Re: [SCA Newcomers] Role for Sage?

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
      I would recommend archery or thrown weapons as martial activities.

      What do you like to do. SCA groups are always looking for cooks, and there
      are people who can teach you most arts and sciences.

      I am a service-track guy, so I tend to favor the "carrying things and making
      things go" approach.

      The SCA is a volunteer organization and runs on people like that.

      On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Tom <thickeymd@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > What are some good personas for a more-than-middle-aged guy? I don't have
      > enough facial hair to pass as Gandolf, nor enough upper body to bash swords
      > with ye whippersnappers.

    • Tom Hickey
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
        Hmmm.  Food for thought!  Thank you!

        Depends on what you like doing, the good thing about the SCA is you can do
        pretty much any aspect you
        wish.

        Lord Cu Allaidh
        Who's laptop died and thus lacks his usual rambling sig

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
          I make stuff.  This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.  I could teach people to play it.
          Archery sounds good!
          Thank you!

          I would recommend archery or thrown weapons as martial activities.

          What do you like to do. SCA groups are always looking for cooks, and there
          are people who can teach you most arts and sciences.

          I am a service-track guy, so I tend to favor the "carrying things and making
          things go" approach.

          The SCA is a volunteer organization and runs on people like that.

          On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Tom <thickeymd@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > What are some good personas for a more-than-middle-aged guy? I don't have
          > enough facial hair to pass as Gandolf, nor enough upper body to bash swords
          > with ye whippersnappers.

        • cjburke_99
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
            Your persona can be whatever you want - you don't have to match the stereotypical physical attributes of the people of a given time and/or place to model your persona upon that. Take your time, find a time and place that suits you, and go from there.

            As for "bashing swords with young whippersnappers" goes, if you are interested in combat, consider fencing. As one who started this on the upper end of middle-age myself, I've had a lot of fun with a rapier in my hand, and I intend to continue doing so.

            There's no shortage of activities to try out - music (voice, instrumental, composition), wood craft, cooking, metal working, dancing, acting, historical research, sewing, weaving, scrbal arts, heraldy, brewing - and those are just some of the ones I've sampled over the past 2 years.

            The key thing is, don't wait for activities to come to you. Seek them out.

            Yours in Service,
            Dragos Pelikanos
            "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

            > What are some good personas for a more-than-middle-aged guy? I don't have enough facial hair to pass as Gandolf, nor enough upper body to bash swords with ye whippersnappers.

          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
              On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 11:47 -0400, Bill Toscano wrote:
              > I am a service-track guy, so I tend to favor the "carrying things and
              > making things go" approach.

              That's what I do, too, at age 48. Volunteer to serve feast, work at
              Troll (entry gate), set up chairs and tables, serve as a Herald at
              court, or wash dishes, and you have undying gratitude from others, and
              -- if you do it right -- a lot of fun along the way. Many hands make
              light work! I do a lot of what we call "Department of Public Works",
              which is to say, I lead the team that handles site logistics for our
              events. And I do dishes. I've been a Seneschal (effectively, chapter
              president), and I'm part of the first aid team at quite a few events.
              I'm not naturally athletic, so I'll never be a champion fighter,
              although I do occasionally fight. None of the administrative jobs I do
              require physical strength, and in fact, your age often brings a patience
              and wisdom that will serve you well in administrative roles.

              To me, what you do as a volunteer is (usually) separate from your
              persona choice. I'm a traveling tinker from Constantinople, who made his
              fortune as a sewer contractor (during my time period, the wealthy in
              Constantinople had indoor toilets!). I retired young and decided to
              travel to western Europe with my bride, to see the things my
              dearly-departed father saw in his travels. My persona is rich -- hey,
              it's my imaginary life, might as well be rich! -- and actually has a
              title of nobility from one of the Emperor's assistant deputy flunkies
              for fixing the palace sewers. But while traveling, I pass as a simple
              tinker to avoid attracting robbers. My point, though, is that you can do
              whatever volunteer things you want to do, regardless of whether they fit
              your persona. So don't worry too much about making them match up.

              You can contribute a lot, and have fun, in the non-martial arts. Perhaps
              you are a skilled musician or singer, or you can learn calligraphy and
              illumination, or bookbinding, or brewing, or making stained glass, or
              woodcarving, or silversmithing, or....well, you get the idea. :-)
              Remember, the Norse were fierce warriors, but they also needed cooks and
              blacksmiths and jewelers. As in real medieval life, combat is only one
              part of the SCA.

