Stefan's Florilegium files for November

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
      paintg-f-msks-msg Discussions on whether to paint designs on
      fencing masks for SCA rapier combat.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      Glass-Goblets-art "Venetian Betrothal Goblets" by Mistress
      katherine kerr.
      Mk-a-Horn-Cup-art "Making a Horn Cup" by Bran Buchanan.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Generic-Clths-art "Generic Clothes - Tunic, Skirt, Shirt, and
      Pants" by Caitlin nic Raighne.
      Male-Co-Rulrs-art "Male Co-Rulers In History" by Lady Rose the
      Obnoxious.
      In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
      100-Tanka-art "A Gathering of Flowers - 100 Tanka by Lady
      Ingeborg bildsbriótr Ulfsdottir.
      In the PERSONAS section:
      p-swears-msg Period swears, oaths and insults. Euphemisms.
      In the new TECHNOLOGY section:
      dragon-kites-art "A Dragon (Serpent) by Any Other Name" by Lord
      Archer MacRobert.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      arch-supplies-msg Archery supplies and merchants.
      hair-msg Period and SCA hairstyling and care.
      iron-pot-srcs-msg Sources for iron pots.
      marshmallows-msg The original marshmallow treats, made from
      the Marsh Mallow plant.
      new-groups-msg Procedures and advice on starting new SCA
      groups.
      newcomers-msg How to make newcomers to your group.
      comfortable. Integrating newcomers.
      underwear-msg What to wear under garb. SCA and period.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2014
        Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

        For those of you wanting an easier way to see everything is in the Florilegium, all 2500+ files, without paging through subsection after subsection, you can now do so by looking at or downloading the filelist-list. I have just uploaded the newest version of this file.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

        You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.

        If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

        I am also looking for a few volunteers to help with the Florilegium article postings.
        I need a backup representative for the Drachenwald mail list for when my first representative, Alasdair is out of town.

        Because of mail list problems, I can read the Yahoo NEWCOMERS list, but not post to it. I would like a volunteer who would forward my occasional posts to that list.

        While my intent is to post to all kingdom lists, it is possible that this isn’t happening. If you are aware of this posting, but have not seen it on your kingdom list, please let me know. Also if you are on another list where this article doesn’t appear, but you think it would be appreciated, please contact me.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        --------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-five years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        For those who would like to see a complete listing of the files in the Florilegium, without paging through subsection after subsection, I have just updated the filelist. Just click on the filelist-list at the top of any section. You can also download this in RTF format and print it out, but be aware that it is now about 60 pages long.

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
        pig-milk-msg Use of pig milk. Difficulties in milking pigs.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/pig-milk-msg.html
        In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
        Pfm4High-Tble-art "Performing for High Table" by THL Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Pfm4High-Tble-art.html
        Stories_4_Beg-art "SCA Stories for Beginners" by Mistress Dervila ni Leanon, O.L.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/Stories-4-Beg-art.html
        In the SCA-INC section:
        retainers-msg Royal and Baronial retainers in the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/retainers-msg.html
        SCA-meetings-msg How SCA meetings are held around the KW.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/SCA-meetings-msg.html
        In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
        Volntr-Crunch-art "The Volunteer Crunch: Adapting to Social Media" by Duchess Willow de Wisp, OP.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/Volntr-Crunch-art.html

        Updated files:
        capers-msg Use of capers in medieval food.
        aspic-msg Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
        bagels-msg Period bagels.
        bev-water-msg Water as a beverage in period.
        jewelry-msg Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.
        Jews-msg Medieval Jews, Jewish personas.
        lamb-mutton-msg Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
        ME-feasts-msg Middle Eastern feasts. sitting, serving.
        p-menus-msg Examples of medieval feast menus.
        pottery-msg Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
        tasting-tabls-msg Introducing people to medieval foods using food samples and tasting tables.

        For this month, I'd like to highlight a few seasonal files that folks might find of interest:
        Autmn-Holidys-art "Autumn Moons and Holidays" by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
        chestnuts-msg Medieval harvesting and use of chestnuts. Roasting. Recipes.
        DYKIP-Startrs-art "Did You Know it's Period? Part 6: Starters And Appetizers" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
        finger-foods-msg Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
        holidays-msg Halloween, Samhain, other Medieval holidays.
        onion-soups-msg Period onion soups.
        p-cstume-prty-msg Period/medieval costume parties.
        stufed-pltry-msg Period stuffed poultry recipes.
        turkeys-msg Use of turkeys in Renaissance Europe.
        ----
        Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

        <end>
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris