Stefan's Florilegium files for April

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2012
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      --------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ANIMALS section:
      British-Sheep-art "A History of Sheep Breeds in Britain" by
      Maistreas Siobhan nic Dhuinnshleibhe, OL
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      Simple-Wimple-art "How to make a simple medieval wimple"
      by Lady Wenyeva atte grene
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      AS-Fd-Entry-art "Apple tart from Rumpolt - birth of an A&S
      entry" by Catrin von Berlin.
      In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
      Md-Cu-Islmc-Wd-msg Reviews and comments on "Medieval Cuisine of
      the Islamic World: A Concise History with
      174 Recipes".
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      Smoked-Olives-art "Smoked Olives" by Galefridus Peregrinus.
      In the PLANYS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
      coriander-msg Coriander user in period.
      In the STRUCTURES section:
      Calon-pavilon-msg History and comments about the Kingdom of
      Calontir's purple pavilion.
      In the TECHNOLOGY section:
      Korean-Kites-art "There's a hole in my kite!" by Lord Archer
      McRobert. Korean fighter kites.
      p-kites-msg Period kites, Asian and European.
      In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
      Intro-2-Wool-art "An Introduction to Wool" by Maistreas Siobhan
      nic Dhuinnshleibhe, OL

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      breakfast-msg What's for breakfast? SCA and period.
      Caid-hist-msg Histories of the Kingdom of Caid.
      Calontir-hst-msg Histories and stories of Kingdom of Calontir.
      campfood-msg Non-refrig., period food for camping events.
      cl-Elzabethan-msg Clothing of Elizabethan England.
      cl-Norse-msg Clothing of the Norse. Viking clothing.
      clothing-MN-msg Maternity and nursing garb.
      cloved-fruit-msg Period cloved fruit. Origin of the SCA game.
      comfits-msg Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
      cooking-oils-msg Period cooking and food oils.
      fd-Poland-msg Food of period Poland. References.
      fd-Sicily-msg Food of medieval Sicily.
      paintg-panels-msg Wood panels as a painting medium.
      Pennsic-water-msg Dealing with the Pennsic drinking water.
      Scotland-msg Scottish culture. Who lived where. Medieval
      points of interest. The Orkney Islands.
      vinegar-msg Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
      ---
      Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris