RE: [SCA Newcomers] Dogs?

  • Laurie Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
      One of the best things about SCA events is that I get to pet lots of dogs!
      Of course, I check with the owners first before approaching, but the point
      is that there are a lot of animals at some events, none at others.

      Once in a while, the environment of an event may actually bother a
      particular animal, so do pay attention to the animals that you see, just in
      case one of them has decided to go on guard duty and go after anyone coming
      too close. It's rare, but the environment can be bothersome to pets that
      have never been to such before. Mostly though, the dogs seem to love the
      attention, and I know I love giving that attention to them!

      Gelleia

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
        <<< Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever
        allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about
        people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that
        was. >>>

        As others have mentioned, it will depend upon the rules for that
        particular site.

        And even if they are allowed on site, they may not be allowed in to
        the buildings. This is a particular problem if most of the event is
        inside. It sometimes mean my wife and I will have to trade off turns
        staying outside with the dogs. At one event it was rather hot and
        with most events being inside, we ended up taking the dog back to the
        motel and letting him stay there during the day.

        I have a 16 lb fluff ball, American Eskimo. Definitely not a period
        dog but he is a "service" dog in that he pulls a small wooden wagon
        that I converted for him to pull. He helps us haul things to camp and
        around for demos. He also sometimes pulls water bottles for the
        waterbearers.

        With a proper wagon, a dog can pull 3 times his wieght and they were
        used in period for this.

        Here is an updated version of the article (published in TI in 2004)
        that I based by wagon conversion on:
        Dog-Carts-art (24K) 11/15/06 "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training:
        Directions to Convert a European Style
        Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog Wagon" by
        Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Dog-Carts-art.html

        Here are some other articles on dogs in the ANIMALS section of the
        Florilegium which might be of interest:
        dogs-msg (82K) 12/19/10 Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-msg.html

        dogs-lnks (16K) 11/ 2/03 Medieval dog links by Dame Aoife Finn.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-lnks.html

        medieval-dogs-art (20K) 9/ 1/07 "Introduction to Dogs in Our Period"
        by Pavla de la Satu Mare.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/medieval-dogs-art.html

        coursing-SCA-msg (8K) 6/29/03 Coursing dogs in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/coursing-SCA-msg.html

        Guinefort-art (16K) 8/30/06 "Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of
        France" by Mevanwy verch Tuder de Courtecadeno.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Guinefort-art.html

        I'm still looking for a good article on medieval dog armor or barding
        for dogs.

        Stefan

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Prudentia
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
          I was just at an event where the little dogs were inside and the big dogs left out in the cars but we big dog owners went out and regularly walked, fed, watered and socialized with our big dogs. I have never seen dogs running around free and without supervision the way the kids are at SCA events. Hope this helps.
        • eliza_beth407
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
            Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with comments! I will certainly ask if my local site allows dogs at events. I hope they do because I think it would only add to the fun. Again, Thanks to all.