Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: yardage for garb question

  • Franchesca Bush
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
      I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
      lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
      still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
      generally don't line it.

      Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg

      Francisca

      On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM, mcdougallmax
      <lord-blood-sword@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I was looking towards something like this:
      >
      > http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg
      >
      > But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor yet
      > (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to fit over
      > the armor.
      >

      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@...>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@>
      > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@>

      > garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards
      > would work but I wanted to ask for advice.
      > > > >
      > > > ask away we will help you as much as we can
      > > >
      > > what do you mean by surcoat? will it have arms? does it fit over your
      > armour? are their pleats? how full is it? do you have a picture? 4 meters
      > is about 4 yards is a lot of fabric I just bought 4 meters of linen to make
      > a full length under dress. you could wrap yourself up like a mummy in 4
      > yards of fabric so it should be plenty for your needs depending on how
      > detailed an how full your design of your surcoat.
      > >
      > > do you need some suggestions?
      > >
      > > pru the sleep deprived nurse

    • mcdougallmax
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
        Yes i can, it looks quite good too!

        well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off, and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.

        http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
          The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
          unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
          day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
          What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
          it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
          when there is a breeze on a hot day.

          The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
          white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
          his armor.

          Francisca

          On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
            Thanks for the insight m'lady

            regards,

            Mark/Maxwell

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@...> wrote:

            > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
            > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
            > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
            > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
            > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
            > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
            >
            > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
            > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
            > his armor.
            >
            > Francisca
            >
            > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
            > > wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
            > >
            > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
            > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
            > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
            > >

            > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
            > >

            > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
            > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
            > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
            > > > generally don't line it.
            > > >
            > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
            > > >
            > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
            > > >
            > > > Francisca

            > > yet
            > > over

            > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

            > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

            > > <lord-blood-sword@>

            > > yards

            > > meters
            > > make

          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13, 2012
              <<< I was looking towards something like this:

              http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg

              But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor
              yet (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to
              fit over the armor. >>>

              The key factor that you note here is that you are wearing this to
              fight in. Such over tunics take a lot of abuse and abrasion. I would
              recommend making it out of "trigger", a fairly tough cotton fabric.
              Four yards should be more than enough, even if it in only 48 inches in
              width.

              While linen would "breathe" better, the fact that you are wearing this
              over armor negates any air flow, anyway.

              Hemp cloth would probably be the best material from durability, but it
              is difficult to get and expensive in the United States.

              I commend you for covering your armor. This allows you to hide rather
              non-period looking plastic armor. Even the metal armor that beginning
              SCA fighters end up with is often better covered up. It also solves
              the problem of your persona being from a time and place that didn't
              use knee and elbow protextion, even though these are required my
              modern SCA safety rules.

              Here is a file in my Florilegium file which lists and reviews various
              armorers.
              armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

              This section has some other files on SCA and medieval armored combat
              that you might find of use such as:
              rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

              shields-msg (119K) 3/ 8/10 SCA and period shields.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shields-msg.html

              As far as your earlier questions about buying cloth and why buy
              certain cloth for particular uses, see some of the files in the TEXTLE
              ARTS section such as:
              fabric-ident-msg (24K) 12/30/04 Identifying unknown fabric w.
              various tests.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-ident-msg.html

              fabric-SCA-msg (18K) 10/ 3/94 Finding period-like fabric in the SCA.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-SCA-msg.html

              Stefan

              --------
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
            • Lori Widener
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
                Remember to check to see if there is a discount card available from the store that you are using.  Joann's has a 10% card available/15% if you can document that you are a teacher.  I picked up mine at the store by bringing my SCA membership card and local newsletter.

                Our heavy weapons fighter wears a tunic over his armour that is made from outdoor fabric (usually used to cover patio cushions).  It's a heavy weight and holds up well to the abuse.

                YIS

                Lettice

                ________________________________
                > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
                > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
                > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
                > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
                > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
                > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
                >
                > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
                > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
                > his armor.
                >
                > Francisca
                >
                > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
                > > wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
                > >
                > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
                > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
                > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
                > >

                > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
                > >

                > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
                > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
                > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
                > > > generally don't line it.
                > > >
                > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
                > > >
                > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
                > > >
                > > > Francisca

                > > yet
                > > over

                > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                > > <lord-blood-sword@>

                > > yards

                > > meters
                > > make

              • Prudence Doe
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 14, 2012
                  Franchesca that is a really nice tunic and hood. You did a fantastic job. I need something like that for my son.  What did you use for a pattern?