re: Location (and now shoes)

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 7:36 PM
      GWILYM mentioned:
      <<<With the exception of footwear, which is being
      problematic, my garb and equipment are ready, and I expect to start
      going to events within a month.>>>

      Perhaps these files in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium might
      help. Your shoes can range everywhere from modern shoes that aren't
      obtrusively non-period, to hand-sewn medieval replicas. It is really
      up to you.

      For some easier things:
      shoes-msg (124K) 5/24/11 Medieval footwear and SCA imitations.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/shoes-msg.html

      For info on more authentic shoes and period shoes, see:
      p-shoes-msg (68K) 9/ 4/11 Medieval footwear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/p-shoes-msg.html

      boots-msg (47K) 9/13/00 Period boots and SCA imitations.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/boots-msg.html

      merch-shoes-msg (32K) 5/18/11 Lists and reviews of period-style
      shoe makers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/merch-shoes-msg.html

      If you want some general help and directions on making your own shoes,
      as well as info on how it was done in period:
      shoemaking-msg (30K) 3/14/09 Making shoes. More detailed than
      shoes-msg.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/shoemaking-msg.html

      Some files on specific types of shoes:
      2Shod-a-Shire-art (8K) 7/ 4/02 "To Shod A Shire" by Lady Eowyn "Eo"
      Swiftler.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/2Shod-a-Shire-art.html

      The author fights in his:
      Caligae-Boots-art (16K) 4/ 4/10 "Caligae – Roman Army Boots" by
      Viscount Sir
      Corin Anderson (KSCA, OP).
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Caligae-Boots-art.html

      If you plan to fight in your shoes, here is a file in the COMBAT
      section:
      shoes4combat-msg (16K) 5/27/11 Footwear suggestions for SCA combat.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shoes4combat-msg.html

      As to location:
      <<< I was thinking it might be nice if, when
      posting, people add to their signature block, thier Barony/Shire,>>>

      See my signature block below. It also tells you where the Florilegium
      is, beyond the links above.

      I hope this helps.
      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • William Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24 6:51 AM
        Thanks for the links Stefan.  My problem has not been finding footwear, it is finding footwear that fits.  I have found plenty of shoes and boots that will work, but shoe manufacturers seem to going with the "one width fits all" idea, and make only standard width.  To find shoes wide enough, I have to go 2 or 3 sizes larger than I wear, so it is like having a canoe on my foot.  I did find one boot from Minnetonka, that might work.  Had to go only 1 size up on that.  If that doesn't work, I may have to go custom made, or try making a pair of turn shoes myself.  We do have a couple people in the barony who have done so, so I can at least get some good instructions.

        GwilymEast Kingdom, Barony Beyond the Mountainin the Canton of Bowman's Rest (north central CT)

[...]

        THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
            Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous@...
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
        **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****

      • Daniel Brizendine
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 7:24 AM
          I would suggest getting someone to make you some Count Ashir in Calpktir is
          good