Re: Question for newcomers

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2012
      You may have already seen me mention these particular files, but
      perhaps not since new folks join all the time.

      D'vorah, I'm not really trying to steal your questions, or Liam, to
      take away from your class, but I thought some here might be interested
      in these files in the Florilegium.
      <<< How to act in court
      What to do if you get called up in court (including if you can't bow
      or kneel, for any reason, but still want to show respect) >>>

      The first seems to get forgotten by a lot of people, including a lot
      of Peers who stand at the back of Court and chatter. The second seems
      to be unknown to a lot of experienced folks and caused quite a bit of
      discussion when I've seen it come up.
      How-to-Behave-art (12K) 6/10/01 "How to Behave in these Current
      Middle Ages"
      by Lady Meliora Leuedai de
      Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html

      SCA-courts-nc-msg (21K) 5/30/01 Comments and about SCA Courts for
      newcomers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courts-nc-msg.html

      Courts-knelng-msg (20K) 1/29/09 Kneeling when called into an SCA
      Court.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Courts-knelng-msg.html

      <<< How to select a name, and how to register it when you're ready
      Ditto for devices >>>
      Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
      Newcomers"
      by Dietmar Reinhart von
      Straubing and
      Malachias von Morgenstern.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

      I don't think I have a good article on how to choose a device, or on
      what makes a good device. Anyone know of one, or want to write me one?

      <<< Households: what they are, how to 'meet' some, how to make your
      interest known >>>
      SCA-Housholds-art (10K) 8/31/09 "Introduction to SCA Households" by
      Maistor
      Justinos Tekton called Justin.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Housholds-art.html

      <<< How (and whether, and when) to settle on a particular time/place
      for a persona >>>
      I've got a number of such articles, but perhaps this is a good one to
      start with:
      Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for
      Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-f-Beg-art.html

      Of course, I'm always looking for more good articles, for beginners as
      well as the more experienced.

      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Kathy Fletcher
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
        Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues, so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????

        And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your handout, unless you might do it at WOW?

        Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

        YIS,
        Caissene

      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
          Great questions! I am a costuming junkie, so I will jump in on this
          question. For starting out, it is easiest to go with basics. If you ever
          get into doing research yourself on your persona's culture, you may find
          more information than you think.

          Try to use linen and wool if you can (not everyone has the funds or a
          source, but it was used more than cotton, and in more places and times than
          cotton).

          Linen was used for underclothing, veils, coifs, shifts, undershirts,
          braies, etc. In the SCA we extend that to some of our outergarments as
          well, because it is so comfortable in summer in the US, and has the right
          'drape' for period clothing. Try http://fabrics-store.com/ , they have many
          colors, the medium weight is good for most uses, and the 3.5oz or
          lightweight is great for lightweight shifts.

          Wool was used much of everything else, gowns, cloaks, stockings, hats, etc.
          Wool flannel has a basic tabby weave that used throughout period, and is
          available from many sources in a variety of colors. They did have a variety
          of interesting weaves in period, but those can be hard to get today,
          especially in a cost effective version. Try
          http://www.bblackandsons.com/and look under the flannel section.

          Silk was available to those who could afford it. And cotton was available
          but was more expensive than silk, and harder to get.

          There are a few books you might want to look into. One is titled Dress in
          Ireland by Mairead Dunlevy, and also the Warp Weighted Loom by Marta
          Hoffman, which will discuss fabrics that would have been available.

          As to colors, you might want to choose colors that look like they could
          have been gotten with a natural dye, florescents are, to my eye, a bit too
          bright. Fabric that we would call tartan or plaid today were certainly
          woven then, not in the current way of thinking that a certain pattern
          belongs to a specific family. Jacquard weaves were not possible until there
          significant innovations in looms and weaving around the 14th century. So
          tabby or twill (which can have many variations) were the weaves available.

          Good luck!

          Alison Wodehalle

          On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
          <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
          > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
          > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
          > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
          > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
          > "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
          > so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
          > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
          >
          > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
          > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
          >
          > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Caissene

          ~Alison

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
            When & where is the next newcomers meeting.....new to the area but an old member.
            Thanx Heathyr P

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              Don't worry about picking and keeping a name or a device in your first
              year. Take your time and settle into something you will like. Explore
              your options, try a few things on for your name and/or device and see what
              you like. Never let anyone bully you into a name by threatening to pick
              one for you.

              Also, as you mentioned in your list, take your time to explore and find the
              things that you want to do. It is very easy in the SCA to get sucked into
              a lot of activities so try to limit yourself to two or three things you
              like to do. Explore many, pick few. Then worry about improving and being
              proficient at your activity (ies). Nobody got great overnight at what they
              do, so don't worry if you're not.

              Ian

              On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Greetings, all!
              >
              > I am planning an SCA 102 class for Pennsic. It'll be open to anyone, but
              > the focus is on newcomers who have some of the basics down and want to
              > learn more.
              >
              > I am planning the class with the following assumptions:
              >
              > You have been to at least one SCA event/meeting.
              >
              > You know your kingdom and local group.
              >
              > You have at least thought about a name if you don't have one yet.
              >
              > You understand the idea of a persona.
              >
              > You may be starting to develop interests.
              >
              > You get the whole "Lord/Lady" thing and have a clue about awards.
              >
              > Maybe you have been to court. At least, you know what court is.
              >
              > You have at least one piece of garb.
              >
              > With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:
              >
              > Awards
              >
              > Peerages
              >
              > Titles
              >
              > Officer positions
              >
              > "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"
              >
              > General structure of the SCA
              >
              > General SCA geography/
              >
              > *****
              >
              > This is where you come in.
              >
              > What am I missing. I have been around a bit, so I might forget what it's
              > like for folks six months or a year into the SCA.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Liam

              Yours In Service,

              Lord Ian the Green

            • Tom Hickey
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                Very informative post  Thank you.

                ________________________________

                <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
                > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What
                > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
                > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
                > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
                > "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues,
                > so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or
                > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
                >
                > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
                > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
                >
                > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
                >
                > YIS,
                > Caissene

                ~Alison

                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                  Heathyr, you'll need to let us know where you are located before we can help you. This is a world-wide list for SCA newcomers.

                  Lancaster PA

> [...]

                  > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
                  > <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
                  >> am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
                  >> kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
                  >> colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
                  >> persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
                  >> "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
                  >> so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
                  >> specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
                  >>
                  >> And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
                  >> handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

                • Chuck Burke
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                    Heathyr,

                    First off, welcome back to the fold!

                    Where are you located? This is an "open" newcomers' list, with folks from
                    all over the Known World. If you are more specific about your location,
                    you're more likely to find someone who can point you to a local newcomers'
                    night.

                    Yours in Service,
                    Dragos Pelikanos
                    "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                      Yes, I'm in the Barony of the three mountains in
                      The Kingdom of An Tir.... thank you for your help
                      Heather P

                      Sent from my iPhone