Re: [SCA Newcomers] Role for Sage?

  • Tom Hickey
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
      We're in Silver City!  Thanks for any guidance.
      - Tom

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
        Tom asked some questions as a newcomer.

        Tom since I get this list in digest form, I'm seeing all your
        questions and the answers in one batch, so here are my replies:
        <<< I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.
        I could teach people to play it.
        Archery sounds good!>>>

        I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium, at www.florilegium.org

        You might want to look at the ARCHERY section there. We shoot both
        longbows and crossbows at various targets in various types of shoots.
        No compound bows with all the pulleys and mechanical additions, though.

        Also archery is allowed in many armored combat scenerios, with special
        "safe" arrows and bow wieght limits on the bows. Again, bow and
        crossbow. See the ARCHERY section.

        Like big toys? See this file in the COMBAT section:siege-engines-msg
        (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.

        From the ENYRRTAINMENT section:
        games-msg (113K) 7/18/04 Medieval board games and sports.

        In the CRAFTS section since you mention making stuff:
        wood-msg (62K) 2/ 8/08 Different types of wood, period terms.
        merch-woods-msg (5K) 5/25/02 Sources for period and exotic woods.
        wood-bending-msg (20K) 1/ 6/11 Period and modern methods for
        bending wood.
        wood-finishes-msg (98K) 2/13/08 Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.

        woodworking-msg (50K) 4/24/05 Woodworking tools and techniques. wood
        finishes.
        chip-carving-msg (5K) 11/29/99 Comments on chip carving, (wood
        carving).

        <<< I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it
        looks.>>>
        wood-utensils-msg (18K) 3/29/08 Making and finishing wooden
        utensils, mugs.
        Working-Horn-art (62K) 7/19/08 "Working with Horn and Skeletal
        Materials" by Lord Mikal Isernfocar (called Ironhawk).
        Horn-Spoons-art (9K) 1/ 5/00 "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
        Gunnora
        Hallakarva.
        Horn-Working-art (18K) 5/21/08 "Method for period horn work" by Kirk
        Morrison.

        Dragos Pelikanos replied to Tom saying:
        <<< In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but
        trying
        to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
        interpretation of it, at least.>>>

        See the PERSONA section and perhaps the following sections and files.
        In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
        magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
        SCA.
        SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different
        people.

        I hope this gives you an idea of some of things you can do in the SCA,

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Tom Hickey
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
          Thanks Stefan!  I will check out those links.  I have a simple crossbow (no pulleys etc.)
          - Tom

          Tom since I get this list in digest form, I'm seeing all your
          questions and the answers in one batch, so here are my replies:
          <<< I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.
          I could teach people to play it.
          Archery sounds good!>>>

          I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium, at www.florilegium.org

          You might want to look at the ARCHERY section there. We shoot both
          longbows and crossbows at various targets in various types of shoots.
          No compound bows with all the pulleys and mechanical additions, though.

          Also archery is allowed in many armored combat scenerios, with special
          "safe" arrows and bow wieght limits on the bows. Again, bow and
          crossbow. See the ARCHERY section.

          Like big toys? See this file in the COMBAT section:siege-engines-msg
          (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.

          From the ENYRRTAINMENT section:
[...]

        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 19, 2011
            Tom, here's the meetup page, and currently the best source of information
            for SCA goings on in the region surrounding el paso and las cruces.

            http://www.meetup.com/scaelpaso

            Please do come out to the Las Cruces Ren Faire and hang out! Information is
            on the meetup page.

            Cailin