the isle was that the viking inhabated it from 800 to 1100 when it because part of scotland. So i went Viking clothling because it was so simple to make. I was told by one of the people in my barony (Three Rivers) that later period 1200-1600 they mostly wore the same things that everyone else did in England.
          Lady Abbatissa

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > shoemaking-msg Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
          > tent-care-msg Care of tents. waterproofing, washing.
          > vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
          > ---
          > Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
          > publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
          > unchanged. Unless you are an editor in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, where
          > the kingdom chronicler has declared it can not be used unless it comes
          > with a copy of the kingdom's release, which happens to be impossible
          > to include in an email to the lists. Email me if you need a more
          > explicit release and we will work something out. Removing any of the
          > updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited
          > publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be
          > edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

        • ravenslake12
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2012
            I too really appreciate all the effort that goes into your Florilegium. Everytime I come up with a new question I check there first.