yardage for garb question

  • mcdougallmax
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11 11:23 AM
      Hello once again everyone,

      I'm looking to buy fabric so as to make a surcoat for my fighting garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards would work but I wanted to ask for advice.
    • Prudentia
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 12 4:44 AM
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@...> wrote:

        > Hello once again everyone,
        >
        > I'm looking to buy fabric so as to make a surcoat for my fighting garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards would work but I wanted to ask for advice.

        ask away we will help you as much as we can
      • Prudentia
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 12 4:51 AM
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@...> wrote:

          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello once again everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm looking to buy fabric so as to make a surcoat for my fighting garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards would work but I wanted to ask for advice.
          > >
          > ask away we will help you as much as we can

          that was the question wasn't it? sorry it is late I have worked a long and painful shift. 4 yrds is like 4 meters and you could wrap yourself up like a mummy with it. I just bought 4 meters of linen to make a long under dress with in a size 20. So may I ask what you mean by surcoat? I am not being flipant but so many people mean so many different things. Do you mean somthing to go over your armour to cover it up? something with arms on it? or more like a tabard with no arms? do you want lots of pleats? do you have a picture? and what is your mundane size?

          pru the sleep deprived nurse
        • Prudentia
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 12 5:00 AM
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@...> wrote:

            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello once again everyone,
            > >
            > > I'm looking to buy fabric so as to make a surcoat for my fighting garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards would work but I wanted to ask for advice.
            > >
            > ask away we will help you as much as we can

            what do you mean by surcoat? will it have arms? does it fit over your armour? are their pleats? how full is it? do you have a picture? 4 meters is about 4 yards is a lot of fabric I just bought 4 meters of linen to make a full length under dress. you could wrap yourself up like a mummy in 4 yards of fabric so it should be plenty for your needs depending on how detailed an how full your design of your surcoat.

            do you need some suggestions?

            pru the sleep deprived nurse
          • Bambi TBNL
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 12 3:15 PM
              How idea is the fabric? 4 yds of 45 in wide gives you less square footage than s4 yds of 60 ib wide. Im betting the linen was nearer to the 60 in wide range even if it was only 55

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12 3:38 PM
                I was looking towards something like this:

                http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg

                But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor yet (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to fit over the armor.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@...> wrote:

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Prudentia" <iq180andstillatrollop@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello once again everyone,
                > > >
                > > > I'm looking to buy fabric so as to make a surcoat for my fighting garb. I am 5 foot 5 inches (or about that) in height and thought 4 yards would work but I wanted to ask for advice.
                > > >
                > > ask away we will help you as much as we can
                > >
                > what do you mean by surcoat? will it have arms? does it fit over your armour? are their pleats? how full is it? do you have a picture? 4 meters is about 4 yards is a lot of fabric I just bought 4 meters of linen to make a full length under dress. you could wrap yourself up like a mummy in 4 yards of fabric so it should be plenty for your needs depending on how detailed an how full your design of your surcoat.
                >
                > do you need some suggestions?
                >
                > pru the sleep deprived nurse

              • Franchesca Bush
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13 5:17 AM
                  I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
                  lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
                  still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
                  generally don't line it.

                  Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
                  https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg

                  Francisca

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 13 10:25 AM
                    Yes i can, it looks quite good too!

                    well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off, and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.

                    http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 13 1:07 PM
                      The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
                      unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
                      day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
                      What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
                      it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
                      when there is a breeze on a hot day.

                      The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
                      white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
                      his armor.

                      Francisca

                      On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 13 1:15 PM
                        Thanks for the insight m'lady

                        regards,

                        Mark/Maxwell

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@...> wrote:

                        > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
                        > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
                        > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
                        > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
                        > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
                        > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
                        >
                        > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
                        > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
                        > his armor.
                        >
                        > Francisca
                        >
                        > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
                        > > wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
                        > >
                        > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
                        > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
                        > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
                        > >

                        > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
                        > >

                        > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
                        > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
                        > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
                        > > > generally don't line it.
                        > > >
                        > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
                        > > >
                        > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
                        > > >
                        > > > Francisca

                        > > yet
                        > > over

                        > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                        > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                        > > <lord-blood-sword@>

                        > > yards

                        > > meters
                        > > make

                      • Stefan li Rous
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 13 2:00 PM
                          <<< I was looking towards something like this:

                          http://www.brianbero.com/surcoat1_sm.jpg

                          But dark blue, and lacking the crusader cross. I haven't gotten armor
                          yet (still working on it with locals and others) but it would have to
                          fit over the armor. >>>

                          The key factor that you note here is that you are wearing this to
                          fight in. Such over tunics take a lot of abuse and abrasion. I would
                          recommend making it out of "trigger", a fairly tough cotton fabric.
                          Four yards should be more than enough, even if it in only 48 inches in
                          width.

