I need an armorer

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2012
      Help. I need an armorer asap who can fix my helmet (bars across the face)and armor (kneecaps need attachment to shinguards so they don't fall off... and other minor details.
      I CAN PAY! I am totally NOT adept at making armor and don't want the hassle of dealing with it.
      Please contact me at 484 401 4419 if you want the business.

      Gregory
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
        <<< Help. I need an armorer asap who can fix my helmet (bars across
        the face)and armor (kneecaps need attachment to shinguards so they
        don't fall off... and other minor details.
        I CAN PAY! I am totally NOT adept at making armor and don't want the
        hassle of dealing with it.
        Please contact me at 484 401 4419 if you want the business.

        Gregory >>>

        Since it sounds like you need a local armorer, to actually work on
        armor you already have, rather than simply buying some 'off the shelf'
        or custom, it would help if you said where you are. I'm afraid I'm not
        up enough on the area codes to even guess, myself.

        Unless there are some local armorers, it might be best to wait until
        you to a major event and see if you can talk to some armorers there,
        although if you could know which ones would be showing up and you
        could talk to them beforehand, they could make sure they have the
        necessary tools and supplies with them. Gulf Wars is coming up in
        about six weeks, for instance.

        Otherwise you might also post on your local or kingdom lists. A lot of
        folks who can't make complete pieces or sets of armor can help you fix
        the armor you have.

        Of interest to folks thinking of taking up armored combat, your armor
        which you can buy online, will still need so work to make it useable.
        This could mean attaching straps and buckles to padding various pieces.

        Here is a file on various SCA armorers, including reviews of their
        work. For any SCA armorer, I would recommend paying some money up
        front, but not the entire amount. Pay the rest of the amount when the
        armor is ready. Armor making is low margin work and if you aren't
        careful, you will find that the armorer has more incentive to finish
        up armor pieces to take to the next event, than to finish up the work
        you've already paid for. And no, I'm no slamming the armorers. I'd
        had armorers tell me this same thing.

        armorers-lst (86K) 4/19/10 List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armorers-lst.html

        Just so you can be prepared when your armor does break (note, I didn't
        say *if*) you should have a set of your own repair supplies. And check
        your armor over before you head to that next event:
        armor-chklst-msg (12K) 9/23/98 Armor checklist for SCA events and
        wars.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armor-chklst-msg.html

        Some more useful armor files:
        helm-padding-msg (29K) 8/28/10 Period and SCA helm padding and
        strapping.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/helm-padding-msg.html

        Shield-Balanc-art (10K) 6/23/99 "How to Balance your Shield to YOU!"
        by Master Sir Anluan Trelaine.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/Shield-Balanc-art.html

        W-T-Shields-art (20K) 1/19/01 "War and Tourney Shields"
        by HL Aaron of the Black
        Mountains.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/W-T-Shields/W-T-Shields-art.html

        shoes4combat-msg (16K) 5/27/11 Footwear suggestions for SCA combat.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/shoes4combat-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris