Hello there

  • mcdougallmax
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
      I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the SCA group on facebook.

      thanks,

      Max
    • theanswerlady1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
        Any idea what region or time period speaks to you?

        From: "mcdougallmax" <lord-blood-sword@...>
        Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:27:53
        To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Hello there

        I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the SCA group on facebook.

        thanks,

        Max

      • D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
          On 6 Mar 2012, at 12:27 PM, mcdougallmax wrote:

          > I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the SCA group on facebook.
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > Max

          Welcome to the Current Middle Ages! :) Do you know of any place or time period you'd like to look into first, or would you just like to experience all you can before you decide on something specific?

          In almost any time and place within SCA period, a very simple T-tunic and plain (not denim) trousers will work admirably for a man until/unless you decide that garbing is one of the areas in which you want to do more. There are patterns for those all over the internet. For women, just make the tunic ankle-length instead of hip- or thigh-length, and that'll work well for first garb. If you know how to sew already, that will stand you in good stead, and you can make something a bit more fancy. I'm kind of new to the hobby and haven't been that active for a while, but I've met people who've been in the SCA for a decade or so before moving past the T-tunic stage and into garb that's more specific to their place and time of interest.

          If you'd rather not make something or buy something right away, most garbed events will have a Gold Key -- garb borrowing or renting -- available, especially if you contact the local chatelaine or hospitaller (basically, the "welcome aboard" person) and ask for assistance. They'll make a point of having something you can borrow for a $10 fee, usually. It's not going to be fancy, but they've got loads of things in all sizes, so it should keep you clothed at day events or overnight ones, until you get around to making or commissioning your own.
          D'vorah bint Da'ud
          dvorah@...
          http://www.consensualreality.net/sca
          Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        • Laurie Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
            Greetings,

            There are no fees for loaner garb usage in some kingdoms, baronies and their
            sub-groups. Definitely find your kingdom web site, and from there your
            closest barony or other group. Look for the Gold Key or possibly the
            Chatelaine, and ask about the loaner garb policy in your area.

            Yours in Service,

            Gelleia de Horlaporte

            Chatelaine, Barony of Twin Moons

            Kingdom of Atenveldt

            _____

            On 6 Mar 2012, at 12:27 PM, mcdougallmax wrote:

            > I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have become
            interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on garb and
            newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the SCA group on
            facebook.

            > thanks,
            >
            > Max

            Welcome to the Current Middle Ages! :) Do you know of any place or time
            period you'd like to look into first, or would you just like to experience
            all you can before you decide on something specific?

            In almost any time and place within SCA period, a very simple T-tunic and
            plain (not denim) trousers will work admirably for a man until/unless you
            decide that garbing is one of the areas in which you want to do more. There
            are patterns for those all over the internet. For women, just make the tunic
            ankle-length instead of hip- or thigh-length, and that'll work well for
            first garb. If you know how to sew already, that will stand you in good
            stead, and you can make something a bit more fancy. I'm kind of new to the
            hobby and haven't been that active for a while, but I've met people who've
            been in the SCA for a decade or so before moving past the T-tunic stage and
            into garb that's more specific to their place and time of interest.

            If you'd rather not make something or buy something right away, most garbed
            events will have a Gold Key -- garb borrowing or renting -- available,
            especially if you contact the local chatelaine or hospitaller (basically,
            the "welcome aboard" person) and ask for assistance. They'll make a point of
            having something you can borrow for a $10 fee, usually. It's not going to be
            fancy, but they've got loads of things in all sizes, so it should keep you
            clothed at day events or overnight ones, until you get around to making or
            commissioning your own.
            -=-=-
            D'vorah bint Da'ud
            dvorah@... <mailto:dvorah%40consensualreality.net>
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
              Crusades. specifically 1rst-3rd I know it seems a little cliche, butI like the style. I'm currently trying to find information on good places to buy armor or people to commission for it. My other hobby is miniature wargaming, and I have no experience with a sewing machine or smithing. I already have some basic idea's on my heraldry (namely a white fist on a blue field)

              Of course, one of the main things is definitely a tunic, but like i said, i have no skill with sewing at all. I'm sure I can find some plain trousers somewhere, and in any case the more modern fittings of such (zipper, button) would be covered by both a gamebeson (all of which i have seen are hideously expensive) and/or my surcoat (which I have only found one available source with which i have quality doubts.

              as far as finding my local chapter, that has been taken care of, however i do need to find an events calendar as all I know of are the fighter practices. I assume there is a business meeting though.

