RE: [SCA Newcomers] Terrible Trip......Laurie Taylor!!

  • Chris Chastain
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
      SCAM ALERT! This is not true, someone has hacked this persons email

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

      "It's not about the Honor you take with you but about the heritage you leave behind."

      ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

      From: costumeraz1@...
      Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 03:29:51 -0800
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Terrible Trip......Laurie Taylor!!

      Hello

      My regrets for this sudden request, On my trip to Madrid Spain.i got

      mugged and all my belongings cash,cellphone and credit cards were all

      stolen at "gun point".It's such a traumatic experience for me.i need

      your help flying back home as I am trying to raise some money.i have

      made contact with my bank but the best they can do is to mail me a new

      card which will take 2-3 days to arrive here.I need you to lend me

      some money to sort my self out of this predicament, will pay back once

      I get this over with.

      Western Union Transfer is the fastest option to wire funds to me. Let

      me know if you need my details(Full names/location) to effect a

      transfer. You can reach me via email.

      I'm freaked out at the moment.

      Thanks

      Laurie

    • Joe Jj
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2012
        This identical message showed up on 2 other lists I'm on, nonSCAdian craft lists, its scam spam. Mark it accordingly, DO NOT REPLY!!Lady Leonarda, Caid

        SCAM ALERT! This is not true, someone has hacked this persons email

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

        "It's not about the Honor you take with you but about the heritage you leave behind."

        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

        [[ Quoted scam redacted by moderator to keep the list archives clean ]]
      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2012
          <<< On my trip to Madrid Spain.i got >>>

          Sigh. Yet another scam.

          But just in case you have a medieval Spanish persona or another
          persona that you'd like to research, check out the various files in
          the CULTURES section of the Florilegium. I try to have files on
          interesting info and possible references for many of the cultures of
          the SCA time period. I also put in there, first-hand accounts and
          recommendations of folks visiting medieval sites in those regions and
          countries.

          For instance for Spain:
          Spain-msg (45K) 12/ 3/10 Medieval Spain. Info. sources.

          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Spain-msg.html

          If you are interested in researching the food of a region and perhaps
          trying some period recipes from that region, take a look at the FOOD-
          BY-REGION section. For instance, again for Spain, I have:

          fd-Spain-msg (176K) 1/29/08 Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.

          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Spain-msg.html

          fd-Portugal-msg (12K) 7/19/10 Food of medieval Portugal. References.

          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Portugal-msg.html

          If you have a persona from a culture not represented by these files,
          please consider writing up an article on that culture or at least a
          bibliography that might help others research a persona from that
          culture.

          Stefan

          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
        • Tom Hickey
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2012
            Help!I have been wrongly accused of witchcraft by the baron of Tequila who says he will cut off all my toes and warts and feed them to his chickens unless you all leave big bags of gold on the next dark of the moon on the path to the manor of his evil henchman Hugh de Beauclair!!!! Please hurry the chickens are staring menacingly! signed Hugh de Beau........ I mean .....Lady Moonbeam of the Shining Waters and Childish but Not Annoying Laughter
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2012
              On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 03:29 -0800, Laurie Taylor wrote:
              > My regrets for this sudden request, On my trip to Madrid Spain.i got
              > mugged and all my belongings cash,cellphone and credit cards were all
              > stolen at "gun point".

              I was at an event and didn't see this post until today (Sunday), so I
              apologize for the slow reaction.

              The above is a SCAM from a hacked email account. I have placed the
              account into moderated-posting-only status, meaning any further posts
              will require manual approval.

              Other moderators, please do not remove moderated status from this
              account until we are sure the problem is corrected. Thanks.

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Laurie Taylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19, 2012
                For what it may be worth, in terms of my moderated status, I've removed the
                hacked e-mail account from ALL of my Yahoo groups, and added a new one in
                its place. That's the address from which this e-mail is coming. I changed
                the password on the hacked e-mail, but do not really trust that to be an
                adequate response, so I am in the process of closing that e-mail
                permanently. Meanwhile though, it's not on my Yahoo groups anymore.

                Gelleia de Horslaporte

                Chatelaine, Barony of Twin Moons

                Kingdom of Atenveldt

                MKA Laurie Taylor

                Phoenix, AZ

                _____

                On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 03:29 -0800, Laurie Taylor wrote:
                > My regrets for this sudden request, On my trip to Madrid Spain.i got
                > mugged and all my belongings cash,cellphone and credit cards were all
                > stolen at "gun point".

                I was at an event and didn't see this post until today (Sunday), so I
                apologize for the slow reaction.

                The above is a SCAM from a hacked email account. I have placed the
                account into moderated-posting-only status, meaning any further posts
                will require manual approval.

                Other moderators, please do not remove moderated status from this
                account until we are sure the problem is corrected. Thanks.

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... <mailto:justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 19, 2012
                  On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 14:55 -0700, Laurie Taylor wrote:
                  > For what it may be worth, in terms of my moderated status, I've
                  > removed the
                  > hacked e-mail account from ALL of my Yahoo groups, and added a new one
                  > in
                  > its place. That's the address from which this e-mail is coming. I
                  > changed
                  > the password on the hacked e-mail, but do not really trust that to be
                  > an
                  > adequate response, so I am in the process of closing that e-mail
                  > permanently. Meanwhile though, it's not on my Yahoo groups anymore.

                  Thank you, My Lady; we appreciate your corrective actions.

                  I should have mentioned in my note, and I apologize for not doing so,
                  that the moderated-posting setting is intended only as a technical
                  protection for the list. It is not in any way meant to be punitive
                  against you, as we understand that you are a victim and not the culpable
                  party. I wasn't meaning to punish you, just to protect the other list
                  members from further posts by the attacker. Again, I'm sorry if you felt
                  otherwise; I usually mention the non-punitive situation in my posts but
                  forgot this time.

                  Kind regards,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2012
                    And I did not take it as punishment either. Just wanted to let everyone
                    know that I'm on top of the problem at my end, and am retiring that e-mail
                    address as fast as possible. I'm not the first to get hit with this crap,
                    and likely won't be the last.

                    And while this is OT, it's important - don't just change your password.
                    While they had access to my e-mail account, they added a forwarding e-mail,
                    so that they were going to start getting all of my e-mails. Heaven knows
                    what a disaster that could have been. For reasons unknown, besides changing
                    the password, I was looking at my other settings. The odd forwarding
                    address jumped right out at me. So if you get hacked, CHECK YOUR SETTINGS!

                    Gelleia

                    _____