Vender info

  • ann
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
      I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK the Barony of Carolingia. Aine Oliphant
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
        Aine Oliphant asked:
        <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
        which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
        Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
        anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
        to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
        the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
        brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
        the Barony of Carolingia. >>>

        I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
        has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
        question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
        for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.

        Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
        some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
        Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
        a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
        plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
        venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.

        If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
        might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
        only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
        one.

        Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
        drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
        central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)

        There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
        might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
        in them.
        axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html

        knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
      • Bill Toscano
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
          Aine: See if someone can point you to either Pandulf or Brokk.

          They are the thrown weapons folks I know best in Carolingian and will know.

          Liam

          On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
          > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Aine Oliphant asked:
          > <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
          > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
          > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
          > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
          > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
          > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
          > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
          > the Barony of Carolingia. >>>
          >
          > I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
          > has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
          > question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
          > for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.
          >
          > Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
          > some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
          > Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
          > a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
          > plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
          > venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.
          >
          > If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
          > might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
          > only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
          > one.
          >
          > Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
          > drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
          > central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
          >
          > There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
          > might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
          > in them.
          > axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
          >
          > knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
          > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
          >
          > Stefan
          > --------

        • charlene weldon
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
            I have bought axes from him and will continue to buy from him. I have viking style axes so if you would like to see them you are welcome to visit me.
                Se'arl'ait the Sempstress

            Aine: See if someone can point you to either Pandulf or Brokk.

            They are the thrown weapons folks I know best in Carolingian and will know.

            Liam

            On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
            > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Aine Oliphant asked:
            > <<< I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
            > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
            > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
            > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
            > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
            > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
            > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
            > the Barony of Carolingia. >>>
            >
            > I don't recognize that particular vender, myself. Perhaps someone else
            > has some info. You are in the East Kingdom, so you might ask the same
            > question on the East Kingdom list. There may be a list specifically
            > for thrown weapons, but I don't know for sure.
            >
            > Do you know where Ragweed Forge is located? Often merchants will make
            > some of the bigger SCA events. The closer this vender is to the East
            > Kingdom, the more likely it would be that they would be showing up at
            > a major event there. You might email them and see which events they
            > plan to attend. Sometimes folks making an item will sell through other
            > venders, and those folks might show up at various kingdom events.
            >
            > If you are thinking of attending a big war event, such as Pennsic, you
            > might wish to wait until you attend that event. Unfortunately, Pennsic
            > only occurs once year in August, so it will be a while until the next
            > one.
            >
            > Pennsic is about an hour north of Pittsburg, so it isn't that long a
            > drive from Carolingia. At least compared to driving to Pennsic from
            > central Austeorra, which is a 27 hour drive. :-)
            >
            > There are these files in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium that
            > might be of interest to you, but I don't think I have any vender info
            > in them.
            > axes-msg (13K) 12/13/99 Viking axes, throwing axes.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/axes-msg.html
            >
            > knife-throwing-msg (22K) 5/11/00 Knife-throwing and throwing knives.
            > http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/knife-throwing-msg.html
            >
            > Stefan
            > --------

          • Maris
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
              Hi Aine,

              I have thrown with these axes and they are my favorites. They are quite
              nice and I would purchase some for myself were I looking to buy right now.
              They are lighter but still throw nicely. Ragnar (of Ragweed Forge) has good
              axes in my opinion. Several people in my barony enjoy his axes and some of
              my friends bought axes from him at Pennsic in 2010. I don't know if he was
              there in 2011. If you are newer to throwing, I respectfully suggest that
              you also purchase a few extra handles. Even the best made handle will be
              evaluated as unsafe by the marshall if it is split by the blade of another
              axe.

              Have fun throwing the sharp and pointy things!

            • ann baltrush
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
                I have posted to other sites and everyone that answered my request spoke well of this vender.  He is a member of the SCA and I was told he has a lot of knowledge and is helpful.  Aine Oliphant

[...]

              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
                  On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 04:24 +0000, ann wrote:
                  > I have not been in the SCA very long and I've tried throw weapons
                  > which I enjoyed. I am looking to buy a couple of throw axes from
                  > Ragweed Forge and would like any info on this vender. I never brought
                  > anything off the internet so I don't know much about venders (I like
                  > to see and touch what I am buying). I am looking to buy a couple of
                  > the French Lady Hawk axes and would like to hear from anyone who has
                  > brought them and could tell what they think of them. I am from the EK
                  > the Barony of Carolingia. Aine Oliphant

                  Good morning!

                  I can't comment on the specific vendor you mention, as I have not done
                  business with them, but I would like to suggest two other sources of
                  information.

                  I happen to also be the publisher of SCAtoday.net, an SCA-related (but
                  completely unofficial) news blog. We have a merchant listing online. We
                  don't specifically endorse nor recommend any merchant, but simply offer
                  their contact info impartially, as a public service:

                  http://www.scatoday.net/merchants

                  The other place you could go is an email list called "commercial", which
                  is where we invite merchants to post offers and information. It's an
                  opt-in email list -- that is, YOU have to choose to subscribe yourself
                  because you WANT commercial stuff from SCA merchants -- but we "filter"
                  the merchants we allow on the list, so you'll receive offers only from
                  SCA-related merchants and not from general consumer ads. It's actually
                  very, very low traffic -- in fact, I wish we could get the merchants to
                  post more often. The list is at:

                  Perhaps someone else on *this* list has had experience with the specific
                  vendor you have in mind, and can comment on their quality and service.

                  Kind regards,

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • ann baltrush
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                    Hi Elizabeth,
                    Thank you for the info.  I have purchased 2 axes and 4 handles from him.  I like buying from merchants that are active members of the SCA.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                      You are quite welcome. Happy throwing of the sharp and pointy things!

                    • Se'arl'ait the Seamstress
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                        You are going to need more than 4 handles, I throw axes and have gone through several practiceing. Untill you get better you will go through a bunch of handles.