Re: [SCA Newcomers] A newbies plea: help regarding names.

  • Ian Green
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
      A persona is a means by which one explores the "current middle ages," as
      the SCA has it.

      It should not be viewed by anyone as a straight jacket tying you down and
      limiting your adventures in the "current middle ages." This is true of
      your name just as it would be of any other part of your SCA fun.

      I am a calligrapher, and as such I make or prepare much of the tools
      calligraphers would use. I cut quills, I make ink, I have made parchment,
      make pounce, glaire and work on a slanted scribal desk as scribes did for
      many centuries.

      My persona is roughly 1250 Scottish. If I used any part of my persona as a
      straight jacket, limiting me to just my time period, I could do no
      calligraphy past 1300. I would have to limit myself to hands of
      calligraphy that were only known in the time and place that I lived in.
      Instead, I use my persona as a means by which I explore my art of
      calligraphy and I do early, middle and late period hands of calligraphy
      from all over the latin alphabet world (that is the same alphabet we use
      today more or less.)

      My interests don't stop there however. I also do fencing. And frankly if
      any part of my persona were a straight jacket, I simply could not do that.
      Fencing as we understand it today, had its beginning around 1450ish and
      that is stretching it a bit. More past 1500 is really when we see the
      swords being produced that we today call rapiers. That is more than 200
      years past when my person lived and then some. The specific style of
      fencing that I pursue comes 350ish years after my persona's time period.

      My suggestion is to no worry about having a name that works for both. It
      simply isn't something that is required or, in my personal opinion
      advisable. The SCA is about learning and exploring not about limiting
      ourselves.

      That said, you have posed an interesting question and puzzle. One that I
      am sure is of interest to many to play out.

      I sincerely hope you will view your persona, including your name, as a
      vehicle to explore history and not one that will limit you.

      Yours in Service,

      Ian the Green

      --
      Yours In Service,

      Lord Ian the Green

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        <<< Can I register a nom de guerre (war name) as my official SCA name?

        Specifically, I would like the name "Carnifex Rex", latin for
        "executioner
        king", which I understand has it's noble implications, but as a nom de
        guerre I
        think it is fantastic. It can be applied TO the viking persona by his
        enemies,
        latin being fitting as abbeys and churches were frequent targets for
        viking
        raids, and wrote in latin. And it can also be applied BY the Templar
        persona, as
        a way of instilling fear in his enemies, again with latin being a huge
        factor in
        every day life for the Templar. >>>

        I'm not a name herald, but I don't think you can. I think it crosses
        the line into claiming a rank you don't have.

        Can you find evidence of anyone in those two cultures using a name
        similar to that in Latin or not?

        Your local herald would be the place to start, even if you aren't
        getting any response from your local group in general. After you've
        tried that route and if you get no attention, then I'd try your
        regional heraldic officer. You've started with the right on-line
        resources.

        Stefan

        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris