Hi all, newcomer here with questions

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 13, 2011
      Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around 2000). I used to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-Abbud too.
      I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back from my deployment in Afghanistan. I have a few questions, maybe someone can answer them:

      1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy weapons fighting?

      2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to waste ha ha)

      3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a shire to drum with.

      Thanks
      Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).
    • Alison Choyce
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 14, 2011
        Greetings Philippe!

        I am Alison Wodehalle, Chatelaine for the Kingdom of the East, and I also
        live just outside Philadelphia/Bhakail.

        I suspect you first two questions are best sent to a heavy weapons marshal.
        I do see leather armor, but it would depend on the thickness amongst other
        factors. As to your last question, I am certain there are Middle Eastern
        groups in the area. There are people in Bhakail who are part of these
        communities.

        If you wish to email me privately, I would be happy to get you in touch with
        folks locally. If you are not sure if you located in Bhakail or one of the
        surrounding shires, I can place you with your zip code. Email me at
        chatelaine@... .

        Welcome Back!!
        ~Alison

        --
        ~Alison

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 14, 2011
          Hello. I'm Ravn of Clannah drakonis , constable of Beatwode shire in kingdom of the west. Leathe armor is allowed. But you are going to want metal or water hardened leather for your knees and elbows.

          From: Alison Choyce <greenfaere@...>
          Sender: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:41:32
          To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi all, newcomer here with questions

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 14, 2011
            I sent you a message through here because I couldn't see your email it says chatelaine@... then cuts off...but my email is armyfrenchy at yahoo

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Alison Choyce <greenfaere@...> wrote:

            > Greetings Philippe!
            >
            > I am Alison Wodehalle, Chatelaine for the Kingdom of the East, and I also
            > live just outside Philadelphia/Bhakail.
            >
            > I suspect you first two questions are best sent to a heavy weapons marshal.
            > I do see leather armor, but it would depend on the thickness amongst other
            > factors. As to your last question, I am certain there are Middle Eastern
            > groups in the area. There are people in Bhakail who are part of these
            > communities.
            >
            > If you wish to email me privately, I would be happy to get you in touch with
            > folks locally. If you are not sure if you located in Bhakail or one of the
            > surrounding shires, I can place you with your zip code. Email me at
            > chatelaine@... .
            >
            > Welcome Back!!
            > ~Alison
            >

            > On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Gregory <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around 2000). I used
            > > to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-Abbud too.
            > > I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back from
            > > my deployment in Afghanistan. I have a few questions, maybe someone can
            > > answer them:
            > >
            > > 1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy weapons
            > > fighting?
            > >
            > > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
            > > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
            > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
            > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
            > > waste ha ha)
            > >
            > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
            > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
            > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
            > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
            > > shire to drum with.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
            > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).
            > >

            > --
            > ~Alison

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
              Hello Philippe, and welcome to SCA Newcomers.

              I gather from Alison's reply that you are in the East Kingdom - that will be
              important for finding answers to your armour questions.
              The basic answer to your question about armour is available on line, but you
              should seek out local fighters to learn how the East Kingdom implements it's
              policies.
              To start with, you will need to know the Society rules regarding armour,
              which you can find on the Society website: http://www.sca.org/

              Since you have asked about rattan, not rapiers, I must assume you are asking
              about heavy fighting; the heavy fighters' marshals' handbook is a PDF you
              can download, and can be found in the 'Documents and Policies' link under
              'Society Officers' Policies'.
              Scroll down to Earl Marshal and the heavy fighter's HB is the one labelled
              'Marshal's Handbook'.
              The armour requirements start on page 10.
              Please keep in mind that this document is the overall Society rules - sort
              of like Federal law - your kingdom may have additional rules regarding heavy
              combat and the armour required to participate, but all fighters in all
              kingdoms must know these basic rules.

              I used the 'Find your local kingdom' search in 'Resources for newcomers' to
              find the East Kingdom website:
              http://www.eastkingdom.org/
              If you can't find answers any other way, the Kingdom Earl Marshal's email:
              Baron Sir Stephen Grandchamp,
              earl-marshal@...
              Clicking on the 'Earl Marshal' brought me to the earl marshal's armoured
              combat page with a link to the 'Policies of the Earl Marshal of the East
              Kingdom' downloadable PDF:
              http://marshal.eastkingdom.org/PoliciesoftheEarlMarshaloftheEastKingdom.pdf

              East Kingdom armour requirements appear to be Society basic, meaning there
              are no additional armour requiements, although you may wear more armour if
              you so desire.
              "Part V. Armor and Weapon Standards
              The Armor and Weapon Standards of the East Kingdom are those of the Society
              of Creative Anachronism. These
              standards may be found within the documents of the Earl Marshal of the
              Society and the Earl Marshal of the East
              Kingdom. This should not be construed as barring any fighter from wearing
              additional armor at their discretion. "

              I don't know anything about bending rattan; we were lucky enough to find a
              piece which had a natural curve, which my husband turned into a katana.

              I hope this information will help you get back into the SCA, and welcome
              back.

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

> [...]

              shape? If
              > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not
              have
              > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of
              money to
              > > waste ha ha)
              > >
              > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail,
              but
              > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I
              have been
              > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now
              and I do
              > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find
              > > shire to drum with.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
              > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

            • Gregory
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
                Thanks for all the info, Tabitha.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                > Hello Philippe, and welcome to SCA Newcomers.
                >
                > I gather from Alison's reply that you are in the East Kingdom - that will be
                > important for finding answers to your armour questions.
                > The basic answer to your question about armour is available on line, but you
                > should seek out local fighters to learn how the East Kingdom implements it's
                > policies.
                > To start with, you will need to know the Society rules regarding armour,
                > which you can find on the Society website: http://www.sca.org/
                >
                > Since you have asked about rattan, not rapiers, I must assume you are asking
                > about heavy fighting; the heavy fighters' marshals' handbook is a PDF you
                > can download, and can be found in the 'Documents and Policies' link under
                > 'Society Officers' Policies'.
                > Scroll down to Earl Marshal and the heavy fighter's HB is the one labelled
                > 'Marshal's Handbook'.
                > The armour requirements start on page 10.
                > Please keep in mind that this document is the overall Society rules - sort
                > of like Federal law - your kingdom may have additional rules regarding heavy
                > combat and the armour required to participate, but all fighters in all
                > kingdoms must know these basic rules.
                >
                > I used the 'Find your local kingdom' search in 'Resources for newcomers' to
                > find the East Kingdom website:
                > http://www.eastkingdom.org/
                > If you can't find answers any other way, the Kingdom Earl Marshal's email:
                > Baron Sir Stephen Grandchamp,
                > earl-marshal@...
                > Clicking on the 'Earl Marshal' brought me to the earl marshal's armoured
                > combat page with a link to the 'Policies of the Earl Marshal of the East
                > Kingdom' downloadable PDF:
                > http://marshal.eastkingdom.org/PoliciesoftheEarlMarshaloftheEastKingdom.pdf
                >
                > East Kingdom armour requirements appear to be Society basic, meaning there
                > are no additional armour requiements, although you may wear more armour if
                > you so desire.
                > "Part V. Armor and Weapon Standards
                > The Armor and Weapon Standards of the East Kingdom are those of the Society
                > of Creative Anachronism. These
                > standards may be found within the documents of the Earl Marshal of the
                > Society and the Earl Marshal of the East
                > Kingdom. This should not be construed as barring any fighter from wearing
                > additional armor at their discretion. "
                >
                > I don't know anything about bending rattan; we were lucky enough to find a
                > piece which had a natural curve, which my husband turned into a katana.
                >
                > I hope this information will help you get back into the SCA, and welcome
                > back.
                >
                > Tabitha Pennywarden
                > Ravenslake, Midlands
                > Middle Kingdom

              • Sebhdann
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
                  Gregory,

                  Welcome back to the SCA. I am a new-ish fighter (sidelined this year due to
                  injury), with plans to build during this winter a kit that is not made up
                  entirely of hand-me-downs and loaner armor. The below sites are ones I've
                  bookmarked -- be aware the Modar University link is actually accessed
                  through the Way-Back Machine. IMO, Armour Archive is the most
                  comprehensive, but it is a 'forum.' It's broken down by topic in a coherent
                  fashion, but one topic can have hundreds of replies, so set aside a good bit
                  of time when perusing the site.

                  http://www.armourarchive.org/
                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html
                  http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/Perfect_Armor_Improved.htm
                  http://www.modaruniversity.org/Armour.htm
                  http://www.myarmoury.com/home.html

                  I've also got two tours of Iraq under my belt so I know how nice all that
                  deployment pay can be. [?] If you're ready and willing to spend some of it on
                  armor, here are some vendor sites:

                  http://www.steel-mastery.com/index.php?&model=news_list
                  http://www.blacktowerenterprise.com/
                  http://www.ringmesh.com/
                  http://www.knotwolf.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
                  http://www.whitemountainarmoury.com/index.php
                  http://www.ebonwoulfe.com/armory.htm
                  http://www.schmitthenner.com/
                  http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/
                  http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/index.php

                  I have absolutely no link to any of the above nor do I have any knowledge to
                  their quality or service. They're all links I stumbled upon during various
                  searches or via other links. If you have good Google-fu, you can probably
                  pull up a half-dozen more armor vendors' websites.

                  Again welcome, stay safe over in the Rockpile and have fun when you get
                  home!

                  --
                  Slán!

                  Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir
                  Clan Carn

                  *mka Sue V.*

                  Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                  We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                  We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                  --'The March of Cambreadth'--Heather Alexander

                  On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Gregory <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around 2000). I used
                  > to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-Abbud too.
                  > I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back from
                  > my deployment in Afghanistan. I have a few questions, maybe someone can
                  > answer them:
                  >
                  > 1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy weapons
                  > fighting?
                  >
                  > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
                  > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
                  > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
                  > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
                  > waste ha ha)
                  >
                  > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
                  > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
                  > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
                  > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
                  > shire to drum with.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
                  > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

                • jjpjjp123
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                    Well, also the SCA.org website (http://sca.org/links/shopping.html) leads to these lists of merchants: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/merchants/ and http://www.scatoday.net/merchants

                    I'm sure they have armorers!
                    Kathryn von Kiehl

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                      Thank you Kathryn, I'll check those out as well!

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                        wow thanks Sebhdann, it'll take me days to sort through all that :)
                        I appreciate your help.

                      • christopher chastain
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                          Here is the poor man's armory

                          http://darkvictory.com/

                          Cheap but good and youll want to make some mod's so it doesnt look like plastic but it'll get you on the field fast and makes a good back up set later on down the road.

                          Yours in Humble Service,
                          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

                          The goal shouldnt be knighthood,laurel or pelican but an answer to the following question, am I better today than I was yesterday?

                          ()====[]::::::::::::::::::>

                          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                          From: armyfrenchy@...
                          Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                            Thanks Pomestnik.
                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, christopher chastain <ckchastain@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > fighting?
                            > > >
                            > > > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
                            > > > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
                            > > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
                            > > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
                            > > > waste ha ha)
                            > > >
                            > > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
                            > > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
                            > > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
                            > > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
                            > > > shire to drum with.
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks
                            > > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
                            > > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

                          • Gavin Kinkade
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                              Poor mans armour ??? Hmmm?

                              By swapping out my leather and stainless steel Legs and Arms for Dark Victory Legs and Arms, I dropped 25lbs out of my kit. I was able to fight 3 inches above the ground after that LOL.

                              Sure I have to cover it up, by wearing garb over the top of it, but for me it was a god-send. My knees and back were killing me after a week of war with my old kit.
                              With these items, I was able to make it thru all of Gulf wars and even have energy left for a couple of rapier battles.

                              Sure the stuff is cheap, sure you can't leave it uncovered, but in my opinion, it has its place. Its great loaner gear (one size fits most), its less maintenance and up keep than mild-steel kit(it wont rust), Its made from renewable sources, and my favorite part, is, it is great for fighters who want/NEED a lighter more mobile kit

                              Lord Gavin Kyncade

                              Marcaster Archery and Thrown weapons Ranger
                              Squire to Sir Takamatsu
                              Apprentice to Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind
                              Cadet to Don Tomas Mac Coran
                              gavin.kinkade@...
                              727-320-5490

                              From: armyfrenchy@...
                              Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

                                From: armyfrenchy@...
                                Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

                                  From: armyfrenchy@...
                                  Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:57:58 +0000

> [...]
                                  > > fighting?
                                  > >
                                  > > 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard if you soak
                                  > > it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will keep its shape? If
                                  > > so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an armorer and I do not have
                                  > > access to rattan (I will pay you...I am single so I have a LOT of money to
                                  > > waste ha ha)
                                  > >
                                  > > 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to Bakhail, but
                                  > > is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern dancers? I have been
                                  > > playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute for over 15 years now and I do
                                  > > gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer called Raja. So I'd like to find a
                                  > > shire to drum with.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > > Gregory (haven't come up with a new name yet but I will be a Persian
                                  > > warrior/musician, maybe 13th to 15th century).