                          While linen would "breathe" better, the fact that you are wearing this
                          over armor negates any air flow, anyway.

                          Hemp cloth would probably be the best material from durability, but it
                          is difficult to get and expensive in the United States.

                          I commend you for covering your armor. This allows you to hide rather
                          non-period looking plastic armor. Even the metal armor that beginning
                          SCA fighters end up with is often better covered up. It also solves
                          the problem of your persona being from a time and place that didn't
                          use knee and elbow protextion, even though these are required my
                          modern SCA safety rules.

                          Here is a file in my Florilegium file which lists and reviews various
                          armorers.
                          armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

                          This section has some other files on SCA and medieval armored combat
                          that you might find of use such as:
                          rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

                          shields-msg (119K) 3/ 8/10 SCA and period shields.
                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shields-msg.html

                          As far as your earlier questions about buying cloth and why buy
                          certain cloth for particular uses, see some of the files in the TEXTLE
                          ARTS section such as:
                          fabric-ident-msg (24K) 12/30/04 Identifying unknown fabric w.
                          various tests.
                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-ident-msg.html

                          fabric-SCA-msg (18K) 10/ 3/94 Finding period-like fabric in the SCA.
                          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/fabric-SCA-msg.html

                          Stefan

                          --------
                          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                        • Lori Widener
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 14 6:59 AM
                            Remember to check to see if there is a discount card available from the store that you are using.  Joann's has a 10% card available/15% if you can document that you are a teacher.  I picked up mine at the store by bringing my SCA membership card and local newsletter.

                            Our heavy weapons fighter wears a tunic over his armour that is made from outdoor fabric (usually used to cover patio cushions).  It's a heavy weight and holds up well to the abuse.

                            YIS

                            Lettice

                            ________________________________
                            > The IL020 is great stuff but it is very fine. I'd suggest the IL019 which
                            > unfortunately just was on sale, but it is cheaper than the 20 on a regular
                            > day. Being very fine it may not take a beating like something heavier.
                            > What my husband is wearing is similar to the IL019 in weight. He loves
                            > it. We are in Ansteorra so linen definitely wears well and is very nice
                            > when there is a breeze on a hot day.
                            >
                            > The IL020 is lightweight, like for shirts or chemises. Maybe you can get
                            > white for an undershirt. My husband loves wearing his linen shirt under
                            > his armor.
                            >
                            > Francisca
                            >
                            > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM, mcdougallmax <lord-blood-sword@...
                            > > wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Yes i can, it looks quite good too!
                            > >
                            > > well, i'm 5'5, so 4 should be more than enough. the following is 10% off,
                            > > and I was advised by a local to go with 100% linen because of the summer
                            > > heat. knowing nothing of fabric, I'm going by what i've been told.
                            > >

                            > > http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&menu=f&fabric_id=742
                            > >

                            > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Franchesca Bush <franchescabush@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I have made something like that for my husband. I use about 4 yards,
                            > > > lined, and he is 6'4. It is 60" wide fabric. If I use 45" fabric I can
                            > > > still do it, but have to piece it together to make a full skirt and
                            > > > generally don't line it.
                            > > >
                            > > > Hopefully you can see the photo on my facebook page.
                            > > >
                            > > https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255085_2114616470020_1383940455_2496077_4736379_n.jpg
                            > > >
                            > > > Francisca

                            > > yet
                            > > over

                            > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                            > > <iq180andstillatrollop@>

                            > > <lord-blood-sword@>

                            > > yards

                            > > meters
                            > > make

                          • Prudence Doe
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 14 8:18 PM
                              Franchesca that is a really nice tunic and hood. You did a fantastic job. I need something like that for my son.  What did you use for a pattern?