Re: [SCA Newcomers] re: Saludos from Puerto Rico

  • SoftcombatGamesPR
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
      I think Trimaris shall have the claim over Puerto Rico, since is basicly the nearest kingdom , right? Or it doesn t work that way?
      Att
      Jose

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > California and Australia with the West Kingdom, the original SCA group
      > > in northern California.
      > >
      > > You might find these files in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium
      > > website to be of use:
      > > new-groups-msg (17K) 6/11/05 Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
      > > groups.
      > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html
      > > Start-a-Group-art (16K) 1/12/10 "Forming a New SCA Branch: A Guide to
      > > Getting Started" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin.
      > >
      > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Start-a-Group-art.html
      > >
      > > As a newcomer to the SCA you might also enjoy some of the files in the
      > > NEWCOMERS section.
      > >
      > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html
      > >
      > > You don't have to have an official group to participate in the SCA, an
      > > unofficial household often works, and I recommend that for many small
      > > groups since trying to form an official group with its minimum number
      > > of officers can strain a small group and lead to job swapping as terms
      > > expire, with the result that folks get burned out.
      > >
      > > However a household can still travel to adjacent areas and play with
      > > them. That's probably rather difficult in your situation.
      > >
      > > Most of the literature and documentation about the SCA is likely to be
      > > in English. You obviously speak English, but how about your possible
      > > new members? This doesn't keep your friends from participating the
      > > SCA, but it could make it more difficult.
      > >
      > > Here are another couple of files in the SCA-INC section which would be
      > > a good idea to read.
      > >
      > > recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of New
      > > Members" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      > >
      > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruiting-art.html
      > >
      > > recruitment-msg (57K) 9/29/10 Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new
      > > members.
      > >
      > > http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html
      > >

      > > <<< I have some experience on eastern martial arts(including kendo and
      > > kali) but that s it.Plus I have worked a little with leather, mild
      > > steel and chainmaille... >>>
      > >
      > > We don't practice any of the oriental martial arts, however, having
      > > such knowledge is a big help when trying to learn and use SCA and
      > > medieval sword fighting. You might wish to look at the CRAFTS and the
      > > COMBAT section of the Florilegium for some info and articles on
      > > working with leather and leather armor, as well as making chainmail.
      > >
      > > There are over 2300 different files in the Florilegium on the SCA and
      > > various medieval subjects, so hopefully they can help both you and the
      > > group you wish to start. Although I've never been involved in starting
      > > a group, as I've only lived in one place and the group was old and
      > > established when I joined, please feel free to email me with any
      > > questions.
      > >
      > > Stefan
      > >
      > > --------
      > > THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

    • SoftcombatGamesPR
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 25, 2011
        Hi,
        Puerto Rico is a US Non-Incorporated Territory governed by a Commonwealth goverment....a messy one at best. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem you just noticed Kyla.
        Att
        José

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

        > With that information, here is the Outlands website, with links for
        > officers - like chatelaine/hospitaler and seneschal - who should be able to
        > answer some of your questions and help you get started with your own group.
        >
        > http://www.outlands.org/
        > http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=71 hospitaler's page.
        >
        > I did notice that there is no way to 'find' Puerto Rico on the SCA website
        > 'locate your kingdom' section - it is not in with the states, nor is it in
        > with the other countries.
        > Perhaps this oversite can be corrected?
        > Does someone on this list know how to go about that?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tabitha Pennywarden
        > Ravenslake, Midlands
        > Middle Kingdom

      • robert.huttinger
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

          This is an old post, but I will be moving to PR in a year. If nobody stops me I will claim these lands for Atlantia! JK. ok kinda not... Anyway, If there is a PR contingent there, I would love to meet you all and bring some state-side flavor to any active community there!

        • hippy_dippy_dancer
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2013
            I have family in pr and lived tthere myself many moon0 ago. As far as I know calaiming it for atlantia might just work if trimaris hasn't som how beeten us to it. How ever I would also point out that there are aircraft carriers that are registered as cantons in va and there is a large naval base in pR. It is possible some connections might be discovered that way

            From: <camerondegrey@...>
            Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            Date: 24 Nov 2013 19:00:52 -0800
            To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>