period music

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
      D'vorah bint al-Attar replied to Honour with:
      =====
      On 13 Jan 2012, at 8:06 PM, Honour Horne-Jaruk wrote:

      > There's a renaissance instrument perfect for your purposes. It's a
      > Vihuela

      Thank you! I'm going to have fun looking for vihuela music for Akim. I
      hope he's interested in playing it once I've found it!
      ======

      Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
      matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
      Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
      etc?

      I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
      such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
      be artificially limiting>

      But I am not a musician.

      Stefan

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
        On 16 Jan 2012, at 12:48 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

        > Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
        > matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
        > Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
        > etc?
        >
        > I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
        > such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
        > be artificially limiting>
        >
        > But I am not a musician.
        >
        > Stefan

        Music written for a trumpet can be played by a flute, if it's within the ranges possible on both instruments. Music written for a solo flute can be played on the piano, if you don't mind just having a melody line. Music written for an instrument that can play multiple notes at the same time -- piano, violin, harpsichord -- can NOT be played on a flute, because a flute can only play one note at once.

        Music written for an instrument tuned to the key of C (flute, piano, violin) can be played by any other instrument, provided that instrument has the same range (or a one-octave difference, say). It can also be written by an instrument tuned to the key of B-flat (clarinet, trumpet), or the key of F (French horn). However, if another instrument is going to play accompaniment or a duet with it, that instrument will have to either be tuned the same, so that the notes sound the same together, or the music will have to be transcribed for one or both of them, or they'll sound horribly out of tune together.

        There are pieces written for a guitar that could be played on any stringed instrument, it's true. But there are some chords that need more than, say, four strings to play (because there are more than four notes in the chord.

        So, yes, it matters -- a bit, at least -- whether the piece was written for a "guitar or similar" instrument.
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • i_love_latin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
          Basically the rule of thumb was that if the piece fit the range of your instrument, and everyone could transpose to the same key if needed, you could play the piece. So, essentially, instrumentation was restricted by the instruments themselves rather than the composers. I would suggest, however, that in a performance situation, pieces written for a full consort be kept that way, even i you're using a different family of instruments. But that may be just me.

          Another thing that can work, especially if you're just fiddling around and playing chants rather than instrumental music, is this: you can take advantage of instruments in different keys to create instant parallel organum. Just take an instrument tuned to C and add one tuned in F or G (4ths or 5ths), and have both play the line as written.

          Hope that helps!
          Alana Goodewyn

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

          > On 16 Jan 2012, at 12:48 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
          >
          > > Is music often written for a specific instrument? Or is it just a
          > > matter of finding music for family of instruments that are similar?
          > > Ie: large stringed instrument vs. small string instrument vs. woodwind
          > > etc?
          > >
          > > I might suspect that little enough period musical scores exist at all,
          > > such that limiting yourself to music scores for just a Vihuela might
          > > be artificially limiting>
          > >
          > > But I am not a musician.
          > >
          > > Stefan
          >
          > Music written for a trumpet can be played by a flute, if it's within the ranges possible on both instruments. Music written for a solo flute can be played on the piano, if you don't mind just having a melody line. Music written for an instrument that can play multiple notes at the same time -- piano, violin, harpsichord -- can NOT be played on a flute, because a flute can only play one note at once.
          >
          > Music written for an instrument tuned to the key of C (flute, piano, violin) can be played by any other instrument, provided that instrument has the same range (or a one-octave difference, say). It can also be written by an instrument tuned to the key of B-flat (clarinet, trumpet), or the key of F (French horn). However, if another instrument is going to play accompaniment or a duet with it, that instrument will have to either be tuned the same, so that the notes sound the same together, or the music will have to be transcribed for one or both of them, or they'll sound horribly out of tune together.
          >
          > There are pieces written for a guitar that could be played on any stringed instrument, it's true. But there are some chords that need more than, say, four strings to play (because there are more than four notes in the chord.
          >
          > So, yes, it matters -- a bit, at least -- whether the piece was written for a "guitar or similar" instrument.
          > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          > D'vorah bint al-Attar
          > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
          > dvorah@...
          > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
          > Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
          > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

        • D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
            On 17 Jan 2012, at 10:23 AM, i_love_latin wrote:

            > Another thing that can work, especially if you're just fiddling around and playing chants rather than instrumental music, is this: you can take advantage of instruments in different keys to create instant parallel organum. Just take an instrument tuned to C and add one tuned in F or G (4ths or 5ths), and have both play the line as written.
            >
            > Hope that helps!
            > Alana Goodewyn

            *shocked gasp* But that's against the rules for figuring a bass line!

            (The music geeks are nodding. Everybody else is seriously rethinking that decision to give up sniffing scribal inks this week.)
            D'vorah bint al-Attar
            dvorah@...
            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
          • Ian Green
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
              Just thought I would throw out this link:

              http://www.ancientfm.com/

              Listen to medieval and ren music online.

              Ian

              --
              Yours In Service,

              Lord Ian the Green