              Your persona doesn't have to reflect what you are physically able to do
              *now* in the SCA. Perhaps you are a *former* carpenter, and you have
              passed the business to your sons. Perhaps you always aspired to
              knighthood but never attracted the King's attention, so you instead make
              your (imaginary) living by fletching arrows for the King's troops. And
              so on....it's limited only by your imagination, and, as others have
              suggested, what you'd like to do in the SCA.

              Welcome!

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • D'vorah bint al-Attar
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                Query re: Role/persona for a middle-aged guy with light facial hair and upper body strength.

                ACTIVITIES:

                Martial: Rapier, archery, thrown weapons, weapon making.
                Physical, non-martial: Dancing.
                Service: Cooking, carrying, helping others with their camp/tent setup, learning to sign and signing Court for the hard of hearing/deaf.
                Arts & Sciences: Unlimited. Learn about a new art/science every month until you find one or two that really fascinate you, and focus there. Then keep learning about more things, in case something else catches your fancy.

                PERSONAE:

                Lower-order monk or friar, or itinerant preacher (non-ordained clergy)
                Farmer (vegetable crops or livestock)
                Mason (you won't have to actually construct stone buildings at events, I promise)
                Beggar (no need to spend a lot on garb or accoutrements)
                Herald (requires little physical strength, just a good voice or a knack with research)
                Idle rich (will require more expenditures for garb and encampment accoutrements)
                Seneschal/chatelain (of a noble's household, not of an SCA kingdom/barony/shire -- basically, you'd run the household/fiefdom, rather than having a decided role in SCA affairs, unless you want to volunteer at that level, too)
                Shepherd
                Traveling merchant or trader (happens a LOT in the SCA, but hey, at least you've got good company)
                Writer of romances (I mean, Edifying Morality Tales… yes, they had these)
                Cook, brewer, vintner
                Armorer (if this interests you, perhaps learn at least a little blacksmithing)
                Fisher, hunter
                Purveyor of relics and/or curiosities
                Smith (silver/gold, or iron/'black')
                Farrier/horseman
                Fletcher (would help if you also learned some archery)
                Weaver, sewer, clothier, dyer (learn something about fiber arts)
                Perfumier, spice blender/merchant
                Mercenary (learn some type of martial activity)
                Houndsman (learn about period species of dogs used for hunting, racing, or home protection)
                Leatherworker (shoes, clothing, armor, miscellaneous useful objects)
                Animal husbandry (learn about period species of livestock and such)
                Chandler

                Also, look into various areas of the world (and time periods) and find one whose philosophies, culture, language, or garb interest you the most. Place your persona there, and then figure out what your persona does for a living. Think about what your persona does when NOT attending these big group fairs/events that are, essentially, not a way of life but a deviation from regular life.

                On 17 Oct 2011, at 11:34 AM, Tom Hickey wrote:

                > I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished. I could teach people to play it.
                > Archery sounds good!
                > Thank you!

                D'vorah bint al-Attar
                dvorah@...
                Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
              • Tom Hickey
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                  Thank you for a very thoughtful, thorough reply!
                  - Tom

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                    Thanks a lot, Justin. Just the kind of insights and perspective I was looking for!
                    - Tom

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                      Wow!  That is a big help!  Very cool possibilities.
                      How do I get more involved?
                      We live in SW New Mexico.  There's a little brief Ren Faire in Las Cruces 2 hours away, and a big two-month long one in Tucson 3 1/2 hours away.  Is that the main type of event SCA attends, or are there other pure SCA events/gatherings in the SW?
                      - Tom

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                        This places you in the Kingdom of the Outlands. There is a map of the Kingdom, showing the Baronies and Shires within the Outlands, at http://www.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=442

                        I don't know about other areas, but up here in Aethelmarc (upstate New York, parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia) the SCA and the Renn Faires are seperate. My own view is, the Renn Faire folks are professionals, getting paid for it, while we in the SCA do it for the love of the activity. Not to say the Faires are bad, quit ethe contrary, I love them. But there's a difference between preparing for scheduled performances in a role (even if it's largely improvisational) and living your life in the modern Middle Ages.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                          Pretty cool,  So do you live in the Middle Ages?  I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it looks.
                          - Tom

                          ________________________________
                          I don't know about other areas, but up here in Aethelmarc (upstate New York, parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia) the SCA and the Renn Faires are seperate. My own view is, the Renn Faire folks are professionals, getting paid for it, while we in the SCA do it for the love of the activity. Not to say the Faires are bad, quit ethe contrary, I love them. But there's a difference between preparing for scheduled performances in a role (even if it's largely improvisational) and living your life in the modern Middle Ages.

