Re: yardage for garb question

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
      <<< I was looking towards something like this:

      http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg

      But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor
      yet (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to
      fit over the armor. >>>

      The key factor that you note here is that you are wearing this to
      fight in. Such over tunics take a lot of abuse and abrasion. I would
      recommend making it out of "trigger", a fairly tough cotton fabric.
      Four yards should be more than enough, even if it in only 48 inches in
      width.

      While linen would "breathe" better, the fact that you are wearing this
      over armor negates any air flow, anyway.

      Hemp cloth would probably be the best material from durability, but it
      is difficult to get and expensive in the United States.

      I commend you for covering your armor. This allows you to hide rather
      non-period looking plastic armor. Even the metal armor that beginning
      SCA fighters end up with is often better covered up. It also solves
      the problem of your persona being from a time and place that didn't
      use knee and elbow protextion, even though these are required my
      modern SCA safety rules.

      Here is a file in my Florilegium file which lists and reviews various
      armorers.
      armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

      This section has some other files on SCA and medieval armored combat
      that you might find of use such as:
      rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

      shields-msg (119K) 3/ 8/10 SCA and period shields.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shields-msg.html

      As far as your earlier questions about buying cloth and why buy
      certain cloth for particular uses, see some of the files in the TEXTLE
      ARTS section such as:
      fabric-ident-msg (24K) 12/30/04 Identifying unknown fabric w.
      various tests.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-ident-msg.html

      fabric-SCA-msg (18K) 10/ 3/94 Finding period-like fabric in the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-SCA-msg.html

      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Lori Widener
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
        Remember to check to see if there is a discount card available from the store that you are using.  Joann's has a 10% card available/15% if you can document that you are a teacher.  I picked up mine at the store by bringing my SCA membership card and local newsletter.

        Our heavy weapons fighter wears a tunic over his armour that is made from outdoor fabric (usually used to cover patio cushions).  It's a heavy weight and holds up well to the abuse.

        YIS

        Lettice

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
          Franchesca that is a really nice tunic and hood. You did a fantastic job. I need something like that for my son.  What did you use for a pattern?