SCA group names

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2012
      Ian the Green mentioned:
      <<< The Jararvellir (pronounced Yara VET lur) has one of the best arts
      martial
      practices in Northshield or did when I lived there 2.5 years ago.>>>

      That's an interesting group name. However, I did a search on it in the
      Florilegium and while I have a number of entries that mention the
      group, none that explain the name.

      Do you know, or can you find out, the origins of the name and what it
      means if anything? Many SCA groups also have interesting heraldry that
      goes along with the name or their origins.

      I have, and try to continue to collect, this kind of info in a series
      of Florilegium files which can be found in the SCA-STORIES section:
      placenames-msg (110K) 10/ 4/00 Origins and meanings of SCA
      placenames. Pt. 1
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames-msg.html

      placenames2-msg (106K) 8/11/10 Origins and meanings of SCA
      placenames. Pt. 2
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames2-msg.html

      placenames3-msg (40K) 8/ 6/11 Origins and meanings of SCA
      placenames. Pt. 3
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/placenames3-msg.html

      If you, or anyone else knows the history behind this, or other groups
      not mentioned in these files, please email me with info so I can add it.

      Also, feel free to forward this request to other people or SCA lists.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris