re: Newcomer, with major curiousity

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
      Dane asked:
      <<< Hey there, I actually stumbled onto the SCA, and have a friend in
      Oregon who is heavy into it, but she isn't in my area. So she first
      directed me to the site for my local Barony, the Barony of Glymm Mere.

      I looked through all the information on their site, and emailed their
      Chatelaine, 3 times. Over the course of 2 weeks and never received an
      answer. So my friend pointed me here, hopefully I get some more info.

      I have a strong interest in the heavy fighting and the archery. Along
      with a strong desire to learn Armorsmithing. Any information would be
      greatly appreciated. >>>

      Welcome to the SCA!

      Okay, I hadn't heard of the Barony of Glymm Mere until now, but they
      do seem to have a fairly good web page and I see that you are
      Washington state. That is actually much closer to Oregon than most
      people on this list are likely to be. We have people from across the
      "Known World", which is those areas that the SCA has active chapters
      in. It includes the United Stated and Canada as well as Europe and
      Australia and New Zealand. So it covers quite a large area. However,
      please feel free to ask any questions and we will try to help you with
      answers.

      As others have mentioned, the last two weeks were at the same time as
      one of the biggest events in the SCA, called the Pennsic War, an hour
      north of Pittsburg. This event is usually attended by 10 to 13
      thousand people. Since you are interested in heavy fighting (armored
      combat) and archery, you will probably want to consider attending
      Pennsic at some time in the future if you can.

      I would try that email again. The SCA, being a volunteer organization,
      also has times when various individuals get side-tracked by "real
      life". You might also try to reach some of the other officers listed
      on that web page. That webpage looks to be well kept up, but sometimes
      the contact info on some sites gets out-of-date.

      I run a fairly large SCA and medieval-oriented website, called
      "Stefan's Florilegium", which you might be interested in exploring.
      You can find the address in my signature line below. There is a
      section there on PENNSIC as well as sections on COMBAT and ARCHERY.

      However, first off, I would recommend the NEWCOMERS section.

      I'm not sure what kind of archery you are most interested in, but we
      do both target archery against various targets and combat archery,
      with specially built arrows and a bow pull limit of roughly 30 pounds,
      against other armored combatants.

      Some people make some of their armor out of metal and other parts out
      of leather or other materials. So I'm not quite sure which skills you
      wish to exercise in "Armorsmithing", but again, you might wish to look
      at some of the files in the COMBAT section for some info on armor
      making. There is more extensive information on this on various other
      websites and mail lists.

      I hope this helps.
      Stefan
      --------