Dogs?

  • eliza_beth407
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that was.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        It depends on the owners of the site we are renting. Some allow dogs, some do not.

        Lancaster, PA

        Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that was.

      • Nicole E. Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
          It mostly depends on the rule for the event site. Most outdoor events are pet friendly, but they usually aren't allowed in any buildings (service dogs are of course exempt). Check the site rules. wet/dry, pets/no pets, etc. If it doesn't explicitly say pets are allowed its a good idea to check with the autocrat.

          ---- eliza_beth407 <eliza_beth407@...> wrote:

          =============
          Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that was.
        • Ian Green
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
            There are some events the invite dogs. There are dog coursers in the SCA
            after all.

            As others have said, it all depends on site that is being used. Ask ahead
            of time for the event.

            As always the law of the land regarding service animals will allow
            exceptions for service animals.

            http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

            If you bring your pet, please remember to bring the necessary items to
            clean up after your pet.

            Ian the Green

            --
            Yours In Service,

            Lord Ian the Green

          • Laurie Taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
              One of the best things about SCA events is that I get to pet lots of dogs!
              Of course, I check with the owners first before approaching, but the point
              is that there are a lot of animals at some events, none at others.

              Once in a while, the environment of an event may actually bother a
              particular animal, so do pay attention to the animals that you see, just in
              case one of them has decided to go on guard duty and go after anyone coming
              too close. It's rare, but the environment can be bothersome to pets that
              have never been to such before. Mostly though, the dogs seem to love the
              attention, and I know I love giving that attention to them!

              Gelleia

              There are some events the invite dogs. There are dog coursers in the SCA
              after all.

              As others have said, it all depends on site that is being used. Ask ahead
              of time for the event.

              As always the law of the land regarding service animals will allow
              exceptions for service animals.

              http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

              If you bring your pet, please remember to bring the necessary items to
              clean up after your pet.

              Ian the Green

              On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Nicole E. Miller <schnauzer2@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > It mostly depends on the rule for the event site. Most outdoor events are
              > pet friendly, but they usually aren't allowed in any buildings (service
              > dogs are of course exempt). Check the site rules. wet/dry, pets/no pets,
              > etc. If it doesn't explicitly say pets are allowed its a good idea to
              check
              > with the autocrat.
              >
              > ---- eliza_beth407 <eliza_beth407@...> wrote:
              >
              > =============
              >
              > Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever allowed
              > at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about people's dogs at
              > events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that was.

              --
              Yours In Service,

              Lord Ian the Green

            • Stefan li Rous
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
                <<< Hi, I'm still pretty new to SCA and was wondering if dogs are ever
                allowed at events? I have seen pictures and heard comments about
                people's dogs at events but wasn't sure how common or allowed that
                was. >>>

                As others have mentioned, it will depend upon the rules for that
                particular site.

                And even if they are allowed on site, they may not be allowed in to
                the buildings. This is a particular problem if most of the event is
                inside. It sometimes mean my wife and I will have to trade off turns
                staying outside with the dogs. At one event it was rather hot and
                with most events being inside, we ended up taking the dog back to the
                motel and letting him stay there during the day.

                I have a 16 lb fluff ball, American Eskimo. Definitely not a period
                dog but he is a "service" dog in that he pulls a small wooden wagon
                that I converted for him to pull. He helps us haul things to camp and
                around for demos. He also sometimes pulls water bottles for the
                waterbearers.

                With a proper wagon, a dog can pull 3 times his wieght and they were
                used in period for this.

                Here is an updated version of the article (published in TI in 2004)
                that I based by wagon conversion on:
                Dog-Carts-art (24K) 11/15/06 "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training:
                Directions to Convert a European Style
                Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog Wagon" by
                Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Dog-Carts-art.html

                Here are some other articles on dogs in the ANIMALS section of the
                Florilegium which might be of interest:
                dogs-msg (82K) 12/19/10 Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-msg.html

                dogs-lnks (16K) 11/ 2/03 Medieval dog links by Dame Aoife Finn.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/dogs-lnks.html

                medieval-dogs-art (20K) 9/ 1/07 "Introduction to Dogs in Our Period"
                by Pavla de la Satu Mare.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/medieval-dogs-art.html

                coursing-SCA-msg (8K) 6/29/03 Coursing dogs in the SCA.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/coursing-SCA-msg.html

                Guinefort-art (16K) 8/30/06 "Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of
                France" by Mevanwy verch Tuder de Courtecadeno.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Guinefort-art.html

                I'm still looking for a good article on medieval dog armor or barding
                for dogs.

                Stefan

                --------
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
              • Prudentia
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
                  I was just at an event where the little dogs were inside and the big dogs left out in the cars but we big dog owners went out and regularly walked, fed, watered and socialized with our big dogs. I have never seen dogs running around free and without supervision the way the kids are at SCA events. Hope this helps.
                • eliza_beth407
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                    Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with comments! I will certainly ask if my local site allows dogs at events. I hope they do because I think it would only add to the fun. Again, Thanks to all.