fwd: [MR] Artists: a Chance to Merchant at Pennsic

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2012
      I am forwarding this from the Atlantia list because I think it is an
      excellent opportunity for someone who might wish to test their toes in
      the water of SCA merchanting. I don't think I've met Henry Best in
      person, but I've seen his postings on the SCA lists for many years.

      Stefan
      ===========
      Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:22:14 -0400
      From: "Henry Best" <henry@...>
      To: <atlantia@...>
      Subject: [MR] Artists: a Chance to Merchant at Pennsic

      If you are an SCA artist and would like a painless and supportive way
      to try
      merchanting your art at Pennsic this summer, read on!

      Greetings, O SCAdian, however this message reaches you, from Dr Henry
      Best.
      If you regularly attend Pennsic, you might know of me from my daily
      advice
      column in the Pennsic Independent, "Ask Doctor Best".

      The past three Pennsics, I've told fortunes in the back of Sunbaked
      Studios,
      Mistress Nonna's Pottery Studio. It's been a great partnership, but
      Nonna is
      retiring from active merchanting, and I am stepping up as the new
      manager of
      the booth, now renamed to Starlit Studios.

      We will be offering some exciting products: consulting divinations
      using a
      wide range of period oracular techniques, from astrology to cards, from
      palms to i Ching, we will be using any period system we can find and
      document which doesn't involve disemboweling animals or nice people. We
      will be performing magic shows in the street and generally having, and
      sharing, a jolly time.

      Now, this project is, at its heart, more a large scale Arts and Sciences
      experiment than a money making venture. Our customers are a critical
      part of
      our research into these arts and their nominal payments are part of the
      experiment. And what I'm discovering, as I step up to run the booth, is
      that, what with booth registration, liability insurance, tent rental,
      etc,
      merchanting at Pennsic is hideously expensive, far beyond anything I can
      reasonably expect to make back telling fortunes. In short, if I don't
      change
      my business model, I will go broke in one year and be forced to shut
      my arts
      project down.

      And so, to keep my project alive, I am offering retail space in my
      booth, on
      a year to year basis. My vision is that, as I run a personal consulting
      service in back, my front waiting room will be filled with incredible
      art
      created by our fellow SCAdians, and the art will be for sale. If you
      are an
      SCA artisan, and you've ever considered merchanting at Pennsic, for a
      market
      of some 12,000 people, I am offering an open door to you, bypassing the
      massive cash and administrative investment (and time spent on a near
      infinite waiting list) that it would normally take for you to attempt
      this.

      I will share the actual financial numbers with serious querents, but
      here I
      will say that I hope to host six to eight artists, granting each one
      space
      for a 5 foot display table at a prime booth along Battle Road, next
      door to
      the food court.

      These artists can participate under one of two plans:

      1) You pay a flat fee for your space, to help cover the booth's
      expenses. You help your fellow merchants man the booth, serving as sales
      clerk for everyone's art and as receptionist for the consulting
      business.
      With 6-8 artists, you'll probably only need to man the booth for two
      days
      out of the war.

      2) You pay a flat fee for your space, as above, but you don't
      help man
      the booth. In that case, you also contribute a percent of your
      revenue. This
      money goes into a kitty, and is split among those who DO man the booth
      on
      your behalf.

      So there it is. For the right artists, this is a golden opportunity.
      Because
      we are sharing costs, this is an extremely painless way to put your
      art up
      for sale at the largest market in the SCA.

      Please pass this message along however you wish, and especially
      forward it
      to those who make exquisite art, and really deserve a wider audience.
      And
      thank you for reading.

      Dr Henry Best
      Henry@...