re: Vender info

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
      Aine Oliphant asked:
      <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
      which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
      Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
      anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
      to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
      the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
      brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
      the Barony of Carolingia. >>>

      I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
      has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
      question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
      for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.

      Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
      some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
      Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
      a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
      plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
      venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.

      If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
      might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
      only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
      one.

      Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
      drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
      central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)

      There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
      might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
      in them.
      axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html

      knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Bill Toscano
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
        Aine: See if someone can point you to either Pandulf or Brokk.

        They are the thrown weapons folks I know best in Carolingian and will know.

        Liam

        On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
        > wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Aine Oliphant asked:
        > <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
        > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
        > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
        > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
        > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
        > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
        > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
        > the Barony of Carolingia. >>>
        >
        > I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
        > has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
        > question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
        > for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.
        >
        > Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
        > some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
        > Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
        > a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
        > plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
        > venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.
        >
        > If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
        > might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
        > only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
        > one.
        >
        > Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
        > drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
        > central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
        >
        > There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
        > might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
        > in them.
        > axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
        >
        > knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
        > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
        >
        > Stefan
        > --------

      • charlene weldon
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
          I have bought axes from him and will continue to buy from him. I have viking style axes so if you would like to see them you are welcome to visit me.
              Se'arl'ait the Sempstress

          Aine: See if someone can point you to either Pandulf or Brokk.

          They are the thrown weapons folks I know best in Carolingian and will know.

          Liam

          On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
          > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Aine Oliphant asked:
          > <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
          > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
          > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
          > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
          > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
          > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
          > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
          > the Barony of Carolingia. >>>
          >
          > I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
          > has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
          > question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
          > for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.
          >
          > Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
          > some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
          > Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
          > a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
          > plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
          > venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.
          >
          > If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
          > might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
          > only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
          > one.
          >
          > Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
          > drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
          > central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
          >
          > There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
          > might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
          > in them.
          > axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
          >
          > knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
          >
          > Stefan
          > --------

        • Maris
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
            Hi Aine,

            I have thrown with these axes and they are my favorites. They are quite
            nice and I would purchase some for myself were I looking to buy right now.
            They are lighter but still throw nicely. Ragnar (of Ragweed Forge) has good
            axes in my opinion. Several people in my barony enjoy his axes and some of
            my friends bought axes from him at Pennsic in 2010. I don't know if he was
            there in 2011. If you are newer to throwing, I respectfully suggest that
            you also purchase a few extra handles. Even the best made handle will be
            evaluated as unsafe by the marshall if it is split by the blade of another
            axe.

            Have fun throwing the sharp and pointy things!

          • ann baltrush
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
              I have posted to other sites and everyone that answered my request spoke well of this vender.  He is a member of the SCA and I was told he has a lot of knowledge and is helpful.  Aine Oliphant

[...]

            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
                On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 04:24 +0000, ann wrote:
                > I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
                > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
                > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
                > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
                > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
                > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
                > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
                > the Barony of Carolingia. Aine Oliphant

                Good morning!

                I can't comment on the specific vendor you mention, as I have not done
                business with them, but I would like to suggest two other sources of
                information.

                I happen to also be the publisher of SCAtoday.net, an SCA-related (but
                completely unofficial) news blog. We have a merchant listing online. We
                don't specifically endorse nor recommend any merchant, but simply offer
                their contact info impartially, as a public service:

                http://www.scatoday.net/merchants

                The other place you could go is an email list called "commercial", which
                is where we invite merchants to post offers and information. It's an
                opt-in email list -- that is, YOU have to choose to subscribe yourself
                because you WANT commercial stuff from SCA merchants -- but we "filter"
                the merchants we allow on the list, so you'll receive offers only from
                SCA-related merchants and not from general consumer ads. It's actually
                very, very low traffic -- in fact, I wish we could get the merchants to
                post more often. The list is at:

                Perhaps someone else on *this* list has had experience with the specific
                vendor you have in mind, and can comment on their quality and service.

                Kind regards,

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • ann baltrush
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                  Hi Elizabeth,
                  Thank you for the info.  I have purchased 2 axes and 4 handles from him.  I like buying from merchants that are active members of the SCA.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                    You are quite welcome. Happy throwing of the sharp and pointy things!

                  • Se'arl'ait the Seamstress
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                      You are going to need more than 4 handles, I throw axes and have gone through several practiceing. Untill you get better you will go through a bunch of handles.