re: Hello there

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
      Max asked:
      <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
      become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
      garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
      SCA group on facebook.>>>

      Welcome to the SCA!

      You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
      whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
      clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.

      Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
      for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
      although that is probably the most expensive way to go.

      You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
      created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
      on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
      started with the NEWCOMERS section:
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

      A couple of the files in this section are:
      SCA-intro-art (20K) 2/21/00 "Life in the Current Middle Ages",
      An Introduction to the SCA.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-intro-art.html

      Interwoven among all the other things in this Society is courtesy.
      Something that is often sorely laking in the modern world, that turns
      out to be a key part of the Society that we have created:
      courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
      period.
      Hand-kissing and bowing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

      And back to your original question, here is some info on garb:
      clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
      clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html

      Easy-T-Tunics-art (6K) 5/12/06 "Easy T-Tunics" by THL George Anne.
      Directions for making a simple T-
      tunic.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Easy-T-Tunics-art.html

      Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The
      Handbook" by
      Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift
      stores for
      inexpensive SCA clothing.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

      There is also a CLOTHING section in the Florilegium.

      I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me if I can help you
      further.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • mcdougallmax
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
        Thanks for that Stefan. I'm in florida. I emailed the kingdom hospitaller as my local group's website does not give an email address.

        > Max asked:
        > <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
        > become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
        > garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
        > SCA group on facebook.>>>
        >
        > Welcome to the SCA!
        >
        > You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
        > whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
        > clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.
        >
        > Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
        > for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
        > although that is probably the most expensive way to go.
        >
        > You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
        > created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
        > on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
        > started with the NEWCOMERS section:
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
        >
        > A couple of the files in this section are:
        > SCA-intro-art (20K) 2/21/00 "Life in the Current Middle Ages",
        > An Introduction to the SCA.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-intro-art.html
        >
        > Interwoven among all the other things in this Society is courtesy.
        > Something that is often sorely laking in the modern world, that turns
        > out to be a key part of the Society that we have created:
        > courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
        > period.
        > Hand-kissing and bowing.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html
        >
        > And back to your original question, here is some info on garb:
        > clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
        > clothing.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html
        >
        > Easy-T-Tunics-art (6K) 5/12/06 "Easy T-Tunics" by THL George Anne.
        > Directions for making a simple T-
        > tunic.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Easy-T-Tunics-art.html
        >
        > Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The
        > Handbook" by
        > Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift
        > stores for
        > inexpensive SCA clothing.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html
        >
        > There is also a CLOTHING section in the Florilegium.
        >
        > I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me if I can help you
        > further.
        >
        > Stefan
        > --------

      • Deena
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
          Where in Fla?

          DEENA

          Thanks for that Stefan. I'm in florida. I emailed the kingdom hospitaller as my local group's website does not give an email address.

          > Max asked:
          > <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
          > become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
          > garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
          > SCA group on facebook.>>>
          >
          > Welcome to the SCA!
          >
          > You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
          > whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
          > clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.
          >
          > Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
          > for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
          > although that is probably the most expensive way to go.
          >
          > You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
          > created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
          > on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
          > started with the NEWCOMERS section:
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
          >
          > A couple of the files in thi

        • mcdougallmax
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
            Titusville, across the bay from Kennedy space center.

            I've been looking into all sorts of crusades era armor, although I think a greathelm might be a bit much (I wear glasses, and seeing as SCA regulations forbids them, and greathelms reduce visibility considerably)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Deena <deena_kalb@...> wrote:

            > Where in Fla?
            >
            > DEENA

          • aranwen_of_willowford
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
              The best place I could suggest to start as far as getting some garb together is with the basic T-tunic. They're a great staple item, and an easy start too. I made some short-sleeved ones for the hot times, even. I figure a sewing machine is best for doing this though, especially if you're just starting out, but for the next two items below you can absolutely hand sew them. It's easy to and unlike you may think, fast even! (You could of course the tunic too but it may be a lot more stitching if you're not already a sewer!)

              Also when you get in contact with your local group to find out about their meetings, you might see if they will be able to put together (or already have some) newcomer classes. We try to do this whenever we know folks need to know these things, such as after new folks start showing up, and we will help them out with sewing; maybe someone can even bring a machine to stitch your fabric up for you, if someone there has one and can.

              I will have notes of my own typed up before too long but don't yet; Here is one tutorial I found on the basic type of a t tunic you could work on.
              http://iollan.com/archive/rencester/new/tunic.html
              You'll really want to get some fabric and get ahold of something that fits you right like a loose t-shirt to use as a model for cutting out the first tunic. After that you can cut future ones by this tunic. This is something you could have that will fit you well, that others could stitch for you if you need.

              Other things you can look for info on --
              Though it's warm now, the bog coat is a great thing to have for cool weather. (one of those that's easy to hand stitch. just need to find some basic stitch info to get going with that.)

              And, the liripipe is an easy staple item to make for keeping your head warm, which can be a must when it's cold out! (not much to sew. very worth it!)

              Some people don't ever wear garb specific to a persona. Some ONLY do. Some change up seasonally, or perhaps even based on an event. Viking is very popular. A lot of guys will wear the flannel plaid pajama pants, and sometimes will wrap the bottoms with viking leg wraps, too.
              (go down to "Garb: where to begin" http://www.anduntheine.org/BB_0707.pdf - actually, several nifty things in there too....)

              Just a few thoughts to throw out there!
              ~Aranwen of Willow Ford