                          Yours in Service,
                          Dragos Pelikanos
                          "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hickey <thickeymd@...> wrote:

                          > Wow!  That is a big help!  Very cool possibilities.
                          > How do I get more involved?
                          > We live in SW New Mexico.  There's a little brief Ren Faire in Las Cruces 2 hours away, and a big two-month long one in Tucson 3 1/2 hours away.  Is that the main type of event SCA attends, or are there other pure SCA events/gatherings in the SW?
                          > - Tom

                        • Chuck Burke
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                            In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but trying
                            to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
                            interpretation of it, at least.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                              A worthy goal, Sir.

                              In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but trying
                              to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
                              interpretation of it, at least.

                              Yours in Service,
                              Dragos Pelikanos
                              "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"

                              On 10/17/2011 8:48 PM, Tom Hickey wrote:
                              > Pretty cool, So do you live in the Middle Ages? I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it looks.
                              > - Tom
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                                Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
                                the right people.

                                Cailin
                                On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > A worthy goal, Sir.

                              • Tom Hickey
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                                  We're in Silver City!  Thanks for any guidance.
                                  - Tom

                                  Where at in new mexico? I'm from el paso and I can get you in contact with
                                  the right people.

                                  Cailin
                                  On Oct 18, 2011 12:39 AM, "Tom Hickey" <thickeymd@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > A worthy goal, Sir.

                                • Stefan li Rous
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                                    Tom asked some questions as a newcomer.

                                    Tom since I get this list in digest form, I'm seeing all your
                                    questions and the answers in one batch, so here are my replies:
                                    <<< I make stuff. This is a Nine Men's Morris board I just finished.
                                    I could teach people to play it.
                                    Archery sounds good!>>>

                                    I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium, at www.florilegium.org

                                    You might want to look at the ARCHERY section there. We shoot both
                                    longbows and crossbows at various targets in various types of shoots.
                                    No compound bows with all the pulleys and mechanical additions, though.

                                    Also archery is allowed in many armored combat scenerios, with special
                                    "safe" arrows and bow wieght limits on the bows. Again, bow and
                                    crossbow. See the ARCHERY section.

                                    Like big toys? See this file in the COMBAT section:siege-engines-msg
                                    (98K) 1/10/08 Catapults, trebuchets. Period and modern.

                                    From the ENYRRTAINMENT section:
                                    games-msg (113K) 7/18/04 Medieval board games and sports.

                                    In the CRAFTS section since you mention making stuff:
                                    wood-msg (62K) 2/ 8/08 Different types of wood, period terms.
                                    merch-woods-msg (5K) 5/25/02 Sources for period and exotic woods.
                                    wood-bending-msg (20K) 1/ 6/11 Period and modern methods for
                                    bending wood.
                                    wood-finishes-msg (98K) 2/13/08 Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.

                                    woodworking-msg (50K) 4/24/05 Woodworking tools and techniques. wood
                                    finishes.
                                    chip-carving-msg (5K) 11/29/99 Comments on chip carving, (wood
                                    carving).

                                    <<< I have tried to carve my own spoon and it's not as easy as it
                                    looks.>>>
                                    wood-utensils-msg (18K) 3/29/08 Making and finishing wooden
                                    utensils, mugs.
                                    Working-Horn-art (62K) 7/19/08 "Working with Horn and Skeletal
                                    Materials" by Lord Mikal Isernfocar (called Ironhawk).
                                    Horn-Spoons-art (9K) 1/ 5/00 "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
                                    Gunnora
                                    Hallakarva.
                                    Horn-Working-art (18K) 5/21/08 "Method for period horn work" by Kirk
                                    Morrison.

                                    Dragos Pelikanos replied to Tom saying:
                                    <<< In the modern Middle Ages, yes. Living in the modern world, but
                                    trying
                                    to maintain a sense of honor for myself and others. That's my
                                    interpretation of it, at least.>>>

                                    See the PERSONA section and perhaps the following sections and files.
                                    In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
                                    magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the
                                    SCA.
                                    SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different
                                    people.

                                    I hope this gives you an idea of some of things you can do in the SCA,

                                    Stefan
                                    --------
                                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                                  • Tom Hickey
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 18, 2011
                                      Thanks Stefan!  I will check out those links.  I have a simple crossbow (no pulleys etc.)
                                      - Tom

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 19, 2011
                                        Tom, here's the meetup page, and currently the best source of information
                                        for SCA goings on in the region surrounding el paso and las cruces.

                                        http://www.meetup.com/scaelpaso

                                        Please do come out to the Las Cruces Ren Faire and hang out! Information is
                                        on the meetup page.

                                        Cailin