Medieval Garb

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
      Greetings,
      I am relatively new to the SCA, and want to work on increasing the authenticity of my garb. I was wondering if there was anything easyily available that I could use to help me in my current quest.

      I have seen the movie Robin Hood (Russel Crowe version), and Black Shield of Falworth (Which I've been told quite often -and sometimes heatedly- that the heraldry is totally wrong in). But is the garb in these movies accurate?

      My persona is an early 15th century English Carpenter/Archer.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Miles Boweman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
        Greetings, Miles. Nice name!

        Movies in general, particularly older movies such as Black Shield of Falworth (which I quite enjoy watching) are rarely good sources for authentic garb. Occasionally they will get something right (the everyday men's clothes in A Knight's Tale) but the same movie will get other things hideously wrong (all of the women's clothing and everything in the ball scene of A Knight's Tale). Your best bet is to look for art history sources showing 15th century English manuscripts and paintings. The reference librarians at your local library could certainly help with this. Others here on this list can chime in with online resources.
        It's generally good to be wary of vendors selling garb listed as "15th century English" unless they specify the exact source it is based on. One very reliable vendor is Historic Enterprises. They are pricey to purchase from, but looking over their site will give you a good idea of what 15th century English clothing looked like. As you can see from the link, they give very specific information about their sources.
        http://historicenterprises.com/ Click on Men's at the top left, and then on 15th century clothing

        Brangwayna
        not employed or reimbursed by HE, I just like their stuff and how they present it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
          Local libraries have a plethera of sources. One of my recent reads that might help is "Costume & Fashion: The Tudors 1485-1547" Book 1  #3.

          It highlights everything from clothing to headgear/hair styles, jewelry,etc

        • Daniel Brizendine
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
            I would stay away from movies all together few if any are right