Re: [SCA Newcomers] Role for Sage?

  • Tom Hickey
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
      Wow!  That is a big help!  Very cool possibilities.
      How do I get more involved?
      We live in SW New Mexico.  There's a little brief Ren Faire in Las Cruces 2 hours away, and a big two-month long one in Tucson 3 1/2 hours away.  Is that the main type of event SCA attends, or are there other pure SCA events/gatherings in the SW?
      - Tom

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
        This places you in the Kingdom of the Outlands. There is a map of the Kingdom, showing the Baronies and Shires within the Outlands, at http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=442

        I don't know about other areas, but up here in Aethelmarc (upstate New York, parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia) the SCA and the Renn Faires are seperate. My own view is, the Renn Faire folks are professionals, getting paid for it, while we in the SCA do it for the love of the activity. Not to say the Faires are bad, quit ethe contrary, I love them. But there's a difference between preparing for scheduled performances in a role (even if it's largely improvisational) and living your life in the modern Middle Ages.

        Yours in Service,
        Dragos Pelikanos
        "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
          Pretty cool,  So do you live in the Middle Ages?  I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it looks.
          - Tom

          ________________________________
          I don't know about other areas, but up here in Aethelmarc (upstate New York, parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia) the SCA and the Renn Faires are seperate. My own view is, the Renn Faire folks are professionals, getting paid for it, while we in the SCA do it for the love of the activity. Not to say the Faires are bad, quit ethe contrary, I love them. But there's a difference between preparing for scheduled performances in a role (even if it's largely improvisational) and living your life in the modern Middle Ages.

          Yours in Service,
          Dragos Pelikanos
          "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hickey <thickeymd@...> wrote:

          > Wow!  That is a big help!  Very cool possibilities.
          > How do I get more involved?
          > We live in SW New Mexico.  There's a little brief Ren Faire in Las Cruces 2 hours away, and a big two-month long one in Tucson 3 1/2 hours away.  Is that the main type of event SCA attends, or are there other pure SCA events/gatherings in the SW?
          > - Tom

        • Chuck Burke
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
            In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but trying
            to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
            interpretation of it, at least.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
              A worthy goal, Sir.

              In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but trying
              to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
              interpretation of it, at least.

              Yours in Service,
              Dragos Pelikanos
              "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

              On 10/17/2011 8:48 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
              > Pretty cool, So do you live in the Middle Ages? I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it looks.
              > - Tom
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Cailin Mac Kinnach
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
                the right people.

                Cailin
                On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > A worthy goal, Sir.

              • Tom Hickey
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                  We're in Silver City!  Thanks for any guidance.
                  - Tom

                  Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
                  the right people.

                  Cailin
                  On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > A worthy goal, Sir.

                • Stefan li Rous
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                    Tom asked some questions as a newcomer.

                    Tom since I get this list in digest form, I'm seeing all your
                    questions and the answers in one batch, so here are my replies:
                    <<< I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.
                    I could teach people to play it.
                    Archery sounds good!>>>

                    I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium, at www.florilegium.org

                    You might want to look at the ARCHERY section there. We shoot both
                    longbows and crossbows at various targets in various types of shoots.
                    No compound bows with all the pulleys and mechanical additions, though.

                    Also archery is allowed in many armored combat scenerios, with special
                    "safe" arrows and bow wieght limits on the bows. Again, bow and
                    crossbow. See the ARCHERY section.

                    Like big toys? See this file in the COMBAT section:siege-engines-msg
                    (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.

                    From the ENYRRTAINMENT section:
                    games-msg (113K) 7/18/04 Medieval board games and sports.

                    In the CRAFTS section since you mention making stuff:
                    wood-msg (62K) 2/ 8/08 Different types of wood, period terms.
                    merch-woods-msg (5K) 5/25/02 Sources for period and exotic woods.
                    wood-bending-msg (20K) 1/ 6/11 Period and modern methods for
                    bending wood.
                    wood-finishes-msg (98K) 2/13/08 Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.

                    woodworking-msg (50K) 4/24/05 Woodworking tools and techniques. wood
                    finishes.
                    chip-carving-msg (5K) 11/29/99 Comments on chip carving, (wood
                    carving).

                    <<< I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it
                    looks.>>>
                    wood-utensils-msg (18K) 3/29/08 Making and finishing wooden
                    utensils, mugs.
                    Working-Horn-art (62K) 7/19/08 "Working with Horn and Skeletal
                    Materials" by Lord Mikal Isernfocar (called Ironhawk).
                    Horn-Spoons-art (9K) 1/ 5/00 "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
                    Gunnora
                    Hallakarva.
                    Horn-Working-art (18K) 5/21/08 "Method for period horn work" by Kirk
                    Morrison.

                    Dragos Pelikanos replied to Tom saying:
                    <<< In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but
                    trying
                    to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
                    interpretation of it, at least.>>>

                    See the PERSONA section and perhaps the following sections and files.
                    In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
                    magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
                    SCA.
                    SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different
                    people.

                    I hope this gives you an idea of some of things you can do in the SCA,

                    Stefan
                    --------
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                  • Tom Hickey
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                      Thanks Stefan!  I will check out those links.  I have a simple crossbow (no pulleys etc.)
                      - Tom

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 19, 2011
                        Tom, here's the meetup page, and currently the best source of information
                        for SCA goings on in the region surrounding el paso and las cruces.

                        http://www.meetup.com/scaelpaso

                        Please do come out to the Las Cruces Ren Faire and hang out! Information is
                        on the meetup page.

                        Cailin