Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question for newcomers

  • heatherajp@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
      When & where is the next newcomers meeting.....new to the area but an old member.
      Thanx Heathyr P

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2012
        Don't worry about picking and keeping a name or a device in your first
        year. Take your time and settle into something you will like. Explore
        your options, try a few things on for your name and/or device and see what
        you like. Never let anyone bully you into a name by threatening to pick
        one for you.

        Also, as you mentioned in your list, take your time to explore and find the
        things that you want to do. It is very easy in the SCA to get sucked into
        a lot of activities so try to limit yourself to two or three things you
        like to do. Explore many, pick few. Then worry about improving and being
        proficient at your activity (ies). Nobody got great overnight at what they
        do, so don't worry if you're not.

        Ian

        On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Greetings, all!
        >
        > I am planning an SCA 102 class for Pennsic. It'll be open to anyone, but
        > the focus is on newcomers who have some of the basics down and want to
        > learn more.
        >
        > I am planning the class with the following assumptions:
        >
        > You have been to at least one SCA event/meeting.
        >
        > You know your kingdom and local group.
        >
        > You have at least thought about a name if you don't have one yet.
        >
        > You understand the idea of a persona.
        >
        > You may be starting to develop interests.
        >
        > You get the whole "Lord/Lady" thing and have a clue about awards.
        >
        > Maybe you have been to court. At least, you know what court is.
        >
        > You have at least one piece of garb.
        >
        > With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:
        >
        > Awards
        >
        > Peerages
        >
        > Titles
        >
        > Officer positions
        >
        > "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"
        >
        > General structure of the SCA
        >
        > General SCA geography/
        >
        > *****
        >
        > This is where you come in.
        >
        > What am I missing. I have been around a bit, so I might forget what it's
        > like for folks six months or a year into the SCA.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Liam

        Yours In Service,

        Lord Ian the Green

      • Tom Hickey
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2012
          Very informative post  Thank you.

          ________________________________

          <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
          > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What
          > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
          > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
          > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
          > "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues,
          > so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or
          > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
          >
          > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
          > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
          >
          > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Caissene

          ~Alison

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2012
            Heathyr, you'll need to let us know where you are located before we can help you. This is a world-wide list for SCA newcomers.

            Lancaster PA

> [...]

            > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
            > <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
            >> am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
            >> kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
            >> colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
            >> persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
            >> "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
            >> so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
            >> specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
            >>
            >> And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
            >> handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
            >>
            >> Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

          • Chuck Burke
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              Heathyr,

              First off, welcome back to the fold!

              Where are you located? This is an "open" newcomers' list, with folks from
              all over the Known World. If you are more specific about your location,
              you're more likely to find someone who can point you to a local newcomers'
              night.

              Yours in Service,
              Dragos Pelikanos
              "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                Yes, I'm in the Barony of the three mountains in
                The Kingdom of An Tir.... thank you for your help
                Heather P

                Sent from my iPhone