Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question for newcomers

  • Alison Choyce
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
      Great questions! I am a costuming junkie, so I will jump in on this
      question. For starting out, it is easiest to go with basics. If you ever
      get into doing research yourself on your persona's culture, you may find
      more information than you think.

      Try to use linen and wool if you can (not everyone has the funds or a
      source, but it was used more than cotton, and in more places and times than
      cotton).

      Linen was used for underclothing, veils, coifs, shifts, undershirts,
      braies, etc. In the SCA we extend that to some of our outergarments as
      well, because it is so comfortable in summer in the US, and has the right
      'drape' for period clothing. Try http://fabrics-store.com/ , they have many
      colors, the medium weight is good for most uses, and the 3.5oz or
      lightweight is great for lightweight shifts.

      Wool was used much of everything else, gowns, cloaks, stockings, hats, etc.
      Wool flannel has a basic tabby weave that used throughout period, and is
      available from many sources in a variety of colors. They did have a variety
      of interesting weaves in period, but those can be hard to get today,
      especially in a cost effective version. Try
      http://www.bblackandsons.com/and look under the flannel section.

      Silk was available to those who could afford it. And cotton was available
      but was more expensive than silk, and harder to get.

      There are a few books you might want to look into. One is titled Dress in
      Ireland by Mairead Dunlevy, and also the Warp Weighted Loom by Marta
      Hoffman, which will discuss fabrics that would have been available.

      As to colors, you might want to choose colors that look like they could
      have been gotten with a natural dye, florescents are, to my eye, a bit too
      bright. Fabric that we would call tartan or plaid today were certainly
      woven then, not in the current way of thinking that a certain pattern
      belongs to a specific family. Jacquard weaves were not possible until there
      significant innovations in looms and weaving around the 14th century. So
      tabby or twill (which can have many variations) were the weaves available.

      Good luck!

      Alison Wodehalle

      On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
      <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
      > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
      > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
      > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
      > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
      > "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
      > so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
      > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
      >
      > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
      > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
      >
      > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
      >
      > YIS,
      > Caissene

      ~Alison

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
        When & where is the next newcomers meeting.....new to the area but an old member.
        Thanx Heathyr P

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Ian Green
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2012
          Don't worry about picking and keeping a name or a device in your first
          year. Take your time and settle into something you will like. Explore
          your options, try a few things on for your name and/or device and see what
          you like. Never let anyone bully you into a name by threatening to pick
          one for you.

          Also, as you mentioned in your list, take your time to explore and find the
          things that you want to do. It is very easy in the SCA to get sucked into
          a lot of activities so try to limit yourself to two or three things you
          like to do. Explore many, pick few. Then worry about improving and being
          proficient at your activity (ies). Nobody got great overnight at what they
          do, so don't worry if you're not.

          Ian

          On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Greetings, all!
          >
          > I am planning an SCA 102 class for Pennsic. It'll be open to anyone, but
          > the focus is on newcomers who have some of the basics down and want to
          > learn more.
          >
          > I am planning the class with the following assumptions:
          >
          > You have been to at least one SCA event/meeting.
          >
          > You know your kingdom and local group.
          >
          > You have at least thought about a name if you don't have one yet.
          >
          > You understand the idea of a persona.
          >
          > You may be starting to develop interests.
          >
          > You get the whole "Lord/Lady" thing and have a clue about awards.
          >
          > Maybe you have been to court. At least, you know what court is.
          >
          > You have at least one piece of garb.
          >
          > With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:
          >
          > Awards
          >
          > Peerages
          >
          > Titles
          >
          > Officer positions
          >
          > "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"
          >
          > General structure of the SCA
          >
          > General SCA geography/
          >
          > *****
          >
          > This is where you come in.
          >
          > What am I missing. I have been around a bit, so I might forget what it's
          > like for folks six months or a year into the SCA.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Liam

          Yours In Service,

          Lord Ian the Green

        • Tom Hickey
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2012
            Very informative post  Thank you.

            ________________________________

            <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
            > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What
            > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
            > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
            > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
            > "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues,
            > so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or
            > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
            >
            > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
            > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
            >
            > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
            >
            > YIS,
            > Caissene

            ~Alison

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              Heathyr, you'll need to let us know where you are located before we can help you. This is a world-wide list for SCA newcomers.

              Lancaster PA

> [...]

              > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
              > <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
              >> am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
              >> kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
              >> colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
              >> persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
              >> "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
              >> so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
              >> specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
              >>
              >> And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
              >> handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
              >>
              >> Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

            • Chuck Burke
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                Heathyr,

                First off, welcome back to the fold!

                Where are you located? This is an "open" newcomers' list, with folks from
                all over the Known World. If you are more specific about your location,
                you're more likely to find someone who can point you to a local newcomers'
                night.

                Yours in Service,
                Dragos Pelikanos
                "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                  Yes, I'm in the Barony of the three mountains in
                  The Kingdom of An Tir.... thank you for your help
                  Heather P

                  Sent from my iPhone