Question for newcomers

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
      Greetings, all!

      I am planning an SCA 102 class for Pennsic. It'll be open to anyone, but
      the focus is on newcomers who have some of the basics down and want to
      learn more.

      I am planning the class with the following assumptions:

      You have been to at least one SCA event/meeting.

      You know your kingdom and local group.

      You have at least thought about a name if you don't have one yet.

      You understand the idea of a persona.

      You may be starting to develop interests.

      You get the whole "Lord/Lady" thing and have a clue about awards.

      Maybe you have been to court. At least, you know what court is.

      You have at least one piece of garb.

      With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:

      Awards

      Peerages

      Titles

      Officer positions

      "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"

      General structure of the SCA

      General SCA geography/

      *****

      This is where you come in.

      What am I missing. I have been around a bit, so I might forget what it's
      like for folks six months or a year into the SCA.

      Thanks,

      Liam

    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
        On 11 Apr 2012, at 10:56 AM, Bill Toscano wrote:

        > With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:
        >
        > Awards
        > Peerages
        > Titles
        > Officer positions
        > "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"
        > General structure of the SCA
        > General SCA geography/

        How to act in court
        What to do if you get called up in court (including if you can't bow or kneel, for any reason, but still want to show respect)
        How to select a name, and how to register it when you're ready
        Ditto for devices
        Households: what they are, how to 'meet' some, how to make your interest known
        How (and whether, and when) to settle on a particular time/place for a persona
        Maybe a handout mentioning links to several of the more commonly used email lists, like this one
        How to ease your way into a more period appearance, encampment, et cetera (inexpensively)
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
          Thank you, D'vorah.

          Liam

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2012
            You may have already seen me mention these particular files, but
            perhaps not since new folks join all the time.

            D'vorah, I'm not really trying to steal your questions, or Liam, to
            take away from your class, but I thought some here might be interested
            in these files in the Florilegium.
            <<< How to act in court
            What to do if you get called up in court (including if you can't bow
            or kneel, for any reason, but still want to show respect) >>>

            The first seems to get forgotten by a lot of people, including a lot
            of Peers who stand at the back of Court and chatter. The second seems
            to be unknown to a lot of experienced folks and caused quite a bit of
            discussion when I've seen it come up.
            How-to-Behave-art (12K) 6/10/01 "How to Behave in these Current
            Middle Ages"
            by Lady Meliora Leuedai de
            Ardescote.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/How-to-Behave-art.html

            SCA-courts-nc-msg (21K) 5/30/01 Comments and about SCA Courts for
            newcomers.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-courts-nc-msg.html

            Courts-knelng-msg (20K) 1/29/09 Kneeling when called into an SCA
            Court.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Courts-knelng-msg.html

            <<< How to select a name, and how to register it when you're ready
            Ditto for devices >>>
            Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
            Newcomers"
            by Dietmar Reinhart von
            Straubing and
            Malachias von Morgenstern.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

            I don't think I have a good article on how to choose a device, or on
            what makes a good device. Anyone know of one, or want to write me one?

            <<< Households: what they are, how to 'meet' some, how to make your
            interest known >>>
            SCA-Housholds-art (10K) 8/31/09 "Introduction to SCA Households" by
            Maistor
            Justinos Tekton called Justin.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Housholds-art.html

            <<< How (and whether, and when) to settle on a particular time/place
            for a persona >>>
            I've got a number of such articles, but perhaps this is a good one to
            start with:
            Persona-f-Beg-art (12K) 1/13/02 "Creating Your SCA Persona for
            Beginners" by Lady Lucia Borromeo.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Persona-f-Beg-art.html

            Of course, I'm always looking for more good articles, for beginners as
            well as the more experienced.

            Stefan

            --------
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          • Kathy Fletcher
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
              Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues, so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????

              And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your handout, unless you might do it at WOW?

              Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

              YIS,
              Caissene

            • Alison Choyce
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
                Great questions! I am a costuming junkie, so I will jump in on this
                question. For starting out, it is easiest to go with basics. If you ever
                get into doing research yourself on your persona's culture, you may find
                more information than you think.

                Try to use linen and wool if you can (not everyone has the funds or a
                source, but it was used more than cotton, and in more places and times than
                cotton).

                Linen was used for underclothing, veils, coifs, shifts, undershirts,
                braies, etc. In the SCA we extend that to some of our outergarments as
                well, because it is so comfortable in summer in the US, and has the right
                'drape' for period clothing. Try http://fabrics-store.com/ , they have many
                colors, the medium weight is good for most uses, and the 3.5oz or
                lightweight is great for lightweight shifts.

