re: Dogs?

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
      <<< Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever
      allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about
      people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that
      was. >>>

      As others have mentioned, it will depend upon the rules for that
      particular site.

      And even if they are allowed on site, they may not be allowed in to
      the buildings. This is a particular problem if most of the event is
      inside. It sometimes mean my wife and I will have to trade off turns
      staying outside with the dogs. At one event it was rather hot and
      with most events being inside, we ended up taking the dog back to the
      motel and letting him stay there during the day.

      I have a 16 lb fluff ball, American Eskimo. Definitely not a period
      dog but he is a "service" dog in that he pulls a small wooden wagon
      that I converted for him to pull. He helps us haul things to camp and
      around for demos. He also sometimes pulls water bottles for the
      waterbearers.

      With a proper wagon, a dog can pull 3 times his wieght and they were
      used in period for this.

      Here is an updated version of the article (published in TI in 2004)
      that I based by wagon conversion on:
      Dog-Carts-art (24K) 11/15/06 "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training:
      Directions to Convert a European Style
      Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog Wagon" by
      Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Dog-Carts-art.html

      Here are some other articles on dogs in the ANIMALS section of the
      Florilegium which might be of interest:
      dogs-msg (82K) 12/19/10 Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-msg.html

      dogs-lnks (16K) 11/ 2/03 Medieval dog links by Dame Aoife Finn.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-lnks.html

      medieval-dogs-art (20K) 9/ 1/07 "Introduction to Dogs in Our Period"
      by Pavla de la Satu Mare.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/medieval-dogs-art.html

      coursing-SCA-msg (8K) 6/29/03 Coursing dogs in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/coursing-SCA-msg.html

      Guinefort-art (16K) 8/30/06 "Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of
      France" by Mevanwy verch Tuder de Courtecadeno.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Guinefort-art.html

      I'm still looking for a good article on medieval dog armor or barding
      for dogs.

      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Prudentia
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
        I was just at an event where the little dogs were inside and the big dogs left out in the cars but we big dog owners went out and regularly walked, fed, watered and socialized with our big dogs. I have never seen dogs running around free and without supervision the way the kids are at SCA events. Hope this helps.
      • eliza_beth407
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
          Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with comments! I will certainly ask if my local site allows dogs at events. I hope they do because I think it would only add to the fun. Again, Thanks to all.