Stefan's Florilegium files for December 2011

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      My apologies for this being late this month. I got laid off in early
      December from what I thought would finally be a secure job for me and
      have had to switch into job search mode again. I am also switching to
      using NeoOffice Writer instead of Word. It is optimized for the
      Macintosh platform and produces cleaner, smaller HTML code for the
      website. However, it did mean re-writing my HTML processing program
      that I use to post-process the HTML files for publication on the
      website. If this causes a problem for you with the new files, please
      let me know.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      A Happy Yule to all!

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Chocolat-Mead-art "Chocolate Mead aka Liquid Sex Mead" by Lord
      Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      Bliauts-art “The Mysterious Bliaut Revealed” by Mistress
      Enid d’Auliere, OL
      In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
      Viking-Bed-art "Design and making of a 10th century Viking
      bed" by Lord Rhys, Capten, gen y Arian Lloer.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      P-Thngs-To-Do-art “Things To Do At Pennsic” by Lady Katharine
      of Caithness.
      What-s-Pensic-art "What is Pennsic?" by THLady Hrefna
      In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
      Bayeux-Tapsty-art "Bayeux Tapestry: A Brief Overview" by
      Lady Eleanor Ravenild.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      cookbooks-SCA-msg Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
      Presrvd-lemons-msg Dried, pickled and salted preserved lemons.
      salt-msg Medieval salt production and use.
      spice-storage-msg Period and modern spice storage.
      tent-floors-msg What to use on the ground in your tent.

      Since we are entering the Yule season, here are a few seasonal files:
      apples-cinn-msg Period recipes which include both apples and
      bread-pudding-msg Period bread pudding.
      Christmas-art Medieval Christmas.
      Sugarplums-art "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
      Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
      St-Nicholas-art Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
      T-H-Dreidel-art "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora
      Toys-in-th-MA-art "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady Margritte
      of Ravenscroft.
      wassail-msg Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
      Yule-msg Yule celebrations.
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.