Stefan's Florilegium files for January

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2012
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      The server which the Florilegium site runs on died a week ago, so if
      you couldn't get to the site, that is why. The Florilegium is now back
      online running on a new server.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you have previously sent me an article and it has not appeared in
      the Florilegium. Sometimes email doesn't arrive, sometimes I just lose
      track of things, sometimes there are technical problems which with
      help from the original author can be resolved.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CLOTHING section:
      How-2-Fnd-Fab-art "How to find Great Historic type Fabric for
      Garb cheaply, at Thrift Stores." by Lady
      Catherine Rose FitzEdmunds.
      In the COMBAT section:
      Osprey-M-Arms-msg Reviews and comments about the Osprey Men at
      Arms series of books.
      In the CULTURES section:
      Egypt-msg Medieval Egypt.
      In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
      cb-rv-Menagier-msg Reviews of cookbooks containing recipes from
      the medieval "Le Menagier de Paris'"
      household management manuscript.
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      fava-beans-msg Fava beans and recipes in period.
      In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING:
      common-wagons-msg Tips on sharing wagons and hand carts to haul
      supplies from the cars to camp.
      event-flyers-msg Suggestions and comments on flyers for events.
      In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
      Criticism-art "Criticism: Giving and Receiving" by The
      Honorable Lady Teleri the Well-Prepared.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      babies-msg Camping with babies.
      bags-baskets-msg Items for carrying things in.
      bananas-msg Period bananas. When and where known.
      beans-msg Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.
      beeswax-msg Beeswax sources. Period uses of beeswax.
      cabbages-msg Period cabbages. Broccoli, Cauliflower,
      Brussel Sprouts. Recipes.
      cherries-msg Period cherries and cherry dishes. Recipes.
      cheesemaking-msg Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
      drums-msg Medieval drums and percussion instruments.
      replacing drumheads.
      fd-Germany-msg Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris