RE: [SCA Newcomers]

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2012
      Ah, the >" belt banners" as it were are usually favors or tokens and as such are very special indeed. 99 percent of the time they have been gifted t the wearer. The designs on them can range fro a badge, signifying the wearer belongs to a certain guild, househol,kingdom fighting free, etc or has the good wishes and favor of another person i.e. Friend, partner, relative admirer, etc. Although they cn be worn anywhere on the belt , fighters tend to wear them on the back o keep them from being worn out or destroyed, other folks might not even wear them n a belt but attach them to a sleeve. Sometimes the favor will have a sentiment embroidered on it. Sometimes it is a handkerchief from someone or a sleeve or a glove just like back then when folks wore such things i tournaments to show whose was rooting for them or who inspired them. It is not just for fighters anymore. Anyone can be gifted with one. The queen of Atlantian often gives out favors to all Atlantian attending Pennsic just because the came. Master sylvanus have given out favors just to encourage folks he as seen making beautiful performance art.
      When i was awarded the companion of the earl some ears back, a lady who des beautiful weaving gave me a lovely little belt favor with the award emblem( able scalp shell wit a white circle in it representing a pear) that i treasure just as much as my original award.
      I made them for our household once. I have also made them for else friends who fight and for my beloved lord, who doesnt. It is a beautiful ,
      sometimes quiet, tradition of the SCA.
      lady aria matriz la mora cop
      aka khalillah bint Temur
      aka Bambi