              Mainly if you fine people can help point me in the direction of good armorers with reasonable prices (i'm an unemployed college student - the town is dead as far as jobs go) and/or someone I could commission for such/regular garb (tunic) as well as any administrative things I have to take care of (do i even have to register my personae?) I would be most grateful.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, theanswerlady1@... wrote:

              > Any idea what region or time period speaks to you?

            • Angela Gusta, RN, BSN
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                Where are you located?
                I'm in Phoenix AZ, in the kingdom of Atenveldt. There are always local people who sew or help with garb. What you need to do is find yourself a household that might interest you and see what you have to do to enter. In the case of my household, prospective applicants have to attend 2 wars before they will even be eligible, and then someone has to sponsor them.

                I would go to the major war in your area and check out the people.
                The SCA does not have business meetings, but we do have "Court", where business is kind of done, and awards are given to people who volunteer alot and do other things. Each state is it's own Kingdom, and then it breaks into Baronies and Households from there. Every household is "famous" for something specific. In Atenveldt we have one specific household that does nothing but brewing. Ales, Mead, cordials, you name it, they make it! My household, House Inverted, is famous for fighting. Most of our players fight. A few brew, a few sew, a few do metalwork, but by and large they fight, make armor, do archery, etc.

                A persona is nice, but it's not all that important when you're starting out. I've been in the SCA only 3 years, and only have a name, no persona, no heraldry. I just learned to sew this month. I'm learning to make armor as we speak so that I can take the field, hopefully for Estrella, our major war, at the end of this month.
                Good luck!

                Inea Arcur, House Inverted, Captain of Combat Archery
                invertedarcher@...

                Crusades. specifically 1rst-3rd I know it seems a little cliche, butI like the style. I'm currently trying to find information on good places to buy armor or people to commission for it. My other hobby is miniature wargaming, and I have no experience with a sewing machine or smithing. I already have some basic idea's on my heraldry (namely a white fist on a blue field)

                Of course, one of the main things is definitely a tunic, but like i said, i have no skill with sewing at all. I'm sure I can find some plain trousers somewhere, and in any case the more modern fittings of such (zipper, button) would be covered by both a gamebeson (all of which i have seen are hideously expensive) and/or my surcoat (which I have only found one available source with which i have quality doubts.

                as far as finding my local chapter, that has been taken care of, however i do need to find an events calendar as all I know of are the fighter practices. I assume there is a business meeting though.

                Mainly if you fine people can help point me in the direction of good armorers with reasonable prices (i'm an unemployed college student - the town is dead as far as jobs go) and/or someone I could commission for such/regular garb (tunic) as well as any administrative things I have to take care of (do i even have to register my personae?) I would be most grateful.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, theanswerlady1@... wrote:

                > Any idea what region or time period speaks to you?

              • Chuck Burke
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                  First off, Max, welcome to a whole different world!

                  Good advice above about finding a household, but my recommendation is to
                  first find out more about your local group. If you to to the SCA site at
                  http://www.sca.org, you will find a link at the top of the page labeled
                  Groups. If you just move your mouse over that link, a pop menu will
                  appear, and you can select the "Look up a Kingdom" option. There, you can
                  select your state, and a listing of one or more kingdoms will be shown.
                  Determine which one you fall into, and go to their web site. From there,
                  you should be able to find a map or listing by zip code to identify your
                  local barony/canton/shire. They, in turn, will likely have a web site or
                  at least phone numbers where you can get more information.

                  Don't know how to sew, and don't have the money to afford garb or armor?
                  In the SCA, this is *not* an obstacle. Identify the things you can do.
                  Barter will often get you more than money in this group. Or, consider
                  learning a new craft. I started in the SCA less than 3 years ago, and had
                  never done more than sew a button or fix a 2" ripped seam in my pants.
                  Making my first, simple T-tunic took about a month, working on weekends in
                  my free time. Last month, I made a 6-panel Turkish-style shirt, a
                  knee-length vest, a pair of wide mid-Eastern style pants and a turban in a
                  single weekend.

                  Fighters are always welcome. But fighters who do other things, like sing,
                  dance, sew, cook, carve, forge, etc, get to experience a full life in the
                  SCA.

                  Oh, and give fencing a try, too. <grin>

                  Hopefully, we'll one day meet,
                  Dragos Palikanos
                  "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                • mcdougallmax
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Thanks for the welcome.

