Re: [SCA Newcomers] Lawsuit

  • Angela Gusta, RN, BSN
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2012
      Yeah, that's been going on for a while and was just settled. Apparently the insurance companies have told the SCA 'screw you we're not paying' so now we're suing them. What I heard was some whackjob in charge of youth something was a pedophile and tried to abuse some kids. Now most of the baronies EVERYWHERE (at least in the US) are being hit with tithing toward the settlement.

      It's not the organization.
      It's the whackjobs. They're everywhere.

      invertedarcher@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2012
        Angela: One insurance company covered, the other did not.

        And, actually, the kingdoms paid, even at least one not in the U.S.

        Now some kingdoms asked for money from local groups. Or, the local groups
        gave some to them.

        Liam

      • Bambi TBNL
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2012
          Thank you Liam for clarifying what.you really are a wonderful source of info and a cool head.
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2012
            I've had a membership card for years and also just heard about this lawsuit. Given that I don't attend many events I'm not surprised I didn't hear about it. Given the fact that many SCA members have children at events, I doubt there was a conspiracy to keep things quiet. As mentioned before, things like this happen a LOT in all kinds of organizations. As a recently baptized Catholic (*shiver*), it's driven home for me that a lot of GOOD organizations have a few BAD people in them, or associated with them, or on the outskirts of them.

            You don't have to be a member of a group to be concerned with a cause, children are targets everywhere - the store, the movies, etc. - but not being a member of the SCA (if you choose) does NOTHING about the situation you are concerned about.

            I kindly suggest that for those who agree with the sentiment "...I want all the facts before I decide to sign my name to an organization especially if the case involves crimes against
            children..." to help prevent situations like this, to bring awareness of child abuse issues to others, to protect children, to take child safety classes (you never know when you will be helping kids), and not worry about where you are signing your own name but protecting the ones who can't protect themselves.

            ~Raphaella (I think that's my Society name, waiting for the Heralds...)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "wren378" <wren378@...> wrote:

            > I just heard about a lawsuit against the SCA today. I joined SCA last year and no one mentioned it. It came as a shock that the lawsuit had been going on for 2 years when I joined and nothing was said. I realize it doesn't involve the barony I was attending specifically but I want all the facts before I decide to sign my name to an organization especially if the case involves crimes against children. Did everyone else know about this?

          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 13, 2012
              On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 22:57 +0000, Regi wrote:
              > a lot of GOOD organizations have a few BAD people in them

              All organizations have a few bad apples in them. There are about 30,000
              paid members of the SCA. Even if 99% of them are good people, that still
              leaves 300 not-so-good. The SCA has a very high good-to-bad ratio
              compared to the rest of the world, in my opinion, but the number of bad
              apples is still greater than zero. This is true of theft issues, too.
              The vast majority of the time, you can accidentally leave an expensive
              camera or cell phone, or even your wallet, at an SCA event, and someone
              will take great pains to return it to you. On rare occasions, though,
              you will happen to encounter a dishonest or desperate person who doesn't
              do the right thing.

              What this means is that you take reasonable and prudent precautions to
              protect yourself and your loved ones in the SCA, just as you do
              elsewhere, but there is no need to panic.

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Ian Green
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 13, 2012
                // What this means is that you take reasonable and prudent precautions to
                protect yourself and your loved ones in the SCA, just as you do
                elsewhere, but there is no need to panic.//

                I take far less reasonable and prudent precautions at SCA events. I leave
                out my stuff, open unattended and alone for hours at a time with hundreds
                of dollars worth of stuff just laying around for the taking. To date,
                never has anything been stolen from me at an SCA event or activity. Had my
                stuff stolen out of my truck when I stepped away for five minutes about 6
                years ago though.

                As for children, no, I don't suggest you treat them the way I treat my
                stuff. The SCA now uses the children industry standards to protect the
                kids in the SCA. As a person who used to work in a shelter for abused and
                neglected children for many years. I am now very happy with the standards
                the SCA has when it comes to protecting the youth that play in the SCA.

                What happened was terrible and wrong and the SCA took the appropriate steps
                to ensure that situation won't happen again when the rules are followed.

                Ian the Green

                On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Justinos Tekton called Justin <
                justin@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 22:57 +0000, Regi wrote:
                > > a lot of GOOD organizations have a few BAD people in them
                >
                > All organizations have a few bad apples in them. There are about 30,000
                > paid members of the SCA. Even if 99% of them are good people, that still
                > leaves 300 not-so-good. The SCA has a very high good-to-bad ratio
                > compared to the rest of the world, in my opinion, but the number of bad
                > apples is still greater than zero. This is true of theft issues, too.
                > The vast majority of the time, you can accidentally leave an expensive
                > camera or cell phone, or even your wallet, at an SCA event, and someone
                > will take great pains to return it to you. On rare occasions, though,
                > you will happen to encounter a dishonest or desperate person who doesn't
                > do the right thing.
                >
                > What this means is that you take reasonable and prudent precautions to
                > protect yourself and your loved ones in the SCA, just as you do
                > elsewhere, but there is no need to panic.
                >

                > Justin
                >
                > --
                > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
                > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
                > fesswise reversed sable.
                >
                > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                --
                Yours In Service,

                Lord Ian the Green

              • Deena Kalbfleisch
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 13, 2012
                  Doesn't this all boil down to parents keeping an eye on their own children and not expecting the SCA to play babysitter?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 13, 2012
                    Not really.

                    It boils down to mutually helping one another out as a chivalrous society
                    might do. But with certain key provisions to ensure that those who are
                    helping one another out keep one another honest. For example the two deep
                    rule.

                    Two adults not related to one another supervising. This way adults can
                    take turns taking care of the kids so all the adults can go and do the
                    things they love to do in the SCA but that the kids, well, don't like.

                    Also the people who volunteer to work with the kids as an officer must get
                    a background check. This keeps people with a record of not so nice things
                    with kids or adults, don't get a chance to have a veritable buffet served
                    up to them. It is cheap, simple and due diligence. After all we have kids
                    in the SCA and we have people who like working with kids and setting up
                    specifically kids activities in specifically kid palatable ways. This is a
                    good things. And parents have to come check in on their kids. Again of
                    course the two deep rule applies.

                    This is good for the kids because they get to learn and explore in ways
                    that are more fun for them. While every parent knows how to work with
                    their kids at home, it is a different story when it comes to planned
                    activities with many and several kids. Sure the parent needs to be
                    involved but really we send our kids to school to be taught by
                    professionals because not all parents can do that stuff.

                    It isn't about baby sitting and really it never was. It was and is about
                    making the SCA accessible to everyone, including the kids. And doing so in
                    a safe environment.

                    Just my thoughts,

                    Ian the Green

                    Yours In Service,