A newbies plea: help regarding names.

  • carnifexrex@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
      (Sorry if this was sent to you all, I am unfamiliar with Yahoo groups)
      Hey all,

      Most of you haven't met me, as I've only been to a couple meetings.
      However, I intend on ramping up on attendance.

      Anyhow, I need help with my name specifically. Ideally, a name that could be
      used interchangeably between a danish late-viking age persona, and a early 14th
      century Knight Templar Sergeant. I know these are two very different time
      periods, and cultures, however, I think an easy way to link them is to focus on
      early Norman culture, as they were descendants of vikings, and France later
      served as the birthplace and headquarters of the Knights Templar. Convoluted, I
      know. I have already been to http://www.s-gabriel.org/ as well as the naming
      pages on http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html, additionally, I
      have found a plethora of old norse names, as well as norman names. And now, to
      the real question:

      Can I register a nom de guerre (war name) as my official SCA name?

      Specifically, I would like the name "Carnifex Rex", latin for "executioner
      king", which I understand has it's noble implications, but as a nom de guerre I
      think it is fantastic. It can be applied TO the viking persona by his enemies,
      latin being fitting as abbeys and churches were frequent targets for viking
      raids, and wrote in latin. And it can also be applied BY the Templar persona, as
      a way of instilling fear in his enemies, again with latin being a huge factor in
      every day life for the Templar.

      I feel this would allow me to fluidly adapt my persona over a longer period of
      time, and should I finally determine which route I really want to commit to, I
      can create a more standard name.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Cheers
    • Ian Green
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
        A persona is a means by which one explores the "current middle ages," as
        the SCA has it.

        It should not be viewed by anyone as a straight jacket tying you down and
        limiting your adventures in the "current middle ages." This is true of
        your name just as it would be of any other part of your SCA fun.

        I am a calligrapher, and as such I make or prepare much of the tools
        calligraphers would use. I cut quills, I make ink, I have made parchment,
        make pounce, glaire and work on a slanted scribal desk as scribes did for
        many centuries.

        My persona is roughly 1250 Scottish. If I used any part of my persona as a
        straight jacket, limiting me to just my time period, I could do no
        calligraphy past 1300. I would have to limit myself to hands of
        calligraphy that were only known in the time and place that I lived in.
        Instead, I use my persona as a means by which I explore my art of
        calligraphy and I do early, middle and late period hands of calligraphy
        from all over the latin alphabet world (that is the same alphabet we use
        today more or less.)

        My interests don't stop there however. I also do fencing. And frankly if
        any part of my persona were a straight jacket, I simply could not do that.
        Fencing as we understand it today, had its beginning around 1450ish and
        that is stretching it a bit. More past 1500 is really when we see the
        swords being produced that we today call rapiers. That is more than 200
        years past when my person lived and then some. The specific style of
        fencing that I pursue comes 350ish years after my persona's time period.

        My suggestion is to no worry about having a name that works for both. It
        simply isn't something that is required or, in my personal opinion
        advisable. The SCA is about learning and exploring not about limiting
        ourselves.

        That said, you have posed an interesting question and puzzle. One that I
        am sure is of interest to many to play out.

        I sincerely hope you will view your persona, including your name, as a
        vehicle to explore history and not one that will limit you.

        Yours in Service,

        Ian the Green

        --
        Yours In Service,

        Lord Ian the Green

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
          <<< Can I register a nom de guerre (war name) as my official SCA name?

          Specifically, I would like the name "Carnifex Rex", latin for
          "executioner
          king", which I understand has it's noble implications, but as a nom de
          guerre I
          think it is fantastic. It can be applied TO the viking persona by his
          enemies,
          latin being fitting as abbeys and churches were frequent targets for
          viking
          raids, and wrote in latin. And it can also be applied BY the Templar
          persona, as
          a way of instilling fear in his enemies, again with latin being a huge
          factor in
          every day life for the Templar. >>>

          I'm not a name herald, but I don't think you can. I think it crosses
          the line into claiming a rank you don't have.

          Can you find evidence of anyone in those two cultures using a name
          similar to that in Latin or not?

          Your local herald would be the place to start, even if you aren't
          getting any response from your local group in general. After you've
          tried that route and if you get no attention, then I'd try your
          regional heraldic officer. You've started with the right on-line
          resources.

          Stefan

          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris