Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi all, newcomer here with questions

  • niteraven38@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 14, 2011
      Hello. I'm Ravn of Clannah drakonis , constable of Beatwode shire in kingdom of the west. Leathe armor is allowed. But you are going to want metal or water hardened leather for your knees and elbows.

      From: Alison Choyce <greenfaere@...>
      Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:41:32
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi all, newcomer here with questions

      Greetings Philippe!

      I am Alison Wodehalle, Chatelaine for the Kingdom of the East, and I also
      live just outside Philadelphia/Bhakail.

      I suspect you first two questions are best sent to a heavy weapons marshal.
      I do see leather armor, but it would depend on the thickness amongst other
      factors. As to your last question, I am certain there are Middle Eastern
      groups in the area. There are people in Bhakail who are part of these
      communities.

      If you wish to email me privately, I would be happy to get you in touch with
      folks locally. If you are not sure if you located in Bhakail or one of the
      surrounding shires, I can place you with your zip code. Email me at
      chatelaine@... .

      Welcome Back!!
      ~Alison

      --
      ~Alison

    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
        Poor man as in where else can you get an entire set of armor minus the helmet for 250 bucks? Yeah I've got a set of his legs I hide under my pants. It's great for starter armor or for those needing to drop some weight. No offense to the poor intended Gavin, Sheesh you should know me better than that! LOL

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

        The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

        ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: gavin.kinkade@...
        Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:21:53 -0700

        Poor mans armour ??? Hmmm?

        By swapping out my leather and stainless steel Legs and Arms for Dark Victory Legs and Arms, I dropped 25lbs out of my kit. I was able to fight 3 inches above the ground after that LOL.

        Sure I have to cover it up, by wearing garb over the top of it, but for me it was a god-send. My knees and back were killing me after a week of war with my old kit.
        With these items, I was able to make it thru all of Gulf wars and even have energy left for a couple of rapier battles.

        Sure the stuff is cheap, sure you can't leave it uncovered, but in my opinion, it has its place. Its great loaner gear (one size fits most), its less maintenance and up keep than mild-steel kit(it wont rust), Its made from renewable sources, and my favorite part, is, it is great for fighters who want/NEED a lighter more mobile kit

        Lord Gavin Kyncade

        Marcaster Archery and Thrown weapons Ranger
        Squire to Sir Takamatsu
        Apprentice to Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind
        Cadet to Don Tomas Mac Coran
        gavin.kinkade@...
        727-320-5490

        From: armyfrenchy@...
        Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

        wow thanks Sebhdann, it'll take me days to sort through all that :)
        I appreciate your help.
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sebhdann <azurphnx@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved.htm
        > http://www.modaruniversity.org/Armour.htm
        > http://www.myarmoury.com/home.html
        >
        > I've also got two tours of Iraq under my belt so I know how nice all that
        > deployment pay can be. [?] If you're ready and willing to spend some of it on
        > armor, here are some vendor sites:
        >
        > http://www.steel-mastery.com/index.php?&model=news_list
        > http://www.blacktowerenterprise.com/
        > http://www.ringmesh.com/
        > http://www.knotwolf.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
        > http://www.whitemountainarmoury.com/index.php
        > http://www.ebonwoulfe.com/armory.htm
        > http://www.schmitthenner.com/
        > http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/
        > http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/index.php
        >
        > I have absolutely no link to any of the above nor do I have any knowledge to
        > their quality or service. They're all links I stumbled upon during various
        > searches or via other links. If you have good Google-fu, you can probably
        > pull up a half-dozen more armor vendors' websites.
        >
        > Again welcome, stay safe over in the Rockpile and have fun when you get
        > home!
        >
        > --
        > Sl�n!
        >
        > Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
        > Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
        > Clan Carn
        >
        > *mka Sue V.*
        >
        > Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
        > We'll win the war and pay the toll,
        > We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
        > --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander
        >

        > On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Gregory <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around 2000). I used
        > > to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-Abbud too.
        > > I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back from
        > > my deployment in Afghanistan. I have a few questions, maybe someone can
        > > answer them:
        > >
        > > 1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy weapons
        > > fighting?
        > >
        > > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
        > > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
        > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
        > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
        > > waste ha ha)
        > >
        > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
        > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
        > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
        > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
        > > shire to drum with.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
        > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

      • Gavin Kinkade

          From: armyfrenchy@...
          Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

> [...]
          > > fighting?
          > >
          > > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
          > > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
          > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
          > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
          > > waste ha ha)
          > >
          > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
          > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
          > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
          > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
          > > shire to drum with.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
          > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
            Gregory said:
            <<< Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around
            2000). I used to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-
            Abbud too.
            I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back
            from my deployment in Afghanistan. >>>

            Welcome back to the SCA! Just keep in mind that using RPGs on the
            tournament field is considered distinctly unchivalrous. :-)

            <<< I have a few questions, maybe someone can answer them:

            1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy
            weapons fighting? >>>

            Yes. But as was mentioned there are specific requirements on heavy it
            must be and what parts of your body must be armored. While you can use
            leather for various parts of your armor, there are certain parts,
            knees and elbows, I believe that must be armored in steel. Nothing
            keeps you from covering that bright shiny steel with leather or
            something else to make it look less modern. ie: less modern than the
            13th Century, if you are doing an earlier period or a more barbarian
            sort. Checking the armor standards of your kingdom is a good place to
            start.

            Leather armor can be made in sheets or in smaller pieces of hardened
            leather scale armor. Although there are more comprehensive sites on
            armor, you might wish to take a look at some of the files in the
            COMBAT section of my Florilegium files.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/idxcombat.html

            Such as:
            armor-leather-msg (48K) 2/ 8/08 Making leather armor.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armor-leather-msg.html

            <<< 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard
            if you soak it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will
            keep its shape? If so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an
            armorer and I do not have access to rattan (I will pay you...I am
            single so I have a LOT of money to waste ha ha) >>>

            I believe it is. I think there is a description of how to do this in
            this file. It also has some sources for buying rattan. Are you still
            overseas or are you back in Bakhail? Because of the shipping charges
            and logistics, it is often easier to make a group buy or buy from a
            local source. Since most folks are looking for the straightest rattan
            they can find, you might be able to get a good buy on a curved
            section. :-)
            rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

            <<< 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to
            Bakhail, but is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern
            dancers? I have been playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute
            for over 15 years now and I do gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer
            called Raja. So I'd like to find a shire to drum with. >>>

            Activities vary across the Known World and even in a single area over
            time, but there is a good chance that you may find some folks with
            similar interests in your local group.

            You might wish to check out some of the files in the Florilegium DANCE
            and the PERFORMANCE ARTS sections.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/DANCE/idxdance.html
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/idxperformance.html

            For instance:
            drums-msg (29K) 10/24/00 Medieval drums and percussion instruments.
            replacing drumheads.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/drums-msg.html

            There not big files, but I would also check the CULTURES, and the FOOD-
            BY-REGION for some info on medieval Persia.

            I hope this is of use.

            Stefan
            --------
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 19, 2011
              On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 21:51 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
              > Welcome back to the SCA! Just keep in mind that using RPGs on the
              > tournament field is considered distinctly unchivalrous. :-)

              Not if you wrap them in duct tape and hit people over the helm with
              them....

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/