                                • Stefan li Rous
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                                    Gregory said:
                                    <<< Hi everyone I used to be in the SCA a long time ago (around
                                    2000). I used to be known as Phiippe Gaston and sometimes Khalid ibn-
                                    Abbud too.
                                    I am thinking of "re-enlisting" after a long time away when I get back
                                    from my deployment in Afghanistan. >>>

                                    Welcome back to the SCA! Just keep in mind that using RPGs on the
                                    tournament field is considered distinctly unchivalrous. :-)

                                    <<< I have a few questions, maybe someone can answer them:

                                    1. Is leather armor (the one you see on ebay) allowed for heavy
                                    weapons fighting? >>>

                                    Yes. But as was mentioned there are specific requirements on heavy it
                                    must be and what parts of your body must be armored. While you can use
                                    leather for various parts of your armor, there are certain parts,
                                    knees and elbows, I believe that must be armored in steel. Nothing
                                    keeps you from covering that bright shiny steel with leather or
                                    something else to make it look less modern. ie: less modern than the
                                    13th Century, if you are doing an earlier period or a more barbarian
                                    sort. Checking the armor standards of your kingdom is a good place to
                                    start.

                                    Leather armor can be made in sheets or in smaller pieces of hardened
                                    leather scale armor. Although there are more comprehensive sites on
                                    armor, you might wish to take a look at some of the files in the
                                    COMBAT section of my Florilegium files.
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/idxcombat.html

                                    Such as:
                                    armor-leather-msg (48K) 2/ 8/08 Making leather armor.
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/armor-leather-msg.html

                                    <<< 2. is it possible to make a curved sword out of rattan? I heard
                                    if you soak it overnight and then clamp it to a curved object it will
                                    keep its shape? If so, can anyone make me one, since I am not an
                                    armorer and I do not have access to rattan (I will pay you...I am
                                    single so I have a LOT of money to waste ha ha) >>>

                                    I believe it is. I think there is a description of how to do this in
                                    this file. It also has some sources for buying rattan. Are you still
                                    overseas or are you back in Bakhail? Because of the shipping charges
                                    and logistics, it is often easier to make a group buy or buy from a
                                    local source. Since most folks are looking for the straightest rattan
                                    they can find, you might be able to get a good buy on a curved
                                    section. :-)
                                    rattan-msg (56K) 1/27/08 Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/rattan-msg.html

                                    <<< 3. Since I live near Philadelphia I guess I will be going to
                                    Bakhail, but is there any shire near Bakhail that has Middle Eastern
                                    dancers? I have been playing doumbek drum, zurna, and Indian flute
                                    for over 15 years now and I do gigs in New Jersey for a bellydancer
                                    called Raja. So I'd like to find a shire to drum with. >>>

                                    Activities vary across the Known World and even in a single area over
                                    time, but there is a good chance that you may find some folks with
                                    similar interests in your local group.

                                    You might wish to check out some of the files in the Florilegium DANCE
                                    and the PERFORMANCE ARTS sections.
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/DANCE/idxdance.html
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/idxperformance.html

                                    For instance:
                                    drums-msg (29K) 10/24/00 Medieval drums and percussion instruments.
                                    replacing drumheads.
                                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/drums-msg.html

                                    There not big files, but I would also check the CULTURES, and the FOOD-
                                    BY-REGION for some info on medieval Persia.

                                    I hope this is of use.

                                    Stefan
                                    --------
                                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
                                  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 19, 2011
                                      On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 21:51 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
                                      > Welcome back to the SCA! Just keep in mind that using RPGs on the
                                      > tournament field is considered distinctly unchivalrous. :-)

                                      Not if you wrap them in duct tape and hit people over the helm with
                                      them....

                                      fesswise reversed sable.

                                      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/