Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer, with major curiousity

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21 4:06 PM
      I would go ahead and send another note to the chatelaine, one to the
      seneschal and one to the heavy weapons marshal and see what happens.

      Liam

      On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Dane H. <icyy_one@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hey there, I actually stumbled onto the SCA, and have a friend in Oregon
      > who is heavy into it, but she isn't in my area. So she first directed me to
      > the site for my local Barony, the Barony of Glymm Mere.
      >
      > I looked through all the information on their site, and emailed their
      > Chatelaine, 3 times. Over the course of 2 weeks and never received an
      > answer. So my friend pointed me here, hopefully I get some more info.
      >
      > I have a strong interest in the heavy fighting and the archery. Along with
      > a strong desire to learn Armorsmithing. Any information would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Dane

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22 7:55 PM
        Dane asked:
        <<< Hey there, I actually stumbled onto the SCA, and have a friend in
        Oregon who is heavy into it, but she isn't in my area. So she first
        directed me to the site for my local Barony, the Barony of Glymm Mere.

        I looked through all the information on their site, and emailed their
        Chatelaine, 3 times. Over the course of 2 weeks and never received an
        answer. So my friend pointed me here, hopefully I get some more info.

        I have a strong interest in the heavy fighting and the archery. Along
        with a strong desire to learn Armorsmithing. Any information would be
        greatly appreciated. >>>

        Welcome to the SCA!

        Okay, I hadn't heard of the Barony of Glymm Mere until now, but they
        do seem to have a fairly good web page and I see that you are
        Washington state. That is actually much closer to Oregon than most
        people on this list are likely to be. We have people from across the
        "Known World", which is those areas that the SCA has active chapters
        in. It includes the United Stated and Canada as well as Europe and
        Australia and New Zealand. So it covers quite a large area. However,
        please feel free to ask any questions and we will try to help you with
        answers.

        As others have mentioned, the last two weeks were at the same time as
        one of the biggest events in the SCA, called the Pennsic War, an hour
        north of Pittsburg. This event is usually attended by 10 to 13
        thousand people. Since you are interested in heavy fighting (armored
        combat) and archery, you will probably want to consider attending
        Pennsic at some time in the future if you can.

        I would try that email again. The SCA, being a volunteer organization,
        also has times when various individuals get side-tracked by "real
        life". You might also try to reach some of the other officers listed
        on that web page. That webpage looks to be well kept up, but sometimes
        the contact info on some sites gets out-of-date.

        I run a fairly large SCA and medieval-oriented website, called
        "Stefan's Florilegium", which you might be interested in exploring.
        You can find the address in my signature line below. There is a
        section there on PENNSIC as well as sections on COMBAT and ARCHERY.

        However, first off, I would recommend the NEWCOMERS section.

        I'm not sure what kind of archery you are most interested in, but we
        do both target archery against various targets and combat archery,
        with specially built arrows and a bow pull limit of roughly 30 pounds,
        against other armored combatants.

        Some people make some of their armor out of metal and other parts out
        of leather or other materials. So I'm not quite sure which skills you
        wish to exercise in "Armorsmithing", but again, you might wish to look
        at some of the files in the COMBAT section for some info on armor
        making. There is more extensive information on this on various other
        websites and mail lists.

        I hope this helps.
        Stefan
        --------