Stefan's Florilegium article for March

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 9:40 PM
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you have previously sent me an article and it has not appeared in
      the Florilegium, please feel free to contact me. Sometimes email
      doesn't arrive, sometimes I just lose track of things, sometimes there
      are technical problems which with help from the original author can be
      resolved.

      I wasn't at Estrella or Lilies and I won't make Gulf Wars this year.
      If you enjoyed a class there and the teacher had a good handout or
      article, please encourage them to send it to me or email me with
      details and I will try to contact them. Possibly their knowledge and
      effort can then be enjoyed by others across the Known World.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      hand-muffs-msg Period hand muffs. Hand warmers.
      In the ANIMALS section:
      hedgehogs-msg Hedgehogs in medieval Europe and in heraldry.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      leg-wraps-msg Period leg wraps. How to make or buy and wear
      them.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      Int-Pwtr-Cast-art "Intermediate Pewter Casting in Soapstone
      Beyond a Simple Site Token" by Baroness
      Giliana Attewatyr, OL.
      In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
      court-bingo-msg Something for those boring Courts, from
      Trimaris.
      In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
      green-sauces-msg Period green sauces. Sauces of green herbs.
      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
      breakng-t-pot-msg Period recipes where you are to break the pot
      to remove the food.
      In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
      gifts-4-bards-msg Gift ideas for bards and performers.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      Atlantia-hist-msg Histories of the Kingdom of Atlantia.
      Balkans-msg Balkan history and culture. (Yugoslavia)
      blacksmithing-msg Blacksmithing, forges, tools.
      blancmange-msg A medieval rice dish composed principally of
      rice, almond milk
      and chicken.
      cl-Germany-msg Clothing of Medieval Germany.
      early-books-msg Early books. Construction, size.
      fundraising-msg Fundraising ideas for SCA groups.
      gums-resins-msg Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
      mastic,
      frankincense, camphor.
      herbs-msg Herbs used in period and how they were used.
      Modern sources.
      pancakes-msg Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
      panforte-msg A medieval Italian, sweetened, spiced dessert
      bread similar to
      fruitcake or Lebkuchen.
      porridges-msg Period porridges and gruels.
      rapier-books-msg Period and modern books on rapier combat.
      sauces-msg Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
      theater-msg Period theater. SCA re-creations.
      veal-msg Period veal and veal recipes.
      ---
      Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris