Re: [SCA Newcomers] Role for Sage?

  • Tom Hickey
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
      A worthy goal, Sir.

      From: Chuck Burke <cjburke@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 7:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Role for Sage?

      In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but trying
      to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
      interpretation of it, at least.

      Yours in Service,
      Dragos Pelikanos
      "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

      On 10/17/2011 8:48 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
      > Pretty cool, So do you live in the Middle Ages? I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it looks.
      > - Tom
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
        Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
        the right people.

        Cailin
        On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > A worthy goal, Sir.

      • Tom Hickey
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
          We're in Silver City!  Thanks for any guidance.
          - Tom

          Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
          the right people.

          Cailin
          On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > A worthy goal, Sir.

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
            Tom asked some questions as a newcomer.

            Tom since I get this list in digest form, I'm seeing all your
            questions and the answers in one batch, so here are my replies:
            <<< I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.
            I could teach people to play it.
            Archery sounds good!>>>

            I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium, at www.florilegium.org

            You might want to look at the ARCHERY section there. We shoot both
            longbows and crossbows at various targets in various types of shoots.
            No compound bows with all the pulleys and mechanical additions, though.

            Also archery is allowed in many armored combat scenerios, with special
            "safe" arrows and bow wieght limits on the bows. Again, bow and
            crossbow. See the ARCHERY section.

            Like big toys? See this file in the COMBAT section:siege-engines-msg
            (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.

            From the ENYRRTAINMENT section:
            games-msg (113K) 7/18/04 Medieval board games and sports.

            In the CRAFTS section since you mention making stuff:
            wood-msg (62K) 2/ 8/08 Different types of wood, period terms.
            merch-woods-msg (5K) 5/25/02 Sources for period and exotic woods.
            wood-bending-msg (20K) 1/ 6/11 Period and modern methods for
            bending wood.
            wood-finishes-msg (98K) 2/13/08 Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.

            woodworking-msg (50K) 4/24/05 Woodworking tools and techniques. wood
            finishes.
            chip-carving-msg (5K) 11/29/99 Comments on chip carving, (wood
            carving).

            <<< I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it
            looks.>>>
            wood-utensils-msg (18K) 3/29/08 Making and finishing wooden
            utensils, mugs.
            Working-Horn-art (62K) 7/19/08 "Working with Horn and Skeletal
            Materials" by Lord Mikal Isernfocar (called Ironhawk).
            Horn-Spoons-art (9K) 1/ 5/00 "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
            Gunnora
            Hallakarva.
            Horn-Working-art (18K) 5/21/08 "Method for period horn work" by Kirk
            Morrison.

            Dragos Pelikanos replied to Tom saying:
            <<< In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but
            trying
            to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
            interpretation of it, at least.>>>

            See the PERSONA section and perhaps the following sections and files.
            In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
            magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
            SCA.
            SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different
            people.

            I hope this gives you an idea of some of things you can do in the SCA,

            Stefan
            --------
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          • Tom Hickey
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
              Thanks Stefan!  I will check out those links.  I have a simple crossbow (no pulleys etc.)
              - Tom

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 19, 2011
                Tom, here's the meetup page, and currently the best source of information
                for SCA goings on in the region surrounding el paso and las cruces.

                http://www.meetup.com/scaelpaso

                Please do come out to the Las Cruces Ren Faire and hang out! Information is
                on the meetup page.

                Cailin