                    As I should have said earlier, I was introduced to the SCA by the webminister of the shire of starhaven in the kingdom of trimaris (florida) So I have all that figured out.

                    In addition to getting info on gear, i've been attempting to find out more about in-shire events. All i've found is the starhaven website (below) and that does say there is a "business meeting"

                    http://www.shireofstarhaven.org/

                    I guess I could barter something. I write (sci-fi and fantasy, but I have adapted it for historical fiction), and I paint miniature's. other than that all practical skills would most likely relate to the modern world (photography and image manipulation, videography)

                    Like I said, for something like a T-tunic or a surcoat I'd be happy to commission someone too.

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Burke <cjburke@...> wrote:

                    > First off, Max, welcome to a whole different world!
                    >
                    > Good advice above about finding a household, but my recommendation is to
                    > first find out more about your local group. If you to to the SCA site at
                    > http://www.sca.org, you will find a link at the top of the page labeled
                    > Groups. If you just move your mouse over that link, a pop menu will
                    > appear, and you can select the "Look up a Kingdom" option. There, you can
                    > select your state, and a listing of one or more kingdoms will be shown.
                    > Determine which one you fall into, and go to their web site. From there,
                    > you should be able to find a map or listing by zip code to identify your
                    > local barony/canton/shire. They, in turn, will likely have a web site or
                    > at least phone numbers where you can get more information.
                    >
                    > Don't know how to sew, and don't have the money to afford garb or armor?
                    > In the SCA, this is *not* an obstacle. Identify the things you can do.
                    > Barter will often get you more than money in this group. Or, consider
                    > learning a new craft. I started in the SCA less than 3 years ago, and had
                    > never done more than sew a button or fix a 2" ripped seam in my pants.
                    > Making my first, simple T-tunic took about a month, working on weekends in
                    > my free time. Last month, I made a 6-panel Turkish-style shirt, a
                    > knee-length vest, a pair of wide mid-Eastern style pants and a turban in a
                    > single weekend.
                    >
                    > Fighters are always welcome. But fighters who do other things, like sing,
                    > dance, sew, cook, carve, forge, etc, get to experience a full life in the
                    > SCA.
                    >
                    > Oh, and give fencing a try, too. <grin>
                    >
                    > Hopefully, we'll one day meet,
                    > Dragos Palikanos
                    > "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                  • Stefan li Rous
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                      Max asked:
                      <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
                      become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
                      garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
                      SCA group on facebook.>>>

                      Welcome to the SCA!

                      You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
                      whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
                      clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.

                      Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
                      for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
                      although that is probably the most expensive way to go.

                      You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
                      created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
                      on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
                      started with the NEWCOMERS section:
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

                      A couple of the files in this section are:
                      SCA-intro-art (20K) 2/21/00 "Life in the Current Middle Ages",
                      An Introduction to the SCA.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-intro-art.html

                      Interwoven among all the other things in this Society is courtesy.
                      Something that is often sorely laking in the modern world, that turns
                      out to be a key part of the Society that we have created:
                      courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
                      period.
                      Hand-kissing and bowing.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

                      And back to your original question, here is some info on garb:
                      clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
                      clothing.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html

                      Easy-T-Tunics-art (6K) 5/12/06 "Easy T-Tunics" by THL George Anne.
                      Directions for making a simple T-
                      tunic.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Easy-T-Tunics-art.html

                      Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The
                      Handbook" by
                      Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift
                      stores for
                      inexpensive SCA clothing.
                      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

                      There is also a CLOTHING section in the Florilegium.

                      I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me if I can help you
                      further.

                      Stefan
                      --------
                      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                    • mcdougallmax
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Thanks for that Stefan. I'm in florida. I emailed the kingdom hospitaller as my local group's website does not give an email address.