                Wool was used much of everything else, gowns, cloaks, stockings, hats, etc.
                Wool flannel has a basic tabby weave that used throughout period, and is
                available from many sources in a variety of colors. They did have a variety
                of interesting weaves in period, but those can be hard to get today,
                especially in a cost effective version. Try
                http://www.bblackandsons.com/and look under the flannel section.

                Silk was available to those who could afford it. And cotton was available
                but was more expensive than silk, and harder to get.

                There are a few books you might want to look into. One is titled Dress in
                Ireland by Mairead Dunlevy, and also the Warp Weighted Loom by Marta
                Hoffman, which will discuss fabrics that would have been available.

                As to colors, you might want to choose colors that look like they could
                have been gotten with a natural dye, florescents are, to my eye, a bit too
                bright. Fabric that we would call tartan or plaid today were certainly
                woven then, not in the current way of thinking that a certain pattern
                belongs to a specific family. Jacquard weaves were not possible until there
                significant innovations in looms and weaving around the 14th century. So
                tabby or twill (which can have many variations) were the weaves available.

                Good luck!

                Alison Wodehalle

                On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
                <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
                > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
                > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
                > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
                > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
                > "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
                > so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
                > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
                >
                > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
                > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
                >
                > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
                >
                > YIS,
                > Caissene

                ~Alison

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
                  When & where is the next newcomers meeting.....new to the area but an old member.
                  Thanx Heathyr P

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • Ian Green
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                    Don't worry about picking and keeping a name or a device in your first
                    year. Take your time and settle into something you will like. Explore
                    your options, try a few things on for your name and/or device and see what
                    you like. Never let anyone bully you into a name by threatening to pick
                    one for you.

                    Also, as you mentioned in your list, take your time to explore and find the
                    things that you want to do. It is very easy in the SCA to get sucked into
                    a lot of activities so try to limit yourself to two or three things you
                    like to do. Explore many, pick few. Then worry about improving and being
                    proficient at your activity (ies). Nobody got great overnight at what they
                    do, so don't worry if you're not.

                    Ian

                    On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Bill Toscano <liamstliam@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Greetings, all!
                    >
                    > I am planning an SCA 102 class for Pennsic. It'll be open to anyone, but
                    > the focus is on newcomers who have some of the basics down and want to
                    > learn more.
                    >
                    > I am planning the class with the following assumptions:
                    >
                    > You have been to at least one SCA event/meeting.
                    >
                    > You know your kingdom and local group.
                    >
                    > You have at least thought about a name if you don't have one yet.
                    >
                    > You understand the idea of a persona.
                    >
                    > You may be starting to develop interests.
                    >
                    > You get the whole "Lord/Lady" thing and have a clue about awards.
                    >
                    > Maybe you have been to court. At least, you know what court is.
                    >
                    > You have at least one piece of garb.
                    >
                    > With that in mind, the class would focus on things such as:
                    >
                    > Awards
                    >
                    > Peerages
                    >
                    > Titles
                    >
                    > Officer positions
                    >
                    > "I want to do ___________. How do I find out about it?"
                    >
                    > General structure of the SCA
                    >
                    > General SCA geography/
                    >
                    > *****
                    >
                    > This is where you come in.
                    >
                    > What am I missing. I have been around a bit, so I might forget what it's
                    > like for folks six months or a year into the SCA.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Liam

                    Yours In Service,

                    Lord Ian the Green

                  • Tom Hickey
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                      Very informative post  Thank you.

                      ________________________________

                      <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
                      > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What
                      > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
                      > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
                      > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
                      > "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues,
                      > so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or
                      > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
                      >
                      > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
                      > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
                      >
                      > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
                      >
                      > YIS,
                      > Caissene

                      ~Alison

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                        Heathyr, you'll need to let us know where you are located before we can help you. This is a world-wide list for SCA newcomers.

                        Lancaster PA

> [...]

                        > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
                        > <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
                        >> am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so. What
                        >> kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
                        >> colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
                        >> persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
                        >> "painted" examples like for much later. I can't really tell from statues,
                        >> so where do you go for that kind of info? That may be too detailed, or
                        >> specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
                        >>
                        >> And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
                        >> handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.

                      • Chuck Burke
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                          Heathyr,

                          First off, welcome back to the fold!

                          Where are you located? This is an "open" newcomers' list, with folks from
                          all over the Known World. If you are more specific about your location,
                          you're more likely to find someone who can point you to a local newcomers'
                          night.

                          Yours in Service,
                          Dragos Pelikanos
                          "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                            Yes, I'm in the Barony of the three mountains in
                            The Kingdom of An Tir.... thank you for your help
                            Heather P

                            Sent from my iPhone