[SCA Newcomers] Re: yardage for garb question

  • mcdougallmax
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
      Thanks for the insight m'lady

      regards,

      Mark/Maxwell

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@...> wrote:

      > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
      > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
      > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
      > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
      > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
      > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
      >
      > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
      > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
      > his armor.
      >
      > Francisca
      >
      > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
      > > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
      > >
      > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
      > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
      > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
      > >

      > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
      > >

      > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
      > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
      > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
      > > > generally don't line it.
      > > >
      > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
      > > >
      > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
      > > >
      > > > Francisca

      > > yet
      > > over

      > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

      > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

      > > <lord-blood-sword@>

      > > yards

      > > meters
      > > make

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
        <<< I was looking towards something like this:

        http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg

        But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor
        yet (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to
        fit over the armor. >>>

        The key factor that you note here is that you are wearing this to
        fight in. Such over tunics take a lot of abuse and abrasion. I would
        recommend making it out of "trigger", a fairly tough cotton fabric.
        Four yards should be more than enough, even if it in only 48 inches in
        width.

        While linen would "breathe" better, the fact that you are wearing this
        over armor negates any air flow, anyway.

        Hemp cloth would probably be the best material from durability, but it
        is difficult to get and expensive in the United States.

        I commend you for covering your armor. This allows you to hide rather
        non-period looking plastic armor. Even the metal armor that beginning
        SCA fighters end up with is often better covered up. It also solves
        the problem of your persona being from a time and place that didn't
        use knee and elbow protextion, even though these are required my
        modern SCA safety rules.

        Here is a file in my Florilegium file which lists and reviews various
        armorers.
        armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

        This section has some other files on SCA and medieval armored combat
        that you might find of use such as:
        rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

        shields-msg (119K) 3/ 8/10 SCA and period shields.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shields-msg.html

        As far as your earlier questions about buying cloth and why buy
        certain cloth for particular uses, see some of the files in the TEXTLE
        ARTS section such as:
        fabric-ident-msg (24K) 12/30/04 Identifying unknown fabric w.
        various tests.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-ident-msg.html

        fabric-SCA-msg (18K) 10/ 3/94 Finding period-like fabric in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-SCA-msg.html

        Stefan

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Lori Widener
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
          Remember to check to see if there is a discount card available from the store that you are using.  Joann's has a 10% card available/15% if you can document that you are a teacher.  I picked up mine at the store by bringing my SCA membership card and local newsletter.

          Our heavy weapons fighter wears a tunic over his armour that is made from outdoor fabric (usually used to cover patio cushions).  It's a heavy weight and holds up well to the abuse.

          YIS

          Lettice

          ________________________________
          > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
          > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
          > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
          > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
          > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
          > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
          >
          > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
          > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
          > his armor.
          >
          > Francisca
          >
          > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
          > > wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
          > >
          > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
          > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
          > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
          > >

          > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
          > >

          > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
          > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
          > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
          > > > generally don't line it.
          > > >
          > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
          > > >
          > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
          > > >
          > > > Francisca

          > > yet
          > > over

          > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

          > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

          > > <lord-blood-sword@>

          > > yards

          > > meters
          > > make

        • Prudence Doe
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
            Franchesca that is a really nice tunic and hood. You did a fantastic job. I need something like that for my son.  What did you use for a pattern?