Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Lawsuit

  • Deena Kalbfleisch
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2012
      Well there you go........

      --- On Wed, 3/14/12, Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...> wrote:

      From: Ian Green <ianthegreen01@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Lawsuit
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 12:08 AM

      Not really.

      It boils down to mutually helping one another out as a chivalrous society
      might do.  But with certain key provisions to ensure that those who are
      helping one another out keep one another honest.  For example the two deep
      rule.

      Two adults not related to one another supervising.  This way adults can
      take turns taking care of the kids so all the adults can go and do the
      things they love to do in the SCA but that the kids, well, don't like.

      Also the people who volunteer to work with the kids as an officer must get
      a background check.  This keeps people with a record of not so nice things
      with kids or adults, don't get a chance to have a veritable buffet served
      up to them.  It is cheap, simple and due diligence.  After all we have kids
      in the SCA and we have people who like working with kids and setting up
      specifically kids activities in specifically kid palatable ways.  This is a
      good things.  And parents have to come check in on their kids.  Again of
      course the two deep rule applies.

      This is good for the kids because they get to learn and explore in ways
      that are more fun for them.  While every parent knows how to work with
      their kids at home, it is a different story when it comes to planned
      activities with many and several kids.  Sure the parent needs to be
      involved but really we send our kids to school to be taught by
      professionals because not all parents can do that stuff.

      It isn't about baby sitting and really it never was.  It was and is about
      making the SCA accessible to everyone, including the kids.  And doing so in
      a safe environment.

      Just my thoughts,

      Ian the Green

      Yours In Service,