Re: [SCA Newcomers] re: Vender info

  • charlene weldon
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
      I have bought axes from him and will continue to buy from him. I have viking style axes so if you would like to see them you are welcome to visit me.
          Se'arl'ait the Sempstress

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
        Hi Aine,

        I have thrown with these axes and they are my favorites. They are quite
        nice and I would purchase some for myself were I looking to buy right now.
        They are lighter but still throw nicely. Ragnar (of Ragweed Forge) has good
        axes in my opinion. Several people in my barony enjoy his axes and some of
        my friends bought axes from him at Pennsic in 2010. I don't know if he was
        there in 2011. If you are newer to throwing, I respectfully suggest that
        you also purchase a few extra handles. Even the best made handle will be
        evaluated as unsafe by the marshall if it is split by the blade of another
        axe.

        Have fun throwing the sharp and pointy things!

      • ann baltrush
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
          I have posted to other sites and everyone that answered my request spoke well of this vender.  He is a member of the SCA and I was told he has a lot of knowledge and is helpful.  Aine Oliphant

[...]

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
            On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 04:24 +0000, ann wrote:
            > I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
            > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
            > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
            > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
            > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
            > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
            > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
            > the Barony of Carolingia. Aine Oliphant

            Good morning!

            I can't comment on the specific vendor you mention, as I have not done
            business with them, but I would like to suggest two other sources of
            information.

            I happen to also be the publisher of SCAtoday.net, an SCA-related (but
            completely unofficial) news blog. We have a merchant listing online. We
            don't specifically endorse nor recommend any merchant, but simply offer
            their contact info impartially, as a public service:

            http://www.scatoday.net/merchants

            The other place you could go is an email list called "commercial", which
            is where we invite merchants to post offers and information. It's an
            opt-in email list -- that is, YOU have to choose to subscribe yourself
            because you WANT commercial stuff from SCA merchants -- but we "filter"
            the merchants we allow on the list, so you'll receive offers only from
            SCA-related merchants and not from general consumer ads. It's actually
            very, very low traffic -- in fact, I wish we could get the merchants to
            post more often. The list is at:

            Perhaps someone else on *this* list has had experience with the specific
            vendor you have in mind, and can comment on their quality and service.

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • ann baltrush
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
              Hi Elizabeth,
              Thank you for the info.  I have purchased 2 axes and 4 handles from him.  I like buying from merchants that are active members of the SCA.

> [...]

              >> only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
              >> one.
              >>
              >> Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
              >> drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
              >> central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
              >>
              >> There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
              >> might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
              >> in them.
              >> axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
              >> http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
              >>
              >> knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
              >> http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
              >>
              >> Stefan
              >> --------
              >> THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra

            • Maris
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                You are quite welcome. Happy throwing of the sharp and pointy things!

              • Se'arl'ait the Seamstress
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                  You are going to need more than 4 handles, I throw axes and have gone through several practiceing. Untill you get better you will go through a bunch of handles.