                        > Max asked:
                        > <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
                        > become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
                        > garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
                        > SCA group on facebook.>>>
                        >
                        > Welcome to the SCA!
                        >
                        > You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
                        > whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
                        > clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.
                        >
                        > Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
                        > for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
                        > although that is probably the most expensive way to go.
                        >
                        > You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
                        > created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
                        > on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
                        > started with the NEWCOMERS section:
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
                        >
                        > A couple of the files in this section are:
                        > SCA-intro-art (20K) 2/21/00 "Life in the Current Middle Ages",
                        > An Introduction to the SCA.
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-intro-art.html
                        >
                        > Interwoven among all the other things in this Society is courtesy.
                        > Something that is often sorely laking in the modern world, that turns
                        > out to be a key part of the Society that we have created:
                        > courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
                        > period.
                        > Hand-kissing and bowing.
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html
                        >
                        > And back to your original question, here is some info on garb:
                        > clothing-4-nc-msg (12K) 11/28/10 Comments for newcomers on SCA
                        > clothing.
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/clothing-4-nc-msg.html
                        >
                        > Easy-T-Tunics-art (6K) 5/12/06 "Easy T-Tunics" by THL George Anne.
                        > Directions for making a simple T-
                        > tunic.
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Easy-T-Tunics-art.html
                        >
                        > Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The
                        > Handbook" by
                        > Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift
                        > stores for
                        > inexpensive SCA clothing.
                        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html
                        >
                        > There is also a CLOTHING section in the Florilegium.
                        >
                        > I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me if I can help you
                        > further.
                        >
                        > Stefan
                        > --------

                      • Deena
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Where in Fla?

                          DEENA

                          Thanks for that Stefan. I'm in florida. I emailed the kingdom hospitaller as my local group's website does not give an email address.

                          > Max asked:
                          > <<< I recently attended my first event (a fighter practice) And have
                          > become interested enough in the SCA to start searching for advice on
                          > garb and newcomer stuff. I was told to come here by a member of the
                          > SCA group on facebook.>>>
                          >
                          > Welcome to the SCA!
                          >
                          > You don't mention where you are, but most groups will have an officer
                          > whose job it is to help newcomers. Many groups will also have
                          > clothiers guilds or other groups to help people with clothing.
                          >
                          > Even if you don't sew, you can learn or find folks to make clothing
                          > for you. It is also possible to buy clothing from various venders
                          > although that is probably the most expensive way to go.
                          >
                          > You might be interested in looking through a set of files that I have
                          > created on SCA and medieval stuff. There are over 2400 different files
                          > on a wide variety of subjects there, but I would recommend getting
                          > started with the NEWCOMERS section:
                          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
                          >
                          > A couple of the files in thi

                        • mcdougallmax
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
                            Titusville, across the bay from Kennedy space center.

                            I've been looking into all sorts of crusades era armor, although I think a greathelm might be a bit much (I wear glasses, and seeing as SCA regulations forbids them, and greathelms reduce visibility considerably)

                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Deena <deena_kalb@...> wrote:

                            > Where in Fla?
                            >
                            > DEENA

                          • aranwen_of_willowford
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 21, 2012
                              The best place I could suggest to start as far as getting some garb together is with the basic T-tunic. They're a great staple item, and an easy start too. I made some short-sleeved ones for the hot times, even. I figure a sewing machine is best for doing this though, especially if you're just starting out, but for the next two items below you can absolutely hand sew them. It's easy to and unlike you may think, fast even! (You could of course the tunic too but it may be a lot more stitching if you're not already a sewer!)

                              Also when you get in contact with your local group to find out about their meetings, you might see if they will be able to put together (or already have some) newcomer classes. We try to do this whenever we know folks need to know these things, such as after new folks start showing up, and we will help them out with sewing; maybe someone can even bring a machine to stitch your fabric up for you, if someone there has one and can.

                              I will have notes of my own typed up before too long but don't yet; Here is one tutorial I found on the basic type of a t tunic you could work on.
                              http://iollan.com/archive/rencester/new/tunic.html
                              You'll really want to get some fabric and get ahold of something that fits you right like a loose t-shirt to use as a model for cutting out the first tunic. After that you can cut future ones by this tunic. This is something you could have that will fit you well, that others could stitch for you if you need.

                              Other things you can look for info on --
                              Though it's warm now, the bog coat is a great thing to have for cool weather. (one of those that's easy to hand stitch. just need to find some basic stitch info to get going with that.)

                              And, the liripipe is an easy staple item to make for keeping your head warm, which can be a must when it's cold out! (not much to sew. very worth it!)

                              Some people don't ever wear garb specific to a persona. Some ONLY do. Some change up seasonally, or perhaps even based on an event. Viking is very popular. A lot of guys will wear the flannel plaid pajama pants, and sometimes will wrap the bottoms with viking leg wraps, too.
                              (go down to "Garb: where to begin" http://www.anduntheine.org/BB_0707.pdf - actually, several nifty things in there too....)

                              Just a few thoughts to throw out there!
                              ~Aranwen of Willow Ford