Stefan's Florilegium article for August

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2011
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched something in our period or you practice a little known art
      or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others
      to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers
      written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such
      an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the
      Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word
      format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please
      consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this
      help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers
      find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus
      might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in
      research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CLOTHING section:
      clthg-storage-msg Storing SCA clothing at home and at events.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      CPAP-a-Pensic-art "CPAP at Pennsic" by Master Philip the Pilgrim
      In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
      Masques-Masks-art "Masques and Masks" by Mistress Katherine Kerr.
      In the SCRIBAL ARTS section:
      Old-Icelandic-art "The Old-Icelandic Manuscripts: An Overview"
      by Baron Fridrikr Tomasson.
      In the SCA-CAMPING section:
      hot-weath-cmp-msg Tips for camping at SCA events in hot weather.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      Evng-n-Paradse-art "An Evening in Paradise" by Master Rhodri.
      Lochac-Chrnls-art "The Lochac Chronicles" by Baron Hrölf
      Herjölfssen, OP.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      bowstrings-msg Medieval bowstrings. Making bowstrings.
      candied-fruit-msg Period candied fruit. Recipes.
      chd-actvites-msg Children's activities for SCA events.
      gravy-msg Period gravy. Renaissance, not medieval.
      lamb-mutton-msg Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
      New-2-Pennsic-msg Information for those new to Pennsic.
      sandalwood-msg Period Sandalwood, also known as Saunders.
      SCA-by-train-msg Traveling to SCA events by train.
      SCA-Grp-Types-msg Types of official local SCA groups. Shires,
      Baronies, Palatine Baronies, Colleges,
      Ships, Cantons, dominions etc.
      shade-pavilns-msg Shade pavilions for tourney field and camp.
      veg-stuffed-msg Period stuffed vegetable recipes.
      ---
      Copyright 2011, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2012
[...]

        I am adding the direct links to the new files mentioned this month. Please let me know if you find this useful.

        When this article could be published in paper form in SCA newsletters, I didn't think the printed links would be useful there, so didn't add these. However, I'm now being told that this article may no longer be published in SCA newsletters, as the Florilegium site is considered a "commercial" site since I use ad revenue to pay the costs of hosting the site.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        -------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the FOOD-BREADS section:
        Funnel-Cakes-art "Yes, Funnel Cakes are Period!!!"
        by HL Alianora de Olmondiers.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Funnel-Cakes-art.html
        In the NEWCOMERS section:
        SCA-Awards-art "AoA’s, Barons, and Laurels:
Who’s who in the
        SCA
" by Lady Alison Wodehalle.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Awards-art.html
        Your-1st-Evnt-art "Going to your 1st Event
"
        by Lady Alison Wodehalle.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Your-1st-Evnt-art.html

        Here are the updated files for this month.
        armor-books-msg Books about medieval armor. Reviews.
        Paris-msg Medieval points of interest in and around Paris.
        peasants-msg Peasants in period and SCA. peasant personas
        Persia-msg History and culture of period Persia.
        picnic-feasts-msg Ideas for light, picnic style feasts.
        spices-msg Info. on spices, sources for spices.
        ---
        Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

        <end>
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris