Re: [SCA Newcomers] re: Vender info

  • Maris
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
      Hi Aine,

      I have thrown with these axes and they are my favorites. They are quite
      nice and I would purchase some for myself were I looking to buy right now.
      They are lighter but still throw nicely. Ragnar (of Ragweed Forge) has good
      axes in my opinion. Several people in my barony enjoy his axes and some of
      my friends bought axes from him at Pennsic in 2010. I don't know if he was
      there in 2011. If you are newer to throwing, I respectfully suggest that
      you also purchase a few extra handles. Even the best made handle will be
      evaluated as unsafe by the marshall if it is split by the blade of another
      axe.

      Have fun throwing the sharp and pointy things!

      stefanlirous@...
      >> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Aine Oliphant asked:
      >> <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
      >> which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
      >> Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
      >> anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
      >> to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
      >> the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
      >> brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
      >> the Barony of Carolingia. >>>
      >>
      >> I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
      >> has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
      >> question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
      >> for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.
      >>
      >> Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
      >> some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
      >> Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
      >> a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
      >> plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
      >> venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.
      >>
      >> If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
      >> might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
      >> only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
      >> one.
      >>
      >> Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
      >> drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
      >> central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
      >>
      >> There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
      >> might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
      >> in them.
      >> axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
      >> http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
      >>
      >> knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
      >> http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
      >>
      >> Stefan
      >> --------
      >> THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra
      >> Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@...
      >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      >> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****

    • ann baltrush
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
        Hi Elizabeth,
        Thank you for the info.  I have purchased 2 axes and 4 handles from him.  I like buying from merchants that are active members of the SCA.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
          You are quite welcome. Happy throwing of the sharp and pointy things!

        • Se'arl'ait the Seamstress
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
            You are going to need more than 4 handles, I throw axes and have gone through several practiceing. Untill you get better you will go through a bunch of handles.