Stefan's Florilegium files for September

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the COMBAT section:
      boffer-weapns-msg Making and using boffer weapons in the SCA.
      caltrops-msg A medieval 4-pointed anti-personnel/anti-
      equine item. Lands with 1 point always up.
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      p-saddle-bags-msg Period saddle bags. The ways items were
      carried on horses.
      In the FOOD section:
      p-street-food-msg Period street food.
      In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
      apples-cinn-msg Period recipes which include both apples
      and cinnamon.
      In the FOOD-MEATS section:
      pickled-fish-msg Pickled fish. Either by storing in vinegar or
      by the action of lactic acid.
      In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
      Talow-Candles-art "Hand Dipped Tallow/Beeswax Candles"
      by Baroness Onora O'Toole.
      In the LIFE-STEPS section:
      Marriag-Sagas-art "The Marriages of Guðrún and Hallgerðr" by
      Baron Fridrikr Tomasson. Marriage in the
      Norse Sagas.
      In the NORSE section:
      Zombies-Iclnd-art "inn draugir: The Zombie in Old Icelandic
      Sagas" by Baron Fridrikr Tomasson.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      belts-msg Medieval and SCA belts and baldrics.
      camelne-sauce-msg Sauces w. cinnamon as a major component.
      cotton-msg Period cotton use.
      instruments-msg Musical instruments.
      London-msg Medieval points of interest in and around
      London.
      mustard-msg Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
      placenames3-msg Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3
      spits-msg Period and SCA spits for roasting meats.
      stockfish-msg Period preserved fish.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris