Re: SCA armorers, meetings

  • mcdougallmax
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2012
      Thank you once again milord Stefan.

      Noted on the email address. Unfortunately I've been using it everywhere for the past two years (it was originally for an online RPG group) so it would be hard to change.

      > <<< Crusades. specifically 1rst-3rd I know it seems a little cliche,
      > butI like the style. I'm currently trying to find information on good
      > places to buy armor or people to commission for it. My other hobby is
      > miniature wargaming, and I have no experience with a sewing machine
      > or smithing. I already have some basic idea's on my heraldry (namely
      > a white fist on a blue field) >>>
      >
      > Here are some online sources in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium:
      > armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html
      >
      > Actually one of the best places to get armor is to look in person at
      > the venders at big SCA events such as "wars". You will in fact,
      > probably find contacts in the Kingdom of Trimaris, your home kingdom
      > (ie. most of Florida) to be slim for the next week because of Gulf
      > Wars being held in Mississippi. A war, between the Kingdoms of
      > Trimaris and Ansteorra (most of Texas and Oklahoma), held in the
      > Kingdom of Gleann Ahbann which includes Mississippi.
      >
      > At big events you can often find several to many places selling armor
      > to pick from.
      >
      > It is common for most groups to hold business meetings to discuss and
      > often to vote on upcoming events as well as things having to do with
      > the local group.
      >
      > SCA-meetings-msg (9K) 7/ 8/05 How SCA meetings are held around the
      > KW.
      > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/SCA-meetings-msg.html
      >
      > Many groups will also have local guild meetings for things like dance,
      > cooking, brewing, making clothing, bardic and choral groups, crafts
      > etc. Some groups will have all, some will have none. It depends upon
      > the groups. I've also found that groups will come and go over time.
      >
      > Stefan
      >
      > PS: Noting your email address. Don't use titles like "Lord", "Knight",
      > "Sir", in the SCA unless you have earned them. You can however,
      > address anyone as my lord or my lady. This is the title to use if you
      > are unsure or don't know someone's actual rank.
      >
      > --------

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2012
        "mcdougallmax" lord-blood-sword@... replied to me with:
        <<< Noted on the email address. Unfortunately I've been using it
        everywhere for the past two years (it was originally for an online RPG
        group) so it would be hard to change. >>>
        when I commented that
        <<< PS: Noting your email address. Don't use titles like "Lord",
        "Knight",
        > "Sir", in the SCA unless you have earned them. You can however,
        > address anyone as my lord or my lady. This is the title to use if you
        > are unsure or don't know someone's actual rank.>>>

        And I wouldn't bother about changing an email address. There are a
        number of folks still using email addresses like "lordgeorge" when
        they now have a peerage.

        It was more a simple reminder not to go into a meeting and claim that
        you were "Sir George the Mighty" and find yourself challenged to prove
        it to guy wearing the white belt. Probably not a good way to start off
        your SCA career.

        By the way, a plain, white belt is usually the sign of someone that
        has been knighted in the SCA, for expertise on the armored fighting
        field, so if you claim to be one, you better be able to back it up.

        Titles often confuse new folks, and old folks, too. But worse, they
        often intimidate new folks. If you don't know someone's rank, using
        the simple title of "my lord"/"my lady" should be sufficient. Using
        the proper title is a nice thing to do, if you know it, but if someone
        seems to get too bent out of shape over you not using the proper one,
        then they probably didn't deserve the title in the first place. A key
        component of our Society is chivalry/politeness/honor.

        Your SCA persona name can't include a title. Those are only earned.
        For some more on choosing a name:
        Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
        Newcomers"
        by Dietmar Reinhart von
        Straubing and
        Malachias von Morgenstern.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

        names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in
        the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html

        How do you earn a title? It differs for each title, but they are
        awarded by the Royalty of a kingdom.
        Earng-Your-AoA-art (6K) 4/18/02 "Earning your AoA in the SCA" by Lady
        Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Getting-an-AoA-art.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • mcdougallmax
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2012
          Noted and understood.

          > "mcdougallmax" lord-blood-sword@... replied to me with:
          > <<< Noted on the email address. Unfortunately I've been using it
          > everywhere for the past two years (it was originally for an online RPG
          > group) so it would be hard to change. >>>
          > when I commented that
          > <<< PS: Noting your email address. Don't use titles like "Lord",
          > "Knight",
          > > "Sir", in the SCA unless you have earned them. You can however,
          > > address anyone as my lord or my lady. This is the title to use if you
          > > are unsure or don't know someone's actual rank.>>>
          >
          > And I wouldn't bother about changing an email address. There are a
          > number of folks still using email addresses like "lordgeorge" when
          > they now have a peerage.
          >
          > It was more a simple reminder not to go into a meeting and claim that
          > you were "Sir George the Mighty" and find yourself challenged to prove
          > it to guy wearing the white belt. Probably not a good way to start off
          > your SCA career.
          >
          > By the way, a plain, white belt is usually the sign of someone that
          > has been knighted in the SCA, for expertise on the armored fighting
          > field, so if you claim to be one, you better be able to back it up.
          >
          > Titles often confuse new folks, and old folks, too. But worse, they
          > often intimidate new folks. If you don't know someone's rank, using
          > the simple title of "my lord"/"my lady" should be sufficient. Using
          > the proper title is a nice thing to do, if you know it, but if someone
          > seems to get too bent out of shape over you not using the proper one,
          > then they probably didn't deserve the title in the first place. A key
          > component of our Society is chivalry/politeness/honor.
          >
          > Your SCA persona name can't include a title. Those are only earned.
          > For some more on choosing a name:
          > Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
          > Newcomers"
          > by Dietmar Reinhart von
          > Straubing and
          > Malachias von Morgenstern.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html
          >
          > names-FAQ (14K) 5/ 8/96 Choosing and registering names in
          > the SCA.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/names-FAQ.html
          >
          > How do you earn a title? It differs for each title, but they are
          > awarded by the Royalty of a kingdom.
          > Earng-Your-AoA-art (6K) 4/18/02 "Earning your AoA in the SCA" by Lady
          > Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Getting-an-AoA-art.html
          >
          > Stefan
          > --------

        • Zorikh Lequidre
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2012
            For the convenience of folks looking for armorers and armor reference, I actually built a website with links to SCA armorers and many books on the subject...

            http://www.captainzorikh.com/scaarmor/